Connecting two 1601's back-to-back via serial interfaces

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Cyber-Soldier, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Howdy,

    This is sort of a follow-up to what "username" and someone else in the
    NG had talked about probably a week ago, except that they had
    discussed doing what the subject is saying using CSU/DSU interfaces
    and crossover T1 cables:

    I am trying to connect two 1601's back-to-back using a 3-foot DTE-DCE
    cable (60-pin), and attempting to set up a simulated frame relay so I
    can do some tests (mainly, to study for exams). I have followed
    "username"'s suggestion to do "frame-relay switching" on one of the
    1601's, "Luke", and the other 1601 "Matthew" as the DTE. The link
    simply looks like this:

    Luke (DCE) <----- serial link -----> Matthew (DTE)

    Right now I show interface and protocol are both up in both routers,
    and I have set both IP addresses and DLCI in the subinterfaces
    (encapsulation is already set to "frame-relay"). However, I still
    cannot ping from one router to the other via the serial link. All
    five signals of the main interfaces show that they are "up".

    Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.

    Cybersoldier01
    Cyber-Soldier, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Cyber-Soldier

    Andrej Brkic Guest

    On 20 Nov 2003 06:50:23 -0800, Cyber-Soldier <> wrote:
    >Howdy,
    >
    >This is sort of a follow-up to what "username" and someone else in the
    >NG had talked about probably a week ago, except that they had
    >discussed doing what the subject is saying using CSU/DSU interfaces
    >and crossover T1 cables:
    >
    >I am trying to connect two 1601's back-to-back using a 3-foot DTE-DCE
    >cable (60-pin), and attempting to set up a simulated frame relay so I
    >can do some tests (mainly, to study for exams). I have followed
    >"username"'s suggestion to do "frame-relay switching" on one of the
    >1601's, "Luke", and the other 1601 "Matthew" as the DTE. The link
    >simply looks like this:
    >
    >Luke (DCE) <----- serial link -----> Matthew (DTE)
    >
    >Right now I show interface and protocol are both up in both routers,
    >and I have set both IP addresses and DLCI in the subinterfaces
    >(encapsulation is already set to "frame-relay"). However, I still
    >cannot ping from one router to the other via the serial link. All
    >five signals of the main interfaces show that they are "up".
    >
    >Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.

    Post your configs.

    --
    Andrej Brkic
    E-mail: