    Or maybe a utility to replace whatever XP uses to locate/connect?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Nov 28, 2010

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When multiple WAPs for which it knows the password are present,
    > my iPod Touch senses which WAP is the strongest and connect to
    > it.
    >
    > OTOH, my net book (Windows XP, SP3) always tries to connect to
    > the same WAP - even if it's signal is marginal and there's
    > another WAP 10 feet away.
    >
    > Is there some setting that can be changed?

    I think that Windows works on a priority order - you can specify the
    relative order in which Windows will connect to network, but I'm not aware
    of anything based on signal strength.

    For general browsing I can see the clear benefit of connecting to the
    strongest signal, but for security considerations its probably better to be
    able to specify preferred networks.

    > Or maybe a utility to replace whatever XP uses to locate/connect?

    I don't know of one, but I would seem likley that such a utility might be
    out there. If you find one (and someone doesn't suggest it here) then please
    post back.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian