Connecting to wireless network with XP Home

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DKF, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. DKF

    DKF Guest

    I set up a wireless network using a D-Link Router, a laptop with Win98 a PC
    connected to the Router, 2 stand alone PC's running Win98 with Linksys NIC's
    and they all work fine. I have the system set up to be a shared key system
    with WEP and 64 bit encryption. I have every machine logging in with the
    10 digit hex characters and all works fine.

    My problem comes when I try and connect using a XP Home laptop. For the
    life of me I can't get it to connect to the router although it will see the
    SSID of the network and also that it is encrypted. When I type in the
    shared key it will let me type in 10 numerals but after it times out without
    connecting I check what I typed in it only shows me 8 dots suggesting it
    won't accept 10 characters. I even tried disabling Microsoft Firewall
    with the same results.

    1-when I set up WEP does that encrypt the data being sent out over the
    wireless network?

    2-Any ideas how to get the XP Home machine to connect with the router would
    be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    DKF, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Turn off WEP and see if you can still connect.

    The number of DOTS that appear do not reflect how many characters you typed.
    Microsoft has added this as an added security measure so that it would make
    it harder for hackers to guess passwords by not showing the correct length.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 2, 2005

  3. DKF

    DKF Guest

    We can connect all computers if I make the system "open" with no passphrase
    or encryption. Its only when I turn on WEP that I have the problem and then
    only with the XP Home laptop. Thanks for the reply.

    DKF, Jan 2, 2005
  4. I just spent 4 days on the phone with Microsoft with the same issue, but with
    WPA encryption with NO SUCCESS so they told me to go back to WEP encryption
    but UNCHECK a box for IEEE in the Authentication tab. They did not explain
    why it was JUST DO IT! It works.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmF5Uml6em8=?=, Jan 2, 2005