    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A: No.

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 18, 2006

  2. T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:09:43 +1300 when I remembered A Nice Cup
    of Tea <> saying something like this:

    >"Those of us in the business already know about botnets. Well, we should
    >know about them. In the tale, one security expert, who chases down
    >botnets, recounts how he called one large company to tell them that they
    >had 10,000 infected Windows PCs. The network administrator didn't have a
    >clue as to what to do about them. Doesn't that say it all?"
    >
    >http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7397661455.html

    Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to
    linux, he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
    and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver?
    Same with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
    misused. Same with operating systems.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 18, 2006

  3. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:09:43 +1300 when I remembered A Nice Cup
    > of Tea <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>"Those of us in the business already know about botnets. Well, we should
    >>know about them. In the tale, one security expert, who chases down
    >>botnets, recounts how he called one large company to tell them that they
    >>had 10,000 infected Windows PCs. The network administrator didn't have a
    >>clue as to what to do about them. Doesn't that say it all?"
    >>
    >>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7397661455.html

    > Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to
    > linux, he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    What have operating systems to do with network administrators? Systems
    administrators look after systems. In a company that size, network
    administrators talk IOS ( and whether that is secure now or not ), layer 2
    bridging and the like.

    > If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
    > and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
    > with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
    > misused. Same with operating systems.

    Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
    I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
    many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
    have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

    Steve, Feb 18, 2006
  4. T'was the Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:20:40 +1300 when I remembered Steve
    <> saying something like this:

    >> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
    >> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
    >> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
    >> misused. Same with operating systems.

    >Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
    >I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
    >many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
    >have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

    Well, I started doing system administration back in 2001 with Windows
    NT4 Server. I can't say I've ever set up a Linux box as a domain
    controller, but more used Linux for things like Web servers and mail
    servers from around 2002.

    Just a drop in a bucket really.

    I try not to be so biased towards Microsoft, but when I see that guy's
    posts, the blatant idiocy of the posts just makes me want to counter
    them with at least logical arguments biased the other way. I'm still a
    firm believer of the best solution for the problem, which often
    includes Linux.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 18, 2006
  5. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-18, Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:20:40 +1300 when I remembered Steve
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
    >>> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
    >>> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
    >>> misused. Same with operating systems.

    >>Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
    >>I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
    >>many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
    >>have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

    > Well, I started doing system administration back in 2001 with Windows
    > NT4 Server. I can't say I've ever set up a Linux box as a domain
    > controller, but more used Linux for things like Web servers and mail
    > servers from around 2002.
    >
    > Just a drop in a bucket really.
    >
    > I try not to be so biased towards Microsoft, but when I see that guy's
    > posts, the blatant idiocy of the posts just makes me want to counter
    > them with at least logical arguments biased the other way. I'm still a
    > firm believer of the best solution for the problem, which often
    > includes Linux.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    Do yourself a favour and ignore him then, Ive found in the past that if
    I respond to some of the known trolls, I get painted as extreme one way or
    the other
    If I just ignore them.. life is good :)

    Shane, Feb 18, 2006
  6. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:56:00 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > I'm still a firm
    > believer of the best solution for the problem, which often includes Linux.

    LOLOL!

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
    a hole in Microsoft products.

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 18, 2006
  7. A Nice Cup of Tea

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Do yourself a favour and ignore him then, Ive found in the past that
    > if
    > I respond to some of the known trolls, I get painted as extreme one
    > way or the other
    > If I just ignore them.. life is good :)

    Extreme isn't *always* bad. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 18, 2006
  8. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
    > he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.

    RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 20, 2006
  9. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:23:52 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
    >> he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    > True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
    >
    > RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    Why is it any different?
    Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    Murray Symon, Feb 20, 2006
  10. T'was the Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:30 +1300 when I remembered Murray
    Symon <> saying something like this:

    >Why is it any different?
    >Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    There's quite a practical (I think all of it actually) component to a
    RHCE exam. Same with the newer MCSE exams, using virtual server
    technology (correct me if I'm wrong here).
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 20, 2006
  11. On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:30 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    >>> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
    >>> he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    >> True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
    >>
    >> RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.

    > Why is it any different?
    > Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    It involves several different types of exam. Part of the assessment
    involves taking a box that has a number of things wrong with it, and
    fixing it, IIRC, within a certain timeframe.

    No multi-choice questions there.

    Most people who take the exam do not pass it on the first attempt, and it
    is NOT a cheap exam to take.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 20, 2006
  12. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:29:52 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    >>> True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
    >>>
    >>> RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.

    >> Why is it any different?
    >> Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    > It involves several different types of exam. Part of the assessment
    > involves taking a box that has a number of things wrong with it, and
    > fixing it, IIRC, within a certain timeframe.
    >
    > No multi-choice questions there.
    >
    > Most people who take the exam do not pass it on the first attempt, and
    > it is NOT a cheap exam to take.
    >
    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    OK, it's good that they have a practical test. Real-world experience
    with a peer review would be even better.
    But anything's better than a pressure-cooker course followed by
    multi-choice Q&A.

    --
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 20, 2006
  13. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:25:07 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:30 +1300 when I remembered Murray Symon
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Why is it any different?
    >>Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    > There's quite a practical (I think all of it actually) component to a RHCE
    > exam. Same with the newer MCSE exams, using virtual server technology
    > (correct me if I'm wrong here). --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    That's good to hear. The Windows certification exams I did back in
    the last century were just multi-choice question & answers.

    --
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 20, 2006
  14. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...
    > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:25:07 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    > > T'was the Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:30 +1300 when I remembered Murray Symon
    > > <> saying something like this:
    > >
    > >>Why is it any different?
    > >>Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    > > There's quite a practical (I think all of it actually) component to a RHCE
    > > exam. Same with the newer MCSE exams, using virtual server technology
    > > (correct me if I'm wrong here). --
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Waylon Kenning.
    > > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    > That's good to hear. The Windows certification exams I did back in
    > the last century were just multi-choice question & answers.

    Certainly aren't that way now.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Feb 20, 2006
  15. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:56:00 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:20:40 +1300 when I remembered Steve
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
    >>> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
    >>> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
    >>> misused. Same with operating systems.

    Lennier goofed again ...

    It doesn't take much to stop the common botnet. The instructions, Krebs
    gives in another small article, "Don't Let Your Computer Be Hijacked," are
    enough to stop 99 percent of attacks

    If you follow that link and follow the simple instructions you can in that
    guys view make your windows box 99% secure.

    A fact which folks in here have been telling lennier for the last 12 mnths.

    J.

    Jennings, Feb 22, 2006
  16. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...
    > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:23:52 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
    > >> he'd be a crap network administrator still.

    > > True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
    > >
    > > RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.
    > >

    > > A Nice Cup of Tea

    > Why is it any different?
    > Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    There is nothing wrong with MS certification, Murray is just talking
    crap as usual.

    Rob J, Feb 25, 2006
  17. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:47:24 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > There is nothing wrong with MS certification

    That's right - nothing that multi-choice answers can't help you with.

    That's how the M$ "exams" were. Who knows how they are now.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
    coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 25, 2006
  18. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:47:24 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > d says...

    >> > True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
    >> >
    >> > RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.
    >> >

    >> > A Nice Cup of Tea

    >> Why is it any different?
    >> Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

    > There is nothing wrong with MS certification, Murray is just talking crap
    > as usual.

    What? me or the other one? I jus tasked a question.

    --
    Murray Symon.

    Murray Symon, Feb 25, 2006