Connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Wi-Fi Dude, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Wi-Fi Dude

    Wi-Fi Dude Guest

    When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
    networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
    since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection
    strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's someone in my
    building, or maybe even directly across the street, or the building next
    door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...

    Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I always
    connect to this other network to get back up online until Comcrap is fixed
    and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise prices of their
    services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...

    The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
    accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
    passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
    connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
    information?

    I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking my
    personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that I'm on?

    My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb enough to
    run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even dumber with
    knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information who might be
    browsing their network.

    Would you agree or disagree with this theory?

    But getting back to Comcrap, for the next week or so I'm going to stay
    conected to this persons network, to make sure that the person hasn't
    disabled internet access between such and such hours. If all goes well, I'm
    dumping Comcrap and I'm just going to use her connection to be online I
    mean why should I pay for it if I don't have to? The cable prices alone are
    getting out of control, they now charge in my area 50 bucks a month just for
    basic and preferred that has 66 channels. With the dish networks, you pay
    around 30 bucks a month and get way more then 66 channels. I'm getting tired
    of their price gouging. So if I got rid of my own internet connection, I
    would be saving a good 45 bucks a month which makes me a much happier
    person.

    P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can read
    your information that you send across their wireless network, is there any
    kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that will block them
    from being able to see it (even with such packet sniffers)?

    Thanks.
    Wi-Fi Dude, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Wi-Fi Dude

    WormWood Guest

    Attachments are not welcome in this plain text newsgroup.

    begin 666 icon_evil.gif
    M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,00`$5%1?_J`````/_.`/_)`/Z=`/_]$_^T`/\``/_^D___
    MQ_XJ`/YM`Y:6EO_E`/__ZP``````````````````````````````````````
    <snip>

    WormWood, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Wi-Fi Dude

    Wi-Fi Dude Guest

    I didn't post an attachment!

    Wi-Fi Dude, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Wi-Fi Dude

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:28:03 -0400, Wi-Fi Dude wrote:

    Lose the binary attachment gif.

    >When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
    >networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
    >since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection
    >strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's someone in my
    >building, or maybe even directly across the street, or the building next
    >door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...

    <snip>

    >The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    >Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my

    Which is theft, so none of the rest of the post matters, more so since
    it's fairly stupid anyway.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Wi-Fi Dude

    Guest

    On "Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote:

    |>I didn't post an attachment!

    Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}

    As for your cheap connection use it.

    And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
    connection as hers?

    --
    Curling Iron judgement
    http://www.local6.com/news/4613601/detail.html
  6. Wi-Fi Dude

    me Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On "Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I didn't post an attachment!
    >
    > Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
    >
    > As for your cheap connection use it.
    >
    > And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
    > connection as hers?

    Good point
    me, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Wi-Fi Dude

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:

    > On "Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I didn't post an attachment!
    >
    > Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
    >
    > As for your cheap connection use it.
    >
    > And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
    > connection as hers?

    The person doesn't have the class to inform her that her connection is open.
    He's a pure snake.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Wi-Fi Dude

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:28:03 -0400, Wi-Fi Dude wrote:

    >When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
    >networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
    >since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection

    <snip>

    >Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I always
    >connect to this other network to get back up online until Comcrap is fixed
    >and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise prices of their
    >services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...
    >
    >The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    >Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my

    <snip>

    http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-02-15/leszkiewicz-internet
    Michael Levy, chief of computer crimes in the U.S. attorney’s office in
    the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, said that users should be aware of
    their Internet settings and must determine the strength of their
    broadcast signal -— does it reach the rooms of one apartment, does it go
    through a few floors, can a passing car pick up the signal?

    Even though the law doesn’t specifically address wireless Internet
    theft, Levy cautioned against tapping into another person’s wireless
    connection. “There are service statutes that cover people tapping into
    cable lines or electric lines and not paying for the service,” Levy
    said, likening that behavior to tapping into a wireless connection.
    “Although most people have never thought about it and have no bad
    intentions, they are getting Internet for free,” he said.

    http://akma.disseminary.org/archives/001518.html
    Illinois' Super-DMCA passed last year, and includes the following
    wording:

    "Unlawful communication device" means any ... communication device that
    is capable of acquiring or facilitating the acquisition of a
    communication service without the express consent or express
    authorization of the communication service provider

    Me
    why?, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Wi-Fi Dude

    Guest

    On Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
    |>>
    |>> As for your cheap connection use it.
    |>>
    |>> And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
    |>> connection as hers?

    |>The person doesn't have the class to inform her that her connection is open.
    |>He's a pure snake.

    Oh, I figure'd he's read all the private info on the hard drive of
    that connection, and is well aware of who it is.

    Use it, don't use it, it doesn't matter he's made up his mind.

    --
    Curling Iron judgement
    http://www.local6.com/news/4613601/detail.html
    , Jun 17, 2005
  10. Wi-Fi Dude

    samuel Guest

    "Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote in

    > I didn't post an attachment!
    >

    > "WormWood" <> wrote in message
    >> Attachments are not welcome in this plain text newsgroup.

    yes you did icon_evil.gif !
    samuel, Jun 17, 2005
  11. Wi-Fi Dude

    cnw Guest

    begin Wi-Fi Dude <> wrote:

    > The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    > Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
    > accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
    > passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
    > connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
    > information?

    Yes and not nessessarily.

    > I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking my
    > personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that I'm on?

    Of course you are.

    > My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb enough to
    > run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even dumber with
    > knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information who might be
    > browsing their network.

    Not nessessarily. Google for honey trap.

    > P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can read
    > your information that you send across their wireless network, is there any
    > kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that will block them
    > from being able to see it (even with such packet sniffers)?

    Yes. Use strong encryption.

    [uuencoded sig deleted]

    --
    Rest of .signature file being created. Do you wish to wait [Y/N]
    cnw, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Wi-Fi Dude

    B.U.G. Guest

    "Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote in message

    > The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    > Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
    > accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
    > passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
    > connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
    > information?

    What makes you think that someone not capable of securing a wireless
    connection might be able to sniff anyting other than glue?
    B.U.G., Jun 17, 2005
  13. Wi-Fi Dude

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:12:26 -0700, "B.U.G." <<>> wrote:

    >"Wi-Fi Dude" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
    >> Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
    >> accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
    >> passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
    >> connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
    >> information?
    >>

    >What makes you think that someone not capable of securing a wireless
    >connection might be able to sniff anyting other than glue?

    The following words come to mind -

    trap pot law enforcement honey theft service unauthorised

    Me
    why?, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Wi-Fi Dude

    redskins