connecting via WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Goche, Sep 17, 2011.

  1. John Goche

    John Goche Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to connect to a router via WPS. At the moment this
    requires pushing the pushbutton on the router prior to
    connecting. I would like to be able to connect by entering
    a PIN into the router or pressing a pushbutton on the laptop
    that connects to the router. Alas, my laptop is brand new but
    I see no hardware pushbutton (is there a software pushbutton
    somewhere)? I cannot even find a PIN on my laptop (I can only
    see the router's PIN via HTTP from another laptop).

    I don't want to have to push the push button on the router every
    time I disconnect from a laptop and reconnect.

    How should I proceed?

    Suggestions welcome,

    Thanks,

    John Goche

    John Goche, Sep 17, 2011

  2. John Goche

    barb bowman Guest

    write it down and use it on the laptop you want to connect. the PIN is the same
    for all devices. once you connect, the network should be saved and you should
    not have to re-enter the PIN.

    Using WPS does NOT secure the router itself. the router password is left at the
    default. so log into the router manually and change the password to access the
    router itself.

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:08:03 -0700 (PDT), John Goche
    <> wrote:

    >I cannot even find a PIN on my laptop (I can only
    >see the router's PIN via HTTP from another laptop).

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com