Connecting to the internet through mobile phone

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have recently tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone.
    I set the 14,000Bps connection up through Windows on COM2. However
    when I dial the number for my ISP it comes up with some sort of
    message saying that calls to that number are chargeable form a mobile
    and then it just hangs up.

    Anyone know what the problem might be? I am just testing this in case
    I ever get a small computer/pda device that I might like to connect to
    the internet with.

    Is there anyway I can get connected to an ISP I am signed up with via
    a Mobile without having to pay? If not, then is there a way I can get
    connected with just paying a local rate call?

    I am with T-Mobile here in the UK, and my Dial-Up is with ClaraNet.

    Thanks for any info.

    John
    John, Mar 3, 2004

  2. John

    Simon Clark Guest

    John <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have recently tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone.
    > I set the 14,000Bps connection up through Windows on COM2. However
    > when I dial the number for my ISP it comes up with some sort of
    > message saying that calls to that number are chargeable form a mobile
    > and then it just hangs up.
    >
    > Anyone know what the problem might be? I am just testing this in case
    > I ever get a small computer/pda device that I might like to connect to
    > the internet with.
    >
    > Is there anyway I can get connected to an ISP I am signed up with via
    > a Mobile without having to pay? If not, then is there a way I can get
    > connected with just paying a local rate call?
    >
    > I am with T-Mobile here in the UK, and my Dial-Up is with ClaraNet.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > John

    If you are with Clara, you will be able to make use of the fact that
    Clara have both 0845 and 020 access numbers for internet access, so
    you can choose whichever is best for you - be aware, however, that you
    may be charged at a different rate for data calls than for voice calls
    (I happen to be on an old Orange plan and am charged 12p peak/6p
    offpeak for all 0845 numbers, whether voice or data).

    It sounds as if you may be trying to dial up on one of Claranet's 0800
    access numbers - these are designed for use with flat rate packages
    and are available from a BT line only.

    I use Claranet's permanent trial which is like a PAYG system. Emails
    arrive on my phone up to subject line via Orange text alert and if I
    want to read the rest of the email, I simply pull it down via Clara.

    HTH

    Simon Clark
    Simon Clark, Mar 4, 2004

  3. John

    JD Guest

    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > I have recently tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone.
    > > I set the 14,000Bps connection up through Windows on COM2. However
    > > when I dial the number for my ISP it comes up with some sort of
    > > message saying that calls to that number are chargeable form a mobile
    > > and then it just hangs up.
    > >
    > > Anyone know what the problem might be? I am just testing this in case
    > > I ever get a small computer/pda device that I might like to connect to
    > > the internet with.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway I can get connected to an ISP I am signed up with via
    > > a Mobile without having to pay? If not, then is there a way I can get
    > > connected with just paying a local rate call?
    > >
    > > I am with T-Mobile here in the UK, and my Dial-Up is with ClaraNet.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > John

    > If you are with Clara, you will be able to make use of the fact that
    > Clara have both 0845 and 020 access numbers for internet access, so
    > you can choose whichever is best for you - be aware, however, that you
    > may be charged at a different rate for data calls than for voice calls

    So following on from this - for any newcomer to the world of internet via
    mobile phone, what is the best setup to have?

    Personally I would like to use my 750min off peak for free internet. Does it
    exist?
    JD, Mar 4, 2004
  4. John

    Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:12:52 -0000, "JD" <>
    wrote:

    >Personally I would like to use my 750min off peak for free internet. Does it
    >exist?

    Yes. Use a ClaraNet 020 access number.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
  5. John

    Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:42:22 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >I have recently tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone.
    >I set the 14,000Bps connection up through Windows on COM2. However
    >when I dial the number for my ISP it comes up with some sort of
    >message saying that calls to that number are chargeable form a mobile
    >and then it just hangs up.

    More information needed.

    What mobile network are you on?

    What make and model of mobile phone?

    What ISP are you calling?

    What number are you dialling?

    How are you hearing a message if your PC is dialling for you?

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!
    , Mar 4, 2004
  6. John

    Vince Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > > If you are with Clara, you will be able to make use of the fact that
    > > Clara have both 0845 and 020 access numbers for internet access, so
    > > you can choose whichever is best for you - be aware, however, that you
    > > may be charged at a different rate for data calls than for voice calls

    > So following on from this - for any newcomer to the world of internet via
    > mobile phone, what is the best setup to have?
    >
    > Personally I would like to use my 750min off peak for free internet. Does

    it
    > exist?

    Yes, use an ISP with 01x or 02x dialup, and/or use Claranets free
    never-ending trial. On your plan the best move is to set it up to dial
    Claras 01x number during the freetime allowance, then the 0845 number during
    the day, that way you pay 10p/min instead of the 40p/min or whatever it was
    that 01x calls cost during the day

    Vince
    Vince, Mar 4, 2004
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:25:19 -0000, "Vince"
    <> wrote:

    >"JD" <> wrote in message
    >> > If you are with Clara, you will be able to make use of the fact that
    >> > Clara have both 0845 and 020 access numbers for internet access, so
    >> > you can choose whichever is best for you - be aware, however, that you
    >> > may be charged at a different rate for data calls than for voice calls

    >> So following on from this - for any newcomer to the world of internet via
    >> mobile phone, what is the best setup to have?
    >>
    >> Personally I would like to use my 750min off peak for free internet. Does

    >it
    >> exist?

    >Yes, use an ISP with 01x or 02x dialup, and/or use Claranets free
    >never-ending trial. On your plan the best move is to set it up to dial
    >Claras 01x number during the freetime allowance, then the 0845 number during
    >the day, that way you pay 10p/min instead of the 40p/min or whatever it was
    >that 01x calls cost during the day
    >
    >Vince

    Thanks for all the info guys.

    Just to confirm I've got this straight...

    I am on ClaraNet Anytime. It is an 0808 number, but I need to use a
    0845 or 020 number. Can I still stay on the same ClaraNet package and
    connect with these numbers, or do I have to get a separate. or change
    to a separate PAYG dial-up account?

    I also noticed that on their site in the members area for access
    numbers there is a section at the bottom that says "need a local
    number?". Would the number it comes up with also be okay to use? And
    would there be any difference in price on that?

    Cheers

    John

    ClaraNet Anytime
    Samsung V200
    T-Mobile Everyone PCM Price Plan
    John, Mar 5, 2004
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:01:17 +0000, wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:42:22 +0000, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have recently tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone.
    >>I set the 14,000Bps connection up through Windows on COM2. However
    >>when I dial the number for my ISP it comes up with some sort of
    >>message saying that calls to that number are chargeable form a mobile
    >>and then it just hangs up.

    >More information needed.
    >
    >What mobile network are you on?

    T-Mobile. I didn't bother with the 1000's of minutes free calls in
    the evening because I make a lot of calls during the day so I'm just
    on an everyone plan, for cheaper call rates no matter what time you
    call. The evening plans with lots of free minutes cost a fortune in
    the day to use. I believe my calls cost 10p per minute.

    >What make and model of mobile phone?

    Samsung V200.

    >What ISP are you calling?

    ClaraNet

    >What number are you dialling?

    It was dialling an 0808 number for ClaraNet Anytime.

    >How are you hearing a message if your PC is dialling for you?

    Yes. "Call's to this number from a mobile may incur a charge" or
    something along those lines, and then it hangs up :)

    John
    John, Mar 5, 2004
  9. John

    John Guest

    >If you are with Clara, you will be able to make use of the fact that
    >Clara have both 0845 and 020 access numbers for internet access, so
    >you can choose whichever is best for you - be aware, however, that you
    >may be charged at a different rate for data calls than for voice calls
    >(I happen to be on an old Orange plan and am charged 12p peak/6p
    >offpeak for all 0845 numbers, whether voice or data).
    >
    >It sounds as if you may be trying to dial up on one of Claranet's 0800
    >access numbers - these are designed for use with flat rate packages
    >and are available from a BT line only.
    >
    >I use Claranet's permanent trial which is like a PAYG system. Emails
    >arrive on my phone up to subject line via Orange text alert and if I
    >want to read the rest of the email, I simply pull it down via Clara.

    If I want to set my phone up to also receive emails how can I do this?
    Do they just show up in the text messages section on your phone? And
    what happens if the email is quite long? I could imagine on my phone
    that one email might take up the space of 10 messages. And when my
    phone only lets me store 100, it's not too great.

    Just a final question. The EasyGprs software that comes with my
    Samsung phone allows me to load all the phones data onto my PC. One
    thing that I've been trying to do, but unsuccessfully is to just copy
    and paste all my text messages from the software to save on my
    computer in a word document or something. Is there anyway that this
    can be done? It's just I don't see the point in having this facility
    if you can't. The only benefit is that it is slightly easier to text
    on a keyboard. It's no use though if you want to make space for more
    texts without loosing ones you need to keep.

    John
    John, Mar 5, 2004
  10. John

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:38:57 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >Can I still stay on the same ClaraNet package and
    >connect with these number

    Yes. Or any of the "local" numbers, at normal call charge rates.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!
    , Mar 5, 2004
  11. John

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:39:15 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >It was dialling an 0808 number for ClaraNet Anytime.

    That won't work, and wouldn't come out of "free" inclusive minutes
    even if it did. Use one of their geographic dial-up numbers instead.

    >>How are you hearing a message if your PC is dialling for you?

    >Yes. "Call's to this number from a mobile may incur a charge" or
    >something along those lines, and then it hangs up :)

    Note the word "How" at the beginning of my question. If your computer
    is making a data connection through the mobile phone, there is no way
    that you can hear speech on the line.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!
    , Mar 5, 2004
  12. John

    Jon Guest

    John posted the following for all to hear...
    > I am on ClaraNet Anytime. It is an 0808 number, but I need to use a
    > 0845 or 020 number. Can I still stay on the same ClaraNet package and
    > connect with these numbers, or do I have to get a separate. or change
    > to a separate PAYG dial-up account?

    Set up a new PAYg free trial account (the trial never ends!)

    > I also noticed that on their site in the members area for access
    > numbers there is a section at the bottom that says "need a local
    > number?". Would the number it comes up with also be okay to use?

    Yes. There are 2 numbers - 0207 9066161 and 9065151 I think.

    > And
    > would there be any difference in price on that?

    Yes - cheaper from your mobile - that's the whole point of the exercise!
    Check with T-Mobile that data calls to 0207 numbers come out of your
    free minutes though.
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    change 'spam' to 'info' to email
    Jon, Mar 6, 2004
  13. John

    Jon Guest

    John posted the following for all to hear...
    > If I want to set my phone up to also receive emails how can I do this?

    You will need to use a WAp gateway service such as www.mail2wap.com -
    the V200 has no POP3 email client.

    No. Point your WAP browser to www.mail2wap.com and all will be revealed.
    Jon, Mar 6, 2004
  14. John

    John Guest

    I just have one final question. With my phone is 14,000 Bps the
    fastest I will be able to connect to the internet?

    If so, are there any newer phones that allow faster speeds yet?

    Cheers

    John
    John, Mar 6, 2004
  15. John

    John Guest

    I've just thought of yet another question, but I promise this to be
    the last one.

    Is it possible to get newsgroup message on your mobile using one of
    these free wap to mobile services?

    John
    John, Mar 6, 2004
  16. John

    Jon Guest

    John posted the following for all to hear...
    > I just have one final question. With my phone is 14,000 Bps the
    > fastest I will be able to connect to the internet?

    It depends on which network you are using. Orange is the only network
    which allows 14.4, and if you;re prepared to pay for it 28.8k @ 25p/min.
    Jon, Mar 7, 2004
  17. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:44:56 -0000, Jon <>
    wrote:

    >John posted the following for all to hear...
    >> I just have one final question. With my phone is 14,000 Bps the
    >> fastest I will be able to connect to the internet?

    >It depends on which network you are using. Orange is the only network
    >which allows 14.4, and if you;re prepared to pay for it 28.8k @ 25p/min.

    I am with T-Mobile. Would that be less than 14.4?

    John
    John, Mar 7, 2004
  18. John

    Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:35:10 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >I just have one final question. With my phone is 14,000 Bps the
    >fastest I will be able to connect to the internet?

    Mobile phones are generally limited to 9.6k dial-up, unless they
    support HSCSD, which has a maximum speed of 43k down, 14.4k up, or
    28.8k each way. This depends on the mobile network supporting it,
    though. Orange offer 28.8 each way, but at a higher call cost.

    You've not said what make and model of phone you are using, but it
    doesn't matter, because you have said it is on t-mobile. T-mobile
    don't offer HSCSD at all, so whatever you set, all you will get is
    9.6k

    As for the question about newsgroups, I'm afraid I don't know. I'd
    suggest something like a Handspring Treo if you plan to do that a lot.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!
    , Mar 7, 2004