    retaining the ability to connect the two pcs?
    Thanks
    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQkJDIFVL?=, Feb 23, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQkJDIFVL?=

    Joan Archer Guest

    I suppose you could try with a crossover cable between the two.
    Joan

    Joan Archer, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Hi
    A Wireless Router setting would be more reliable and would provide a better
    flexible Network.
    Howvever Ad-Hoc should work too.
    It is Not clear from your description what the issue is. What exactly you do
    that stop the connection and how are you trying to connect again.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 23, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQkJDIFVL?=

    Lem Guest

    Steve BBC UK wrote:
    > Dear All
    > I have a wireless card on my laptop and a wireless card on my desktop. I can
    > create an adhoc wireless connection. I don't have a router. Once I close the
    > connection, there seems to be no way of opening it up again. In order to
    > repeat a connection, I suppose I need a router. Is there any other way of
    > retaining the ability to connect the two pcs?
    > Thanks
    > Steve

    What version of Windows are you using?

    In WinXP, there should be no problem in automatically re-connecting to
    an ad hoc network (as long as there are no preferred infrastructure
    networks in range). Please describe what you do and what happens. The
    more detail you give, the easier it will be to diagnose what's going on.

    Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your
    wireless adapters or are you using a utility that came with the hardware?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Hello Lem
    Thank you for your reply
    > What version of Windows are you using?

    I am using Xp home and xp professional

    > In WinXP, there should be no problem in automatically re-connecting to
    > an ad hoc network (as long as there are no preferred infrastructure
    > networks in range). Please describe what you do and what happens. The
    > more detail you give, the easier it will be to diagnose what's going on.

    I set up a wireless connection between my laptop and desktop using the
    procedure in
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx.

    After doing this, I was able to connect. When I disconnected, I was unable
    to reconnect. I go to 'Network Connections' on both machines, double click on
    'Wireless Network Connection' but I can't see the name of the network
    connection I gave: 'MyNetworkConnection'. If I click on 'Change the order of
    network connections', I can see the connection I set up, but I can't see it
    on the list of available networks.

    > Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your
    > wireless adapters or are you using a utility that came with the hardware?

    For my desktop, I am using the driver (?) that came with the hardware. I
    don't know what Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is. I have been able to
    connect to other wireless networks on my laptop. On my desktop, I am able to
    see other available networks.

    Does this help?

    Thank you.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQkJDIFVL?=, Feb 23, 2007
  6. Hi
    Wireless cards usually come with a utility that is provided by the card's
    manufacturer.
    Windows XP provide an alternative utility call Wireless Zero Configuration.
    As a first rule if you use the original Utility, switch Off WZC and vice
    versa (http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html).
    The beauty of WZC is the nice Traybar Icon and the capacity to easily
    manipulate the connections. However, that is a help with infrastructure
    Wireless (the one connection to Access Points). When using WZC and mixing
    Ad-Hoc and infrastructure the result are less flexibility (as you
    experience).
    If you switch off WZC and use the Brand utility you would have better
    Ad-Hoc, but probably more trouble to switch back the laptop to
    infrastructure.
    Therefore, as long as the Laptop is used for A-Hoc locally and
    infrastructure elsewhere you would have to deal with this nuisance.
    Hence, my comment in my previous posts about flexibility and Wireless
    Router.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 23, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQkJDIFVL?=

    Lem Guest

    Steve BBC UK wrote:
    > Hello Lem
    > Thank you for your reply
    >> What version of Windows are you using?

    > I am using Xp home and xp professional
    >
    >> In WinXP, there should be no problem in automatically re-connecting to
    >> an ad hoc network (as long as there are no preferred infrastructure
    >> networks in range). Please describe what you do and what happens. The
    >> more detail you give, the easier it will be to diagnose what's going on.

    > I set up a wireless connection between my laptop and desktop using the
    > procedure in
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx.
    >
    > After doing this, I was able to connect. When I disconnected, I was unable
    > to reconnect. I go to 'Network Connections' on both machines, double click on
    > 'Wireless Network Connection' but I can't see the name of the network
    > connection I gave: 'MyNetworkConnection'. If I click on 'Change the order of
    > network connections', I can see the connection I set up, but I can't see it
    > on the list of available networks.
    >
    >> Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your
    >> wireless adapters or are you using a utility that came with the hardware?

    > For my desktop, I am using the driver (?) that came with the hardware. I
    > don't know what Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is. I have been able to
    > connect to other wireless networks on my laptop. On my desktop, I am able to
    > see other available networks.
    >
    > Does this help?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Have you installed Service Pack 2 for Win XP in both computers?

    How did you "disconnect" from the network after you initially connected?
    I know that you said that you can see other wireless networks from
    both computers, but it almost seems as if you have turned off the
    wireless network adapter in one of them.

    If you notice in the screenshot shown in steps 6 and 7 of the article
    you followed, there is a checkbox at the top of the screen that says
    "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings." If that box
    is checked, then you are using "Windows Wireless Zero Configuration."

    The problem is that sometimes the manufacturer of the wireless hardware
    provides its own configuration software (this is different from the
    driver). You can use either Windows or the manufacturer's configuration
    utility, but using both at the same time may cause problems. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    Do you have any icons in the notification area (next to the clock) that
    relate to wireless networking OTHER than the icon shown in the article
    (scroll down to the section headed "How to set up additional
    computers")? If so, you may well have another configuration utility
    running. If you tell me the make/model of the wireless adapters in your
    computers, I *may* be able to tell you the name of a process to look for.

    Do you have the wireless networking icon next to the clock as shown in
    the article? On both computers? Hover the mouse over the icon. What
    does it say (on each computer)?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Feb 23, 2007