Connecting to router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joan Archer, May 20, 2005.

  1. Joan Archer

    Joan Archer Guest

    I'm running XPHomeSP2 my network is set up as 2 XPHomeSP2 machines and 1
    WinME machine.

    All boxes can connect with no problem, I never set up sharing with the
    WinME box just the XP's and they can see each other fine. I put WEP
    encryptment on the machines and had no trouble but a few days later wanted
    to log onto my router to check something out but was unable to. I was told
    that perhaps if I did a reset on the router it may sort the problem out.

    Did that had a few problems so had to take the encryptment off so I was
    able to log on then and get all the machines connected again but now
    wanting to put the security back on I can no longer connect to the routers
    config pages again.

    Do you think this could be a faulty router and needs to be sent back for
    replacement or any chance it may be something else, sorry but I'm not very
    good with the technical stuff.

    The router is an Addon Wireless ADSL Router - 4 port.
    Thanks
    Joan
    Joan Archer, May 20, 2005

  2. You might try connecting with a CAT5 cable, my router acts a little funny
    when I try to use its interface over the wireless. Also, it is widely known
    that WEP is a fairly easy code to break, you should use WPA if your router
    supports it. I actually just use MAC address filtering, barring someone
    spoofing my MAC, it seems very secure.

    JS
    --

    www.parallaxconcepts.org

    Joseph Stewart, May 20, 2005

  3. Joan Archer

    Joan Archer Guest

    Thanks Joseph, there was a cable that came with the router, it's still in
    the box unopened <g> I know WEP is not so secure but that is all my router
    will handle.
    The user manual is a bit double dutch to me, it tells you all these things
    you can do with it but not how to actually do them in easy to understand
    English <g>
    I'll have to check that cable out and see what it actually is.
    Thanks
    Joan

    Joan Archer, May 20, 2005
  4. Joan Archer

    JoeT Guest

    > Thanks Joseph, there was a cable that came with the router, it's still in
    > the box unopened <g> I know WEP is not so secure but that is all my router
    > will handle.
    > The user manual is a bit double dutch to me, it tells you all these things
    > you can do with it but not how to actually do them in easy to understand
    > English <g>
    > I'll have to check that cable out and see what it actually is.
    > Thanks
    > Joan
    >

    > Joseph Stewart wrote:
    >> You might try connecting with a CAT5 cable, my router acts a little
    >> funny when I try to use its interface over the wireless. Also, it is
    >> widely known that WEP is a fairly easy code to break, you should use
    >> WPA if your router supports it. I actually just use MAC address
    >> filtering, barring someone spoofing my MAC, it seems very secure.
    >>
    >> JS

    Actually,. to anyone having rudimentary skills that wants to get into your
    network, MAC address filtering alone offers no security whatsoever.
    JoeT, May 21, 2005