    cannot bring up any web pages.
    --
    MPH

    =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=, May 16, 2006

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless#good-signal
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=

    Guest

    On 16-May-2006, =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?= <> wrote:

    > I have a problem with a laptop and a wireless network. There are two laptops
    > in the same house. Both have been using the same wireless network to connect
    > to the internet. About a week ago one of the computers was unable to access
    > the internet and has not been able to since. Both are on the same workgroup.
    > The System Tray icon indicates that the connection is being made to the
    > router and has good signal. However, when Internet Explorer is turned on it
    > cannot bring up any web pages.

    Try Start -> Run ipconfig -all (or better ipconfig -all > c:\ipconfig.txt to output
    to a text file) on both machines, then compare results. Even better is to do
    it from a DOS box Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    (then its output won't flash past your eyes).

    pathping {a URL or dotted quad} run from this Run command prompt is
    also useful since it shows where the connection fails.

    First hop should be your local gateway, and if you use a URL it should
    have been resolved to a dotted quad IP address. If not then it's probably
    the nameserver (which resolves URL's to dotted quad IP addresses)
    that is not configured in properly, or is not accessible.

    ipconfig -all should show your local machines IP address
    its route to the outside world and its nameserver, all as
    dotted quad IP addresses, plus other useful bits of configuration
    data. Subnet mask, what adapter you are using etc.

    , May 16, 2006
  4. Thank you both for looking at my question and making a response. Let me
    first say this: The person having this problem is a tele-commuter for my
    agency who lives 1.5 hours from where I work so I am trying to troubleshoot
    this over the phone.

    I tried to access the set-up from her computer and it gave me a the login
    window. Not knowing the username and password I could not get in. However,
    I am assuming since it gave me the login window for the device I must be
    connecting to it.

    I also ran ipconfig -all on both computers and saw that both of them are on
    the same subnet and using the same default gateway. I am at a loss. Any
    other ideas?
    --
    MPH

    =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=, May 17, 2006