    of this in.

    Can somebody please help me with network design?

    Brad Wilson

    brad, Aug 13, 2003

  2. can' t you have both switches connected to the router?
    if not what you can do on one of the server install RRAS and use it as a
    router
    - the server needs to have 2 NIC cards one on each subnet
    then you can hook one switch to the router and configure the RRAS on the
    server to route between both networks

    basically your network will look like this:

    router---switch one---- SERVER(RRAS)---- switch two

    --

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
    "brad" <> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    >
    > I am looking for some broad info. I have somewhat an idea of what I want

    > do but any input would be good.
    >
    > I have two servers and about seventy-five hosts. I am going to use (2) 48
    > port switches to connect these. I am also going to have a router for the
    > internet. I want to find out the best way to connect all of this. The
    > easiest way is to uplink the two switches and then uplink the router to

    the
    > switch. I do not want to do this. I want to setup two switches and each
    > computer on each of those have two different subnets. This way I do not
    > have traffic from one switch flowing to the other. I wish to have both
    > servers hanging off of one switch but I don't know the best way to plug

    all

    Wajihy [MSFT], Aug 14, 2003

  3. brad

    billyw Guest

    is there a specific end result that u're trying to achieve?
    more specific than just the 2 subnet.

    billyw, Aug 14, 2003
  4. brad

    Ron Gabaree Guest

    Brad,

    A word of caution. You might want to seek out someone face to face. You are
    going to find that asking broad questions of this nature to a bunch of
    techies (myself very much included) will get you about 100 different
    answers...that will likely all be correct to some degree.

    This is similar to asking 10 lawyers a question about handling a legal
    matter. They will all have a different answer. Putting all of the answers
    will likely cause you to be more confused than when you began.

    My .02....

    It is probably worht what it cost you!

    I hope this helps...

    Ron

    Ron Gabaree, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Brad,

    Just be careful not to create any loops in your network. If you plug both
    switches into the router, and no two devices on the other side of the 2
    switches connect another way (via a multi-homed server that routes,
    whatever), you should be fine. Otherwise, you might create a loop. Keep in
    mind you never want a P.O.S. router to route your ethernet traffic between
    switches. Uplinking both switches then plugging the router into either
    switch is the best option, in my humble opinion. If you have 100mbps
    switches you will not notice any difference unless you have a huge outbound
    pipe and tons of outbound traffic ... most offices don't. Even still, any
    other solution would probably be on the same level of efficiency.

    I've chased down several IPX/SPX loops in Netware that stupid Network
    Administrators created by not knowing what they were doing. This scenario
    can really bog down any network. Draw it on a piece of paper if all else
    fails.

    clint

    Clint Kennedy, Aug 14, 2003
  6. brad

    Sait Ozceviz Guest

    did you try VLAN by configuring the swithces ? this may help you.

    Sait Ozceviz
    MCSE, MCSA, AIXP

    Sait Ozceviz, Aug 14, 2003
  7. brad

    Guest Guest

    The easiest way to do this is as you say, uplink the two switches and uplink
    the router, one subnet. Place one server on one switch, the other server on
    the other switch. If you are running 100Mb nics, and 100Mb switches, your
    traffic is going to be negligible. A VLAN will work, but if your client
    computers make frequent calls to the servers (e-mail server, file/print
    server etc...) you're still going to have traffic back-and-forth between the
    switches. This means that you can have all traffic see each other, and have
    one default gateway (the internet router). Doing this any other way means
    that you sacrifice simplicity and diagnostic ability. The simplicity in this
    would be that you would have the following:

    10.0.0.1 (router - inside interface) - *?*?*?*? outside i/f
    10.0.0.2 (switch 1)
    10.0.0.3 (switch 2)
    10.0.0.4 (server 1) - server 1 resides on switch 1
    10.0.0.5 (server 2) - server 2 resides on switch 2
    10.0.0.50-200 - all clients
    10.0.0.201-254 - use for bootp/dhcp

    Your server and clients would have the following IP config:

    10.0.0.?
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 10.0.0.1

    To speed the network up, build a static host table and place on each
    machine, this would eliminate wins and wins queries. Also, if you know your
    users, you can put both the servers on one switch, and add all the power
    users to that switch as well, the remaining users can go on the second
    switch.

    VLAN's work best when you have departmental servers - i.e. the accounting
    department has its own file/print server and all are on VLAN1. The e-mail
    server is in VLAN2. All traffic for the accounting department remains in
    VLAN1, except when a call is made to the e-mail server, at this point only
    the client requesting the call is passed from VLAN1 to VLAN2. On networks
    that host Exchange or similar servers, calls are made too frequently to gain
    any benefits. If you do decide to use a VLAN, remember, you can have a VLAN
    that spans two switches (on similar switches - 3Com for e.g).

    Subnetting does the same thing except you would need to have a router to
    join the two subnets (and you can't use the one you want to use for the
    internet).

    Regards,

    Guest, Sep 11, 2003