Connecting to Wireless Networking - not able to access internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Luther, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. Luther

    Luther Guest

    Hello,

    I am having problems with connecting my laptop to the wireless connection
    provided by my school. It worked fine last year, but for some reason, this
    year it is not connecting properly.

    The routine last year was that after connecting to the wireless network, to
    login to the network you launched IE and it would redirect from whatever your
    home page is to the login page for the schools network. you login there, and
    for the duration of you connection, you are able to access the internet. For
    some reason, IE is no longer automatically forwarding to the login page. I
    tried to manually navigate to the IP address of the login page, no dice.

    I've reset all the permissions on my browser to factory default, and have
    done the same with my installation of Norton. When I run the repair utility
    on the wireless connection, it comes back saying that the DNS server is not
    reachable. I'm assuming this is cause it is not letting me log into the
    network.

    I had a similar problem once before, trying to log into a hotel's wireless,
    and calling their support line resulted in them manually authenticating my
    laptops IP address each time i logged in, cause I couldn't get Vista and IE 7
    to automatically forward to the login on startup.....

    Any idea?

    Luther, Oct 3, 2008

  2. Hi
    The solution is probably similar. You have to logon manually the first time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 3, 2008

  3. Luther

    Luther Guest

    Re: Connecting to Wireless Networking - not able to access interne

    sorry, wasn't clear with what i wrote before....when this problem occured
    with my laptop before, i had to contact the system administrator and have him
    manually authenticate my IP address each and every time I logged into the
    system. Because the network is gonna dynamically address me an IP address,
    it will be different each time I use the network.

    I think the problem is in the fact that i cannot reach the DHCP server on
    the wireless network. I've gone through all the security settings I know
    about in IE and even turned off my Norton Firewall to try to connect, but
    somethign is preventing the browser from redirecting from my start screen to
    the network login screen from the school.

    Luther, Oct 3, 2008
  4. Luther

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 3, 1:19 pm, Luther <> wrote:
    > sorry, wasn't clear with what i wrote before....when this problem occured
    > with my laptop before, i had to contact the system administrator and have him
    > manually authenticate my IP address each and every time I logged into the
    > system.  Because the network is gonna dynamically address me an IP address,
    > it will be different each time I use the network.
    >
    > I think the problem is in the fact that i cannot reach the DHCP server on
    > the wireless network.  I've gone through all the security settings I know
    > about in IE and even turned off my Norton Firewall to try to connect, but
    > somethign is preventing the browser from redirecting from my start screen to
    > the network login screen from the school.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > The solution is probably similar. You have to logon manually the first time.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "Luther" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,

    > > > I am having problems with connecting my laptop to the wireless connection
    > > > provided by my school.  It worked fine last year, but for some reason,
    > > > this
    > > > year it is not connecting properly.

    > > > The routine last year was that after connecting to the wireless network,
    > > > login to the network you launched IE and it would redirect from whatever
    > > > your
    > > > home page is to the login page for the schools network.  you login there,
    > > > and
    > > > for the duration of you connection, you are able to access the internet.
    > > > For
    > > > some reason, IE is no longer automatically forwarding to the login page.
    > > > tried to manually navigate to the IP address of the login page, no dice.

    > > > I've reset all the permissions on my browser to factory default, and have
    > > > done the same with my installation of Norton.  When I run the repair
    > > > utility
    > > > on the wireless connection, it comes back saying that the DNS server is
    > > > not
    > > > reachable.  I'm assuming this is cause it is not letting me log into the
    > > > network.

    > > > I had a similar problem once before, trying to log into a hotel's
    > > > wireless,
    > > > and calling their support line resulted in them manually authenticating my
    > > > laptops IP address each time i logged in, cause I couldn't get Vista and
    > > > IE 7
    > > > to automatically forward to the login on startup.....

    > > > Any idea?

    The problem seems to be with the wireless network SSID not being
    correctly trusted on your PC. With Norton, you will need to "trust"
    the SSID and not only wireless network default gateway IP address.

    It should be noted that disabling Norton is not always complete.
    Norton can have "left-over" settings still active.

    smlunatick, Oct 6, 2008
  5. Luther

    DM Guest

    Re: Connecting to Wireless Networking - not able to access interne

    I would like to follow up on this thread... I have the same problem with and
    without Norton. In fact, Norton was the only way I could actually connect to
    the internet at a hotel. I removed Norton and the problem remains. Is there
    any setting I need to change on IE in order to fix the problem? It's a
    redirect problem. Something is blocking redirect from my home page to a hotel
    sign-in page. Please help!

    DM, Oct 30, 2008