    exchange or otherwise manipulate files on either machine to the other.

    Both have network cards. What is the cheapest method to connect the two and
    how do I do it?

    crest, Jun 9, 2007

  2. crest

    Leythos Guest

    In article <K8pai.40772$>,
    says...
    > I have two PC's, one with XP Pro and the other Win98SE.
    >
    > Just for my entertainment and experience I wish to connect them so I can
    > exchange or otherwise manipulate files on either machine to the other.
    >
    > Both have network cards. What is the cheapest method to connect the two and
    > how do I do it?

    The "easiest" is by purchasing a NAT Router for $50 from your local
    computer parts place. The cheapest method is purchasing a CROSSOVER
    cable and manually assigning IP addresses.

    *** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm Exposed to Kids ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm REMOVED ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunters.htm Exposed to Kids ...
    All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

    Leythos, Jun 9, 2007

  3. crest

    crest Guest

    Leythos:

    Thank you for your prompt and courteous response.

    I'm an old man and a little bewildered by computers and the machinations of
    using them although I started with Commodore and have worked my way up
    by building my own PC's - forced by a lack of financial means to buy a ready
    built one(s).
    I have a router, a Linksys BEFSR41. Does this correspond to NAT router?
    I also have crossover cables. What I really need is a bit more knowledge of
    what I wish to do.

    crest, Jun 9, 2007
  4. crest

    streaming Guest

    "crest" <> wrote in message
    > Leythos:
    >
    > Thank you for your prompt and courteous response.
    >
    > I'm an old man and a little bewildered by computers and the machinations
    > of
    > using them although I started with Commodore and have worked my way up
    > by building my own PC's - forced by a lack of financial means to buy a
    > ready
    > built one(s).
    > I have a router, a Linksys BEFSR41. Does this correspond to NAT router?
    > I also have crossover cables. What I really need is a bit more knowledge
    > of
    > what I wish to do.

    If you want to keep it simple and just the 2 PC's networked via
    ethernet sharing an internet connection, printers and scanners,
    file transfer/backup etc, it's very straightforward.
    Have a read of these:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network
    http://tinyurl.com/3aup8s
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487/en-us
    http://compnetworking.about.com/

    streaming, Jun 9, 2007
  5. crest

    Plato Guest

    crest wrote:

    > I have two PC's, one with XP Pro and the other Win98SE.
    >
    > Just for my entertainment and experience I wish to connect them so I can
    > exchange or otherwise manipulate files on either machine to the other.
    >
    > Both have network cards. What is the cheapest method to connect the two and
    > how do I do it?

    Networking

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/...indows_XP_Networking_Microsoft_Windows_XP.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  6. crest

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ajqai.417090$>,
    says...
    > Leythos:
    >
    > Thank you for your prompt and courteous response.
    >
    > I'm an old man and a little bewildered by computers and the machinations of
    > using them although I started with Commodore and have worked my way up
    > by building my own PC's - forced by a lack of financial means to buy a ready
    > built one(s).
    > I have a router, a Linksys BEFSR41. Does this correspond to NAT router?
    > I also have crossover cables. What I really need is a bit more knowledge of
    > what I wish to do.

    You need both computers to be using TCP and File/Printer sharing - look
    at the network settings on both. Now, you need to disable the Windows XP
    firewall as it will block file/printer sharing.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/quick_guide_to_simple_file_sharing.htm

    http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

    If 95/98 is involved:

    http://extension.oregonstate.edu/esoc/ectu/support/helpdocs/win2kxpto959
    8fs.php

    Let me know if those links don't help you.

    Leythos, Jun 10, 2007