Connecting to router but not to internet (2)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=, May 18, 2006.

  1. I am having a problem with a laptop and a wireless network. There are two
    laptops in the same house. Both have been using the same wireless network to
    connect to the internet since the beginning of April. About two weeks ago
    one of the computers was unable to access the internet and has not been able
    to since. The other computer continues to access the internet. Let me first
    say this: the person having this problem is a tele-commuter for my agency
    that lives 1.5 hours from where I work so I am trying to troubleshoot this
    over the phone.

    I have had her use “ipconfig –all†to determine that they both are on the
    same subnet, DHCP is active, and are using the same default gateway. The
    workgroup name is the same for both computers. The System Tray icon
    indicates that the connection is being made to the router and has good
    signal. I am NOT getting the “Connection has limited or no connectivityâ€
    message. However, when Internet Explorer is turned on it cannot bring up any
    web pages. I have gone into IE security settings to ensure they are not
    blocking content. I have also gone into Window Firewall to list IE as an
    exception. She is still unable to access any web pages.

    I have tried to access the wireless router set-up from her computer and the
    wireless router logon window appeared. Since it is her friends router she
    does not know the username and password I therefore could not get in.
    However, I am assuming since it gave me the logon window for the device I
    must be connecting to it.

    I am at a loss. Do you have any other ideas?

    --
    MPH

    =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=, May 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=

    jimbo Guest

    mph1975 wrote:
    > I am having a problem with a laptop and a wireless network. There are two
    > laptops in the same house. Both have been using the same wireless network to
    > connect to the internet since the beginning of April. About two weeks ago
    > one of the computers was unable to access the internet and has not been able
    > to since. The other computer continues to access the internet. Let me first
    > say this: the person having this problem is a tele-commuter for my agency
    > that lives 1.5 hours from where I work so I am trying to troubleshoot this
    > over the phone.
    >
    > I have had her use “ipconfig –all†to determine that they both are on the
    > same subnet, DHCP is active, and are using the same default gateway. The
    > workgroup name is the same for both computers. The System Tray icon
    > indicates that the connection is being made to the router and has good
    > signal. I am NOT getting the “Connection has limited or no connectivityâ€
    > message. However, when Internet Explorer is turned on it cannot bring up any
    > web pages. I have gone into IE security settings to ensure they are not
    > blocking content. I have also gone into Window Firewall to list IE as an
    > exception. She is still unable to access any web pages.
    >
    > I have tried to access the wireless router set-up from her computer and the
    > wireless router logon window appeared. Since it is her friends router she
    > does not know the username and password I therefore could not get in.
    > However, I am assuming since it gave me the logon window for the device I
    > must be connecting to it.
    >
    > I am at a loss. Do you have any other ideas?

    The router is probably set to deny Internet access to that PC. Maybe
    her friend got tired of giving freebies.

    jimbo

    jimbo, May 18, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bXBoMTk3NQ==?=

    Benedictum Guest

    Run you ip config and release everything.Have the DHCP server (router)
    assign a new Local IP. If you can see the router logon there is a chance
    that the password is not set by the user (I always find this true with most
    people out there). The user could be admin with no password or it could be
    admin with "password" as password or user admin, password=admin. try those
    combinations. There could be a MAC filter setting or a WEP. You can find on
    the web the default values for various routers/modem.

    Benedictum, May 19, 2006