    Thanks and Regards,
    Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)
    , Sep 28, 2006

  2. Gordon Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?

    No you can't.

    > If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    > want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    > computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.

    Unfortunately you will have to if you want to connect more than one machine
    at once. Unless you use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which means that
    the host machine must be on for the other to connect....with a router that
    doesn't happen....
    Gordon, Sep 28, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same
    > time? If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I
    > do not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to
    > connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
    > advise.

    You want a router. They are not expensive. Use ethernet if you can; more
    reliable than USB.

    What real reason could you cite for *not* wanting to use one? Further,
    it will act as a security device to help protect your computers from
    probing from the outside. (Yes, you will need to take those steps, too.)

    I have a US$20 router sitting here with three computers connected to my
    cable modem round the clock.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-28, <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    > If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    > want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    > computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    Does the 'modem' have any instructions or documentation with it (possibly
    on a CD) that could answer your question? If Telewest supplied it then
    they might just possibly know what it can and can't do. I doubt if both
    the 'Ethernet' and 'USB' connections can be used at the same time, though.
    ('Ethernet' is more suitable for making any sort of internet or network
    connection).

    Getting a router to work is not usually difficult, and makes life a lot
    easier. A good router will also provide a degree of protection to your
    computers from some of the nasties prowling the internet - something well
    worth having when your internet connection is fast and 'always on' or
    running for long periods.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 28, 2006
  5. EricP Guest

    On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    >as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    >ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    >If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    >want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    >computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    >Thanks and Regards,
    >Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    Only one machine can be used at any one time.

    You must get a router for both to be used.
    EricP, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    > If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    > want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    > computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    OK, I will be the odd one out.

    With *some* of the modems you can use both connections simultaneously.
    Setup the USB connection first using the software provided, and when
    that is working OK, plug in the ethernet connection to the other
    computer. It doesn't always work, but often enough to be worth trying.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 28, 2006
  7. EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    >>as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    >>ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    >>If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    >>want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    >>computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    >>Thanks and Regards,
    >>Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    > Only one machine can be used at any one time.
    >
    > You must get a router for both to be used.

    Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
    The Old Sourdough, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Yddap Guest

    In news:451bdd05$0$15625$,
    Oldus Fartus <> opined loudly:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as
    >> well as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I
    >> use both ports to connect two different computers to internet at the
    >> same time? If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline
    >> is, I do not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need
    >> to connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
    >> advise. Thanks and Regards,
    >> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)
    >>

    > OK, I will be the odd one out.
    >
    > With *some* of the modems you can use both connections simultaneously.
    > Setup the USB connection first using the software provided, and when
    > that is working OK, plug in the ethernet connection to the other
    > computer. It doesn't always work, but often enough to be worth
    > trying.

    Will not work on Telewst / Blueyonder only one at a time

    Aside " wonder if Sherkahn is a troll ?"
    --

    Yddap
    Yddap, Sep 28, 2006
  9. EricP Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:39:30 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    <> wrote:

    >EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, ""
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    >>>as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    >>>ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    >>>If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    >>>want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    >>>computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    >>>Thanks and Regards,
    >>>Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    >> Only one machine can be used at any one time.
    >>
    >> You must get a router for both to be used.
    >>

    >Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

    She didn't want ICS. She wanted to use the two connections on the CM.
    EricP, Sep 28, 2006
  10. EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:39:30 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    >>> Only one machine can be used at any one time.
    >>>
    >>> You must get a router for both to be used.
    >>>

    >>Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

    > She didn't want ICS. She wanted to use the two connections on the CM.

    She also said she didn't want to use a router. You said she must. Not true.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 28, 2006
  11. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    > If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    > want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    > computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

    I asked the same question of my ISP at the time.
    They said flat out "NO!".
    The modem has the two connections so you can use either, but not both.
    If you use both, you'd fry it.
    That's what they told me.
    You'd be better off using a router with the router connected to the modem.
    richard, Sep 28, 2006
  12. Oldus Fartus Guest

    richard wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    >> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    >> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    >> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    >> want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    >> computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    >> Thanks and Regards,
    >> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)
    >>

    > I asked the same question of my ISP at the time.
    > They said flat out "NO!".
    > The modem has the two connections so you can use either, but not both.
    > If you use both, you'd fry it.
    > That's what they told me.
    > You'd be better off using a router with the router connected to the modem.

    Don't believe everything your ISP tells you then. I have seen it work
    successfully with Linksys, Netcomm and Siemens modems.

    (Yeah though, with the trivial cost of routers, I don't know why people
    bother.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 29, 2006
  13. Gordon Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > richard wrote:
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    >>> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    >>> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
    >>> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    >>> want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
    >>> computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
    >>> Thanks and Regards,
    >>> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)
    >>>

    >> I asked the same question of my ISP at the time.
    >> They said flat out "NO!".
    >> The modem has the two connections so you can use either, but not both.
    >> If you use both, you'd fry it.
    >> That's what they told me.
    >> You'd be better off using a router with the router connected to the
    >> modem.
    >>

    > Don't believe everything your ISP tells you then. I have seen it work
    > successfully with Linksys, Netcomm and Siemens modems.

    But not the free ones you get from ISPs.......
    Gordon, Sep 29, 2006
  14. Oldus Fartus Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I asked the same question of my ISP at the time.
    >>> They said flat out "NO!".
    >>> The modem has the two connections so you can use either, but not both.
    >>> If you use both, you'd fry it.
    >>> That's what they told me.
    >>> You'd be better off using a router with the router connected to the
    >>> modem.
    >>>

    >> Don't believe everything your ISP tells you then. I have seen it work
    >> successfully with Linksys, Netcomm and Siemens modems.
    >>

    > But not the free ones you get from ISPs.......

    Yep, with the free ones you get from ISPs! One of the common ones here
    in Australia distributed as "free" through the major ISPs is the
    Speedstream.

    The ISPs concerned say it will not work, the manufacturers say it will
    not work - but it does work using both ports simultaneously.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 30, 2006
  15. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-30, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't believe everything your ISP tells you then. I have seen it work
    >>> successfully with Linksys, Netcomm and Siemens modems.
    >>>

    >> But not the free ones you get from ISPs.......
    >>

    > Yep, with the free ones you get from ISPs! One of the common ones here
    > in Australia distributed as "free" through the major ISPs is the
    > Speedstream.
    >
    > The ISPs concerned say it will not work, the manufacturers say it will
    > not work - but it does work using both ports simultaneously.

    I wonder how it knows which computer to send the data to?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 30, 2006
  16. Oldus Fartus Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-09-30, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>> But not the free ones you get from ISPs.......
    >>>

    >> Yep, with the free ones you get from ISPs! One of the common ones here
    >> in Australia distributed as "free" through the major ISPs is the
    >> Speedstream.
    >>
    >> The ISPs concerned say it will not work, the manufacturers say it will
    >> not work - but it does work using both ports simultaneously.

    > I wonder how it knows which computer to send the data to?

    Good question - dunno.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 30, 2006
  17. Al Pilarcik Guest

    sherkhanthegreat wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
    > as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
    > ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?

    Most ISPs provide a single IP address via the cable modem.

    Even if Telewest does provide two, or more IP addreses, it's not a good idea
    to use both the USB and ethernet interfaces concurrently.

    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/downloads/SB5120_Quick_Ref_Guiide.pdf

    > If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
    > want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect
    > both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.

    Use a router.
    Al Pilarcik, Sep 30, 2006
  18. George Guest

    Al Pilarcik wrote:
    > sherkhanthegreat wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as
    >> well as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I
    >> use both ports to connect two different computers to internet at the
    >> same time?

    > Most ISPs provide a single IP address via the cable modem.
    >
    > Even if Telewest does provide two, or more IP addreses, it's not a
    > good idea to use both the USB and ethernet interfaces concurrently.

    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/downloads/SB5120_Quick_Ref_Guiide.pdf

    >> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do
    >> not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to
    >> connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
    >> advise.

    > Use a router.

    I don't understand the problem. I have a cheap toshiba cable modem. I use
    both ports with no problem at all. I also had a 2-line dsl modem. Same
    thing. No problem at all. I tried installing a router and it made it
    through all the steps except it couldn't communicate with the router. I
    never could get the router to work but all I did was plug in the usb cable
    and the modem serves 2 computers.
    George, Sep 30, 2006
  19. Oldus Fartus Guest

    George wrote:
    > Al Pilarcik wrote:
    >> sherkhanthegreat wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as
    >>> well as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I
    >>> use both ports to connect two different computers to internet at the
    >>> same time?

    >> Most ISPs provide a single IP address via the cable modem.
    >>
    >> Even if Telewest does provide two, or more IP addreses, it's not a
    >> good idea to use both the USB and ethernet interfaces concurrently.
    >>

    > http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/downloads/SB5120_Quick_Ref_Guiide.pdf
    >>
    >>> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do
    >>> not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to
    >>> connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
    >>> advise.

    >> Use a router.

    > I don't understand the problem. I have a cheap toshiba cable modem. I use
    > both ports with no problem at all. I also had a 2-line dsl modem. Same
    > thing. No problem at all. I tried installing a router and it made it
    > through all the steps except it couldn't communicate with the router. I
    > never could get the router to work but all I did was plug in the usb cable
    > and the modem serves 2 computers.

    Thank you George, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had
    ever tried this and got it to work.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 30, 2006
  20. Al Pilarcik Guest

    George wrote:
    > Al Pilarcik wrote:
    >> sherkhanthegreat wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as
    >>> well as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I
    >>> use both ports to connect two different computers to internet at the
    >>> same time?

    >> Most ISPs provide a single IP address via the cable modem.
    >>
    >> Even if Telewest does provide two, or more IP addreses, it's not a
    >> good idea to use both the USB and ethernet interfaces concurrently.
    >>

    > http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/downloads/SB5120_Quick_Ref_Guiide.pdf
    >>

    >>> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do
    >>> not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to
    >>> connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
    >>> advise.

    >> Use a router.

    > I don't understand the problem. I have a cheap toshiba cable modem.
    > I use both ports with no problem at all. I also had a 2-line dsl
    > modem. Same thing. No problem at all. I tried installing a router
    > and it made it through all the steps except it couldn't communicate
    > with the router. I never could get the router to work but all I did
    > was plug in the usb cable and the modem serves 2 computers.

    Many ISPs will only allow one IP address per cable modem. Comcast is one
    such provider.
    Apparently, Cox allows two or more.

    Unlike the Motorola SB51xx series, the Toshiba PCX2200/2500/2600 series
    /does/ allow for the use of both interfaces concurrently.

    http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/pcx2500manual.pdf
    "Q: How can I connect multiple PC to the Cable Modem?
    A: You can use 10BASE-T and USB interfaces simultaneously, and also can use
    10BASE-T hub or switch for physical connection. Cable Modem is controlled by
    the
    Cable Operator to allocate how many PCs are available."

    This is not the case with majority of cable modems, nor will it work when
    the boot file of the cable modem allows for a single IP address.
    Al Pilarcik, Sep 30, 2006