    remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    desktop through the laptop?

    Would this be done with a router or other device?

    richard, Sep 17, 2010

  2. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:33:44 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 09/17/2010 10:30 AM, richard wrote:
    >> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is
    >> it remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on
    >> the desktop through the laptop?
    >>
    >> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    > a router would make sense

    Make sure both are in the same work-group.

    Meat Plow, Sep 17, 2010

  3. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 17/09/2010 16:30, richard wrote:
    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    > remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    > desktop through the laptop?

    Yes

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 17, 2010
  4. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    > remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    > desktop through the laptop?

    Yes, but you didn't mention what kinds of 'connectivity' hardware these
    machines have. The typical modern desktop has ethernet but no serial
    port (or LPT printer for that matter), while the typical modern laptop
    has ethernet and wireless 802.11 b/g/n.

    That connectivity hardware can be used with a wireless 802.11 router
    (which also has wired ethernet ports) to establish a home LAN which
    network has windows file and printer sharing enabled.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2010
  5. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    <some useless ad hominem>

    I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
    posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
    information compared to the number in which you are attempting to insult
    someone else.

    Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone else
    who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try to
    think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to say
    negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful or useful.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2010
  6. Evan Platt wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    > Yes.

    I was waiting for you to recommend the even better "two tin cans and
    string" method. 'Swat I use; works well. I have 30Mbps string, too.

    --
    -bts
    -Could. Not. Resist.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2010
  7. richard

    fred-bloggs Guest

    richard <> wrote in news:qskia6tx2fjp$.fq53rtlwxjbz.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    > remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    > desktop through the laptop?
    >
    > Would this be done with a router or other device?

    You can connect wirelessly if you have wireless adapters on both machines.

    You can connect wired using a Ethernet crossover cable.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 17, 2010
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:21:54 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    > <some useless ad hominem>
    >
    > I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
    > posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
    > information compared to the number in which you are attempting to insult
    > someone else.
    >
    > Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone else
    > who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try to
    > think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to say
    > negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful or useful.

    Good job 'ol boy, good job. Keep up the good work.
    I quit replying to the SOB simply for the fact he just loves to argue.

    richard, Sep 17, 2010
  9. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Evan Platt wrote:

    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    >> Yes.

    >I was waiting for you to recommend the even better "two tin cans and
    >string" method. 'Swat I use; works well. I have 30Mbps string, too.

    But it's hard to find a cross-over can.

    Mike "RFC 1149 - TCP over Avian Carriers" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 17, 2010
  10. richard

    NotMe Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    > remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    > desktop through the laptop?
    >
    > Would this be done with a router or other device?

    I've been playing with www.teamviewer.com application. Free for private
    use. Not been playing with it long enough to say yea or nay but so far it
    works.

    NotMe, Sep 17, 2010
  11. Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes:
    >>Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes.

    >> I was waiting for you to recommend the even better "two tin cans and
    >> string" method. 'Swat I use; works well. I have 30Mbps string, too.

    > But it's hard to find a cross-over can.

    Oh, that's easy. Stand them both vertically; squeeze one in the
    north-south direction, the other in the east-west direction. Poof!
    Cross-over cans!

    > Mike "RFC 1149 - TCP over Avian Carriers" Yetto

    <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2010
  12. richard

    John Holmes Guest

    philo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 09/17/2010 10:30 AM, richard wrote:
    >> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista,
    >> is it remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files
    >> on the desktop through the laptop?
    >>
    >> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    > a router would make sense

    A router would only make sense when he wants internet connectivity on
    both machines. Otherwise, a switch or hub or even a cross-cable would
    suffice.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 17, 2010
  13. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    "NotMe" <> wrote:

    >I've been playing with www.teamviewer.com application. Free for private
    >use. Not been playing with it long enough to say yea or nay but so far it
    >works.

    Have you also tried LogMeIn Free? That's what I use to support freinds and
    family and I have not tried Teamviewer yet. It's on my list along with
    Crossloop to try. I have to pick one for my "soon-to-be-live" web site where I
    will offer to fix borked 'puters for some moolah.

    On a side note, I got an invitation to take the "Geek Squad Certification" quiz
    on Support Space.com. Missed 3 out of 20 but they were about GS policies that
    no documentation was provided. They guarantee $15/hr. once you pass all the
    modules and are officially certified. I'm up late most nights so I figure I can
    get about $50 in a couple of hours while I'm watching TV and waiting on the
    scanners to finish. I'm guessing actual "work time" out of 4 hours will
    probably be 45 minutes or so.

    G. Morgan, Sep 18, 2010
  14. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:57:24 -0500, NotMe wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    >> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    >> desktop through the laptop?
    >>
    >> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    > I've been playing with www.teamviewer.com application. Free for private
    > use. Not been playing with it long enough to say yea or nay but so far it
    > works.

    I don't want to have to be online to be connected.

    richard, Sep 18, 2010
  15. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is
    > it remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on
    > the desktop through the laptop?
    >
    > Would this be done with a router or other device?

    Two network cards and cables/terminators actually. A router if you want
    to use *more* than two computers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 18, 2010
  16. richard

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:21:54 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Evan Platt wrote:
    >><some useless ad hominem>
    >>
    >>I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
    >>posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
    >>information compared to the number in which you are attempting to
    >>insult someone else.
    >>
    >>Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone
    >>else who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try
    >>to think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to
    >>say negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful
    >>or useful.

    > Go for it. He's all yours. I've tried to politely help him a number of
    > times, and I think maybe ONCE I got a "Evan's answer worked".
    >
    > n00bs ask simple questions, he replies "Do you not know Google?"
    >
    > About a month ago, he posted in the RV group that he has no teeth.
    > Fell in the snow and lost all his teeth (not even sure how that's
    > possible). Anyway, he has a bad pain in his mouth. He asked for
    > advice. In a moment of weakness, I gave him a fairly detailed
    > suggestion - NSAID / Nonsteroidal Anti inflammatory - Motrin or
    > ibuprofen.. He tells me to piss off.
    >
    > Then about a week later, he says "I've been doing some research on the
    > subject, and found Motrin."
    >
    > So umm.. Yeah. He can do his own homework as far as I care.
    >
    > Have YOU ever seen the fucker say "Thanks for the help?"
    >
    > No. He rants about what he saw on Cops, Law and Order, CSI,
    > Mythbusters, and when he's corrected, simply argues that he's right or
    > the people correcting him are assholes.
    >
    > Good luck with that.

    Evan, have you ever been told you're a useless, arrogant fuckstain? If
    not, you have been now.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2010
  17. richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:57:24 -0500, NotMe wrote:
    >
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
    >>> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    >>> desktop through the laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Would this be done with a router or other device?

    >> I've been playing with www.teamviewer.com application. Free for private
    >> use. Not been playing with it long enough to say yea or nay but so far it
    >> works.

    > I don't want to have to be online to be connected.

    Crossover cable, you dope.

    Word.

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 18, 2010
  18. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Evan Platt <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:21:54 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    >wrote:

    >>Evan Platt wrote:
    >><some useless ad hominem>
    >>
    >>I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
    >>posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
    >>information compared to the number in which you are attempting to insult
    >>someone else.
    >>
    >>Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone else
    >>who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try to
    >>think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to say
    >>negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful or useful.

    >Go for it. He's all yours. I've tried to politely help him a number of
    >times, and I think maybe ONCE I got a "Evan's answer worked".

    And the rest of the time you act like a fan-boi. As long as he
    lives in your head any post of yours that follows one of his in a
    thread is suspect at best.

    Mike "he->(richard,chuckcar)" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 18, 2010
  19. richard

    Anyone Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:30:35 -0700, richard wrote:

    > As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is
    > it remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
    > desktop through the laptop?
    >
    > Would this be done with a router or other device?

    (see also: reply from Desk Rabbit)

    Depends on what else you want to do. Go ogle this:

    "remote access windows 7", first couple of hits.

    Anyone, Sep 26, 2010
  20. richard

    tony Guest

    yes it can be done via a router . you just have to set up file shareing via
    both machines

    tony, Sep 26, 2010