Connecting to public networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I have a HP ze5400 series Pavilion laptop with a built-in wireless card. At
    home I use a Belkin wireless router with a Westfall DSL modem. I can connect
    to the network and have no trouble accessing the internet. Until recently, I
    had no problem connecting to different networks (i.e. in coffee shops,
    airports, etc.) Now though, when I'm on the road, I have no trouble seeing
    public networks and can connect to them without a problem. However, I cannot
    access the internet from any of these public networks. I am running Windows
    XP home with SP 2 and all updates and drivers are current. I have tried
    reinstalling the OS, installing a new USB wireless adaptor etc., but no luck.
    Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 15, 2005
    1. Advertising

2. Try checking your browser settings. Go to Tools->Internet Options Make sure
    on connections, it uses the "LAN" settings to connect, proxies is not
    selected. If you have the firewall running, check the settings to make sure
    you are not blocking access to IE or to the network.

"Jennifer" wrote:

> I have a HP ze5400 series Pavilion laptop with a built-in wireless card. At
    > home I use a Belkin wireless router with a Westfall DSL modem. I can connect
    > to the network and have no trouble accessing the internet. Until recently, I
    > had no problem connecting to different networks (i.e. in coffee shops,
    > airports, etc.) Now though, when I'm on the road, I have no trouble seeing
    > public networks and can connect to them without a problem. However, I cannot
    > access the internet from any of these public networks. I am running Windows
    > XP home with SP 2 and all updates and drivers are current. I have tried
    > reinstalling the OS, installing a new USB wireless adaptor etc., but no luck.
    > Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbA==?=, Jul 22, 2005
    1. Advertising