connecting two computers over ADSL router

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    Sorry... I have asked this question in here before but can't for the
    life of me find the post and replies. I do know someone posted a
    useful link though.

    Can anyone provide me with some good links on how to network two
    computers that currently just share an ADSL connection via a 4 port
    ADSL router?

    I have a problem with one of the machines. I believe the CD-ROM drive
    has a fault and I need to load Digital Camera software from a CD onto
    it.

    My plan is to link the two computers together and then use the
    computer with the bad CD rom to access the one with the good CD Rom
    and install from that if possible.

    Unfortunately my flash drive is too small in size to copy the CD-ROM
    contents and run off that.

    Cheers for your help

    John

    John, Dec 30, 2004

  2. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in news:qgo8t0teifp8m7ef656ccgmrvasro16jl8@
    4ax.com:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Sorry... I have asked this question in here before but can't for the
    > life of me find the post and replies. I do know someone posted a
    > useful link though.
    >
    > Can anyone provide me with some good links on how to network two
    > computers that currently just share an ADSL connection via a 4 port
    > ADSL router?
    >
    > I have a problem with one of the machines. I believe the CD-ROM drive
    > has a fault and I need to load Digital Camera software from a CD onto
    > it.
    >
    > My plan is to link the two computers together and then use the
    > computer with the bad CD rom to access the one with the good CD Rom
    > and install from that if possible.
    >
    > Unfortunately my flash drive is too small in size to copy the CD-ROM
    > contents and run off that.
    >
    > Cheers for your help
    >
    > John

    The link should help. You set the cd rom drive for sharing. From the other
    machine you want to access the shared cd rom, you map a drive letter to the
    machine to access the cd rom drive on it. If you have any firewalls on the
    machines, set rules to allow traffic for the LAN/private side IP(s) or
    disable the FW(s) to allow traffic between the machines.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 30, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    >The link should help. You set the cd rom drive for sharing. From the other
    >machine you want to access the shared cd rom, you map a drive letter to the
    >machine to access the cd rom drive on it. If you have any firewalls on the
    >machines, set rules to allow traffic for the LAN/private side IP(s) or
    >disable the FW(s) to allow traffic between the machines.
    >
    >http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks mate. I'm going to get onto this right away. Have a great new
    year, and to the other regulars as well.. Thor, Plato, Weyoun The
    Dancing Borg, Ionizer, Trent, Wizard, Michael-NC, DeMoN LaG, Pepperoni
    etc etc.. Have a good one.

    John

    John, Dec 31, 2004
  4. John

    Guest

    I have a router/modem. As soon as you get it, you'll see how to
    connect it up.

    but don't get it yet if you just want it for file sharing because
    I would think that you can do file sharing with your 2 computers that
    currently just share an adsl connection.

    once done, put files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shared
    documents and they'll be accessible. I have had less luck with
    sharing other folders but you can right click any folder or drive,
    click 'sharing and security' and share it. Then access them from
    anothyer compouter through network neighbourhood or
    start.run..browse..look in.. 'my network' or start..'my network
    places'.

    , Dec 31, 2004
  5. John

    John Guest

    Hello!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR 2005!

    I'm having a little trouble setting up this network.

    I've put minor annoyances/issues and questions in { } so anything
    outside these are the main problems.

    So far I have supposedly set up a workgroup called MSHome on my XP
    machine, and oemworkgroup on my 98 machine.

    {Now though whenever I go to Explorer it pops up with the old dial-up
    connection box which I don't want as I am on ADSL, this is what the
    two computers share.}

    {Also when I start up the computer I have to click on my name before
    the password box appears, before it just used to always be there.}

    When I am in My Network Place on XP and click view workgroup
    computers, it comes up with a message saying its not accessible or I
    don't have permission.

    The list of Network Connections in XP seems to have changed slightly,
    I'm not sure how though.

    It has the Dial-Up section, Internet Gateway and Network Bridge.

    I'm sure Network Bridge wasn't there before it was called something
    different. and within that section there is also an icon called
    Network Bridge in addition to the Local Area Connection and 1394.

    On the Windows 98 computer I am even more confused, even if I follow
    the instructions on the link. When I go to view all the network
    connection in My Network Neighbourhood it lists OEMWorkgroup which is
    the name I gave to it on the 98se machine. It also lists MSHome from
    the XP machine, but when I double click it there's the information
    about it not being available or passwords authentication etc...

    I can see the OEMWorkgroup from the XP machine of the 98se machine
    when I view the entire network, but again I can't go into the 98
    computer, it comes up with an error saying not accessible and I don't
    have permission.

    I am thinking I should delete these two and just start over again. I
    have heard though that it is difficult to set up a network between XP
    and 98?

    I want to be able to access drive G (DVD/CD Rom) on my XP machine from
    my 98 machine, and access everything on the 98 machine from my XP
    machine.

    I have got the share symbol/hand under the C drive on the 98 machine
    and the same under the G drive on the XP machine, so it is just the
    actual network connection that is the problem.

    If you can help I'd be very grateful. It has got to be something to
    do with usernames, passwords and permissions.

    There has got to be somewhere I can go to allow permission to all
    users from the 98 machine to access the G drive of the XP machine and
    to also allow all users of the XP machine to access all the 98
    machine.

    I've not done much networking previously, apart from setting up the
    ADSL router and getting the 98 and XP machine to share the same 1MB
    ADSL connection. And also I once transferred files from a really old
    95 machine to a 98 machine using a parallel connection. That was
    quite a time consuming process.

    Cheers for any help.

    John

    John, Jan 2, 2005
  6. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in news:sleet09u398iunq9igjcmoo0mkopdo25vo@
    4ax.com:

    > Hello!
    >
    > HAPPY NEW YEAR 2005!
    >
    > I'm having a little trouble setting up this network.
    >
    > I've put minor annoyances/issues and questions in { } so anything
    > outside these are the main problems.
    >
    > So far I have supposedly set up a workgroup called MSHome on my XP
    > machine, and oemworkgroup on my 98 machine.
    >
    > {Now though whenever I go to Explorer it pops up with the old dial-up
    > connection box which I don't want as I am on ADSL, this is what the
    > two computers share.}
    >
    > {Also when I start up the computer I have to click on my name before
    > the password box appears, before it just used to always be there.}
    >
    > When I am in My Network Place on XP and click view workgroup
    > computers, it comes up with a message saying its not accessible or I
    > don't have permission.
    >
    > The list of Network Connections in XP seems to have changed slightly,
    > I'm not sure how though.
    >
    > It has the Dial-Up section, Internet Gateway and Network Bridge.
    >
    > I'm sure Network Bridge wasn't there before it was called something
    > different. and within that section there is also an icon called
    > Network Bridge in addition to the Local Area Connection and 1394.
    >
    > On the Windows 98 computer I am even more confused, even if I follow
    > the instructions on the link. When I go to view all the network
    > connection in My Network Neighbourhood it lists OEMWorkgroup which is
    > the name I gave to it on the 98se machine. It also lists MSHome from
    > the XP machine, but when I double click it there's the information
    > about it not being available or passwords authentication etc...

    You might want to put all the machines in the same workgroup. You can call
    the workgroup JohnWorkgroup or something like that. That's usually the
    practice is to have all machines Win XP and 98 etc etc in the same named
    Workgroup.

    > I can see the OEMWorkgroup from the XP machine of the 98se machine
    > when I view the entire network, but again I can't go into the 98
    > computer, it comes up with an error saying not accessible and I don't
    > have permission.
    >
    > I am thinking I should delete these two and just start over again. I
    > have heard though that it is difficult to set up a network between XP
    > and 98?
    >

    > I want to be able to access drive G (DVD/CD Rom) on my XP machine from
    > my 98 machine, and access everything on the 98 machine from my XP
    > machine.
    >
    > I have got the share symbol/hand under the C drive on the 98 machine
    > and the same under the G drive on the XP machine, so it is just the
    > actual network connection that is the problem.
    >
    > If you can help I'd be very grateful. It has got to be something to
    > do with usernames, passwords and permissions.
    >
    > There has got to be somewhere I can go to allow permission to all
    > users from the 98 machine to access the G drive of the XP machine and
    > to also allow all users of the XP machine to access all the 98
    > machine.

    You can use Authenticated User account on the XP Share. That basically
    means that any user account you want to access the XP share from another
    machine, the User Account must be setup on the XP machine. When you setup
    the user account on the Win 98 machine to accesses the Win XP Share, the
    O/S will verify that it's an Authenticated user account and allow assess to
    the Share based on permissions for the Authenticated User Group account.

    http://tinyurl.com/4bg2g

    The link above will point you in the right direction and you can do more
    searches on the how to(s). You may also want to use www.dogpile.com.

    > I've not done much networking previously, apart from setting up the
    > ADSL router and getting the 98 and XP machine to share the same 1MB
    > ADSL connection. And also I once transferred files from a really old
    > 95 machine to a 98 machine using a parallel connection. That was
    > quite a time consuming process.

    It's been a log time for me dealing with a Win 9'x O/S. I do understand
    there are some issues with getting a XP and Win 9'x O/S(s) to see and share
    resources. But with some effort, you should be able to do it. As I
    understand it, you have to create some kind of networking setup disk on the
    XP machine and install it on the Win 9'x O/S.

    You just might want to try the following services and protocols on the
    Network Interface Cards NIC's on all the machines to see if that will allow
    the sharing with no issues and allow access to the Internet.

    1) Client for MS Networks
    2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks
    3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP

    The above is the setup is the only thing I have on the NIC's on all my NT
    based machines and there are no problems.

    HTH

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 2, 2005
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:57:41 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    Arnold <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> 95 machine to a 98 machine using a parallel connection. That was
    >> quite a time consuming process.
    >>

    >It's been a log time for me dealing with a Win 9'x O/S. I do understand
    >there are some issues with getting a XP and Win 9'x O/S(s) to see and share
    >resources. But with some effort, you should be able to do it. As I
    >understand it, you have to create some kind of networking setup disk on the
    >XP machine and install it on the Win 9'x O/S.
    >
    >You just might want to try the following services and protocols on the
    >Network Interface Cards NIC's on all the machines to see if that will allow
    >the sharing with no issues and allow access to the Internet.
    >
    >1) Client for MS Networks
    >2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks
    >3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    >
    >The above is the setup is the only thing I have on the NIC's on all my NT
    >based machines and there are no problems.

    Thanks mate. I finally got it all sorted out now and it appears to be
    working fine. The 98 system has a few different logons though so I'll
    have to check it works with all of them.

    John

    John, Jan 2, 2005
  8. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in

> [...]

    >>to do it. As I understand it, you have to create some kind of
    >>networking setup disk on the XP machine and install it on the Win 9'x
    >>O/S.
    >>
    >>You just might want to try the following services and protocols on the
    >>Network Interface Cards NIC's on all the machines to see if that will
    >>allow the sharing with no issues and allow access to the Internet.
    >>
    >>1) Client for MS Networks
    >>2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks
    >>3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    >>
    >>The above is the setup is the only thing I have on the NIC's on all
    >>my NT based machines and there are no problems.
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Thanks mate. I finally got it all sorted out now and it appears to be
    > working fine. The 98 system has a few different logons though so I'll
    > have to check it works with all of them.

    I am gald it worked out for you and good luck.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 2, 2005
  9. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > Anyone who reads through the text above will discern that the fucking
    > crap you fed him had no bearing at all on his being able to resolve
    > the issue. Just so it's clear to you, you fucked in the head, stupidly
    > grinning idiot, when he wrote "Thanks mate", he was being polite. He
    > really means "Thanks for trying, even if it was all fucking bullshit."

    K-Cow I really don't care what you think. The OP was helped and pointed
    in the right direction. All you do on the Internet is act a *bitch* and a
    complete *ass* with everyone other than those who are sucking on one of
    the tits on your utter. And that's suspect too depending on if you have
    had your Tampon changed that day and you had a Prozac or two.

    Take your damn red pen BS and stick it up your ass and go lay on the rock
    and bleed and don't forget to call Herby. <g>

    Bitch you're not a Top Gun out here on the Internet as much as you have
    fooled yourself into thinking you are one. You're a Top Fool and a
    *Clown* playing typical *Bitch* bull shit make no mistake about it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 2, 2005
  10. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Just so you know K-Cow, I am here to spank that ass of yours with the RAG
    game no more or no less not to run your dumb ass off the Internet. You're a
    nut case that cannot be ran off and I don't want to run you off, because
    either you were dropped kicked in the head by a steel toed boot when you
    were a baby or the other possibility was that your mother dropped you head
    first into a cement curb as she crossed the street. Of course this happened
    somewhere in Europe and it made you a mentally ill clown *untreated* and
    you're loose as a goose in the head a pure nut case by your actions to
    date. ;-) So stupid Cow, I am only here to SPANK THAT ASS with the RAG
    GAME and and I don't give a shit about what's in your mind and your take on
    how you think I am trying to run your ass off.

    I always have your best interest at heart. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005

    Tasty raw giblets, Jan 3, 2005
  12. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    And WTF was it in that other post about I couldn't stop *him*? WTF are you
    talking about him? That was you bitch all day long and there are no others
    with your sick ass. You got to come up with your main ass-wipe character as
    being a man and not a woman? How sad and spinless is that? That's some sick
    shit. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005
  13. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well Princess Fussy Britches I got to go work. But as my boy Arnold S. would
    say *I'll be BACK!*. Yes, I'll be back with a pair of Texas Size 14 EE Shit
    Kicker boots and continue to kick your narrow Cow's ass across the
    Internet. ;-)

    BYE

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005
  14. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Maybe, you can help the other you K-Cow get in the damn game and stop
    messing around spreading yourself thin.

    I am just looking out for you now. You could take a Prozac and get you mind
    right. I am just the messenger. ;-)

    I got to go I have some things to do.

    BYE

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005
  15. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    K-Cow I got to <plonk>/disqualify you for nasty and crazy conduct. The nasty
    part is sucking on your own utter with Giblits. And the other part is
    holding the conversation with yourself. That's some sick sick sick shit
    indeed. You can tell Giblits it's been nothing but the *delete-key* unread
    with Xnews and just flat out ignored with KNode. You need to be locked-up
    and the key thrown away because you're gone.

    BYE

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005
  16. John

    Sam Briley Guest

    Duane Arnold, <>, the spider-legged, bulbaceous gimcrack, and
    performer on the harp, bewailed:

    > K-Cow I got to <plonk>/disqualify you

    Did the plonking ever work, retard?

    Sam Briley, Jan 3, 2005
  17. Duane Arnold, <>, the tokenish, menstrual flimflam, and
    seaman who has not reached a standard of skill above that of laggard,
    billowed:

    Lucas Crittendan, Jan 3, 2005
  18. Duane Arnold, <>, the wrongheaded, mortified fustilarian, and
    person hired to take charge of the ship’s bilge, susurrated:

    Isaac Addicott, Jan 3, 2005
  19. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    A correction the <plonk>/disqualification is just for your mishap of not
    being you for today. Your butt kicking is still on the books -- my bad.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2005