    thanks.

    --
    Bernadette McAlister
    Bernie McAlister, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Bernie McAlister

    °Mike° Guest

    The cheapest, and fastest, way to transfer files is to remove the
    hard drive from the old computer, and set it as a slave in the new
    computer.

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:44:14 -0000, in
    <>
    Bernie McAlister scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Bernie McAlister wrote:

    > Can someone give me help on connecting an old computer to a new computer to
    > copy over files. Can I use a USB cable from one computer to the other and if
    > so do I need to set up the computers to copy using this method.
    > thanks.

    I've seen packages that let you "dump" stuff from one MS-Windows
    computer to another via USB (I think)....

    But if both have USB, I would guess they both have Ethernet as well.
    Wouldn't the easier long-run solution be to network the two?

    If nothing else, you could use the "old" machine as a file server
    (MP3's, Movies, etc).

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Bernie McAlister

    Ivor Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:44:14 -0000, "Bernie McAlister"
    <> wrote:

    >Can someone give me help on connecting an old computer to a new computer to
    >copy over files. Can I use a USB cable from one computer to the other and if
    >so do I need to set up the computers to copy using this method.
    >thanks

    Some intro info

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm

    Exchanging the drive sounds good cus its free. Other methods may need
    a small outlay.
    Ivor, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Bernie McAlister

    Terry Ashley Guest

    can you give a little bit more detail, example what OS > is it like win3x -
    98 - XP or something?

    usually you can connnect them via parallel, if you can network the old
    computer then you can copy over your files via standard TCP/IP connection,

    what OS would be helpful.

    tash

    Terry Ashley, Dec 28, 2003