    it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
    router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
    this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 21, 2005

  2. BrianEWilliams

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 21 Apr 2005, BrianEWilliams writes
    >I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
    >service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
    >it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
    >router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
    >this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

    Would it be a good idea to say which country you're in, then you might
    get the correct answer.

    I suspect you're in Wales, but you could be in Australia for all we
    know, and POTS systems in different countries vary.

    DF

    David Floyd, Apr 21, 2005

  3. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
    > service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
    > it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
    > router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
    > this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

    First, run a single phone off the TA until it's working.

    Then, to "turn off POTS" make sure your wires are ALL disconnected
    and you have TAGGED the lines to make sure nobody reconnects them!

    Then connect the TA to your in-house phones and add one phone at a
    time to make sure they all ring as you add each one.

    Rick Merrill, Apr 21, 2005
  4. My mistake. I am in the US using a Linksys router and Vonage service.
    The router is model number RT31P2-VD. The REN for this router is 5.

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
    substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
    given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
    optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 21, 2005
  6. BrianEWilliams

    burris Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
    > substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
    > given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
    > optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

    Or....

    Get a phone system with one "base station" and x number of satellite
    phones. This way you only plug the base station into the VOIP adapter
    and all the other satellites only into an ac power plug., The prices
    have gone way down on these systems.

    As a security blanket, if you have a UPS and think that your broadband
    will remain up during a power outage, you can plug a regular corded
    phone into a two line splitter at the VOIP adapter as well and keep the
    adapter on the UPS..

    burris, Apr 21, 2005
  7. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:

    > Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
    > substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
    > given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
    > optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.

    TA or ATA for Telephone Adapter or Analog TA converts POTS lines to
    ethernet which then goes to cable modem.

    modem<==>TA<==>router...

    This allows the TA to throttle back the router info to preserve
    Quality Of Service (QoS) for the phone connection.

    Rick Merrill, Apr 21, 2005
  8. BrianEWilliams

    ivscorp Guest

    BrianEWilliams Wrote:
    > I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
    > service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
    > it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
    > router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in m
    > says
    > this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

    Unplug the line coming from old provider at DEMARC--run line t
    telephone jack for ATA router (phone plug on adapter) all phones o
    house wiring will have dial tone. Step by step instructions availabl
    at vonage web sit

    --
    ivscorp

    ivscorp, Apr 21, 2005
  9. BrianEWilliams

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

    Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
    machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

    OR

    How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
    into a single handset?

    OR

    USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
    well!

    OR

    see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
    telco call???

    THEN...........................................

    Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
    be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
    PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
    home office or for the family.

    Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
    Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
    Protecting your equipment.

    Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
    local line, hands free!.

    SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
    picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
    just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
    The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

    Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
    re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
    power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
    to household power supplies"

    Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
    with Combine-A-Line.

    USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

    WOW FREE SHIPPING!

    Add a second CLT to your auction win for only 13.99.

    Reduced shipping on second unit... only $2.42 ... wow reduced shipping

    Link to instructional video
    http://vincent.lemoine1.free.fr/tel2box/cut clt 6b 6 6 for windo
    ws%20media.wmv

    Answers from previous customers:

    A: this unit has many uses. it can combine two analog (regular plain Jane
    telephone lines) into a common point. This allows you to create a dual line
    telephone suite(telephone, answering. modem) etc for way less than the cost
    of a two line phone and two line answering machines and modems don't
    commonly exist. Further, VOIP has become very popular and users gain
    tremendous long distance rates rates, however they don't have a "local
    presence" and often back up the voip with a single plain Jane telephone
    line. the clt will join voip and telco to a signal automatic port for the
    ultimate convience! Plus no power supply or batteries to clutter your
    desktop! Plus all port surge protected to protect you equipment! plus two
    additional universal (I/O) line 1 and line 2 dedicated ports... enabling an
    even wider array of connection schemes.

    A: S&H outside CONUSA (48 USA states) costs more. The tariff diferene
    varies based on exact location. The range is about $1.00 to Canda and
    Mexico, and Hawaii. And is $3.00 to most of EU and Middle eastern locations.

    A: In coming activity is automatically routed to the auto output port.

    A: Out bound activity is automatic. Users can mnaully re-direct any cal and
    visually confirm which line is in use by observing the LED indication.

    A: The unit can be wired into a single telephone jack with the lines (four
    wire connectors) OR there are two additonal , inversal jacks that enable
    physical connnections to different phone access port. For example line 1 on
    a VOIP modem and line2 to your local Telco jack. The CLT can join any two
    lines and provide a single convient access point.

    A: The CLT does not require batteries or wall power supplies.

    Marc H.Popek, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    service.

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Thanks, but unless I am missing something, it seems like it is so easy
    to hook into the telephone wiring, I don't see the advantage in your
    suggestion as an alternative, other than the fun of buying a new toy.

    I currently have a wireless phone system with one base station and one
    satellite phone, which I use for Vonage service with decent results,
    but wired is always better quality than wireless, and I like the
    ergonomics of my desk phone. I only wish the wireless satellite phone
    had a telephone jack in the back so I could tap into the connection.

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Thanks. Here is the link from the Vonage website:

    http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?category=45&article=649

    Sorry to have bothered people here because they make it perfectly
    clear. For the record, here is what they say:

    <quote>
    One way to use Vonage on multiple phones is to modify the existing
    telephone wiring in your home to distribute the Vonage service to all
    of your phone jacks. Then you can plug a regular telephone into any
    jack and make a call.

    This option works best if you own your own single-family home. If you
    live in an apartment or a multiple-family dwelling, chances are your
    landlord and neighbors won't want you to mess with your building's
    telephone lines. It also helps if you are handy around the house and
    have a basic understanding of telephone wiring. It's not very difficult
    to modify your home phone wiring, but because you're dealing with lines
    that carry voltage, there's always a risk of causing a fire or damage
    to your phone lines and equipment. If you're not comfortable doing the
    work yourself, you should hire a professional electrician or telephone
    technician to do the job instead.

    It's important to note that by modifying your telephone wiring to
    distribute Vonage throughout your home, you'll be totally disconnecting
    yourself from the phone company. But the process is completely
    reversible. So if you sell your house in the future, for example, you
    can restore your old phone configuration with minimal difficulty.

    INSTRUCTIONS

    STEP ONE - ISOLATE YOUR INSIDE WIRING

    To re-wire your home for Vonage, you first need to isolate your inside
    phone wiring from the lines that come into your house from the phone
    company. This is a step you shouldn't skip, even if you think your
    phone line is already dead. If you don't isolate your inside wiring,
    and the phone company decides to send voltage across the line you
    thought was dead, it could damage the telephone equipment inside your
    house or worse, cause a fire.

    To begin, find the box on the outside of your house where the telephone
    lines come into your house from the street. This is called the Network
    Interface Unit (NIU). It's the legal demarcation point where the
    outside wiring from the street (owned by the telephone company) meets
    the wiring inside your house (owned by you). When you open the box,
    which is usually locked or fastened with a screw, you will have access
    to the side containing the wires going into your home, but not the side
    with the lines coming from the street. You'll also see a ground wire
    coming out of the phone company's side of the box. This wire protects
    you against lightning strikes, so make sure you never disconnect it.

    Once you've opened your side of the NIU, you'll see one or more sets of
    screw terminals inside. Each will have a short piece of telephone wire
    coming out of it with a phone connector on the end plugged into a
    corresponding jack. If there's only one line coming into your house,
    you'll most likely have only one set of screw terminals. To disconnect
    from the phone company, simply unplug each of the short telephone wires
    from its corresponding jack.

    Next, you need to make it obvious to others that you've unplugged the
    wires on purpose and they shouldn't undo your modifications without
    risking damage to your inside equipment. Start by wrapping the end of
    each of the telephone wires you just unplugged with electrical tape so
    it can't be plugged back in without unwrapping the tape. Then, clearly
    label the inside of the box with a message that says something like:
    "Do not reconnect! May cause damage to inside equipment!" A sign
    written or printed in waterproof ink and taped inside the box works
    well. No matter how you choose to label the box, be sure it is obvious,
    clear, and easy to read.

    Once you've clearly labeled the inside of the NIU, close and refasten
    the box. Then, just to be safe, label the outside of the box as well.
    To be extra safe, you can also wrap a cord or nylon tie-wrap around the
    box so it can't be opened without cutting it. Remember, to avoid
    damage, you want to make it as inconvenient as possible for someone to
    change what you've done without your knowledge.

    STEP TWO - CONFIRM THE LINE IS DISCONNECTED

    After you've isolated your wiring from the phone company's, it's
    important to confirm the line is disconnected before installing Vonage.

    previously worked. You should hear absolutely nothing; the line should
    be totally dead. If the line's not dead, go back and check your work.
    If your work looks correct and the line's still not dead, it means that
    voltage is somehow still being carried on the line and it's not safe
    for you to proceed any further. Consult a professional electrician or
    telephone technician for help.

    STEP THREE - CONNECT YOUR PHONE ADAPTER

    If you've successfully isolated your wiring and you've confirmed the
    line is dead, the hard part's over. It's time to connect to Vonage!

    Simply plug your DSL/cable modem into the Vonage phone adapter. Then
    plug your phone adapter into any telephone jack using a standard
    telephone cord. Finally, plug regular phones into the other jacks in
    your house. Telephone jacks are wired in parallel, so when you plug
    your phone adapter into any working jack, it will spread the signal to
    the other jacks in your home.

    Like any telephone line, there is a limit to the number of phones you
    can connect to a single Vonage line. If too many phones are connected,
    the signal will fade, and not all of the phones will ring when a call
    comes in. Therefore, we recommend you only connect five phones maximum
    to a single Vonage line.

    Congratulations! Your home is now wired with Vonage!
    </quote>

    BrianEWilliams, Apr 22, 2005
  13. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    > suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    > months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    > $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    > service.

    Some people have managed to have POTS on LIne1 and VoIP on Line2, so
    they receive the old number and place outgoing on free VoIP.

    The caution here is that theremust be NO connection in common with
    old service (for the sake of argument, even 'ground' mustbe separate,
    i.e. floating) = 4 completely independent wires.

    Rick Merrill, Apr 23, 2005
  14. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:

    > It's important to note that by modifying your telephone wiring to
    > distribute Vonage throughout your home, you'll be totally disconnecting
    > yourself from the phone company. But the process is completely
    > reversible[sic]. So if you sell your house in the future, for example, you
    > can restore your old phone configuration with minimal difficulty.

    That's a good point about keeping the setup reversable.

    Rick Merrill, Apr 23, 2005
  15. BrianEWilliams

    Dmitri Guest

    BrianEWilliams wrote:

    > Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    > suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    > months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    > $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    > service.

    Wow, not so quick!

    Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
    days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
    years until they agree about how to implement it.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

    Dmitri, Apr 23, 2005
  16. BrianEWilliams

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) <> wrote:
    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >> Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    >> suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    >> months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    >> $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    >> service.

    > Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
    > days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
    > years until they agree about how to implement it.

    Vonage (which I believe Brian is using) offers 911. So do cell phones, if he
    has one of those.

    miguel
    Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel

    Miguel Cruz, Apr 23, 2005
  17. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) <> wrote:
    >
    >>BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    >>>suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    >>>months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    >>>$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    >>>service.

    >>Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
    >>days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
    >>years until they agree about how to implement it.

    > Vonage (which I believe Brian is using) offers 911. So do cell phones, if he
    > has one of those.

    What they "offer" is connection to the "PSAP" which is generally the
    state police WHO does NOT get E911 info! That means they must ASK you
    were you are located!

    POTS E911 tells the local police where you are located withour your
    saying anything.

    Eventually the two may get connected, but not yet!

    Rick Merrill, Apr 23, 2005
  18. BrianEWilliams

    burris Guest

    Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) wrote:
    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    >>suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    >>months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    >>$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    >>service.

    > Wow, not so quick!
    >
    > Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
    > days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
    > years until they agree about how to implement it.

    This is not true. I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
    checked.

    burris, Apr 23, 2005
  19. BrianEWilliams

    Rick Merrill Guest

    burris wrote:
    .... I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
    > checked.

    Glad to here it. Can you share HOW you checked? (In MA I'd get
    in trouble if I just 'dialed it!')

    Rick Merrill, Apr 24, 2005
  20. BrianEWilliams

    dc Guest

    "Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" <> wrote
    in message news:mdwae.5273315$...
    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >

    > > Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
    > > suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
    > > months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
    > > $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
    > > service.

    > Wow, not so quick!
    >
    > Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
    > days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
    > years until they agree about how to implement it.

    don't really need 911... can always call fire or police or ambulance, just
    keep the numbers handy.

    dc, Apr 24, 2005