Connecting to Other Wireless Networks After System Reload

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andercovny, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Andercovny

Andercovny

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my wireless. I recently reloaded Windows XP onto my laptop (Sony Vaio vgn-n130g), wiping everything out. When I reloaded, I had to download new drivers from the Sony website, because nothing, including the wireless, was working properly. After downloading the drivers, my home internet worked perfectly for about 12 hours, before it wouldn't connect, though it was showing up in my wireless connections. I didn't touch anything over that time that had anything to do with the wireless. I did some research and got it working again by flushing the dns and setting up a static IP address. It's been fine ever since.

The problem is, I take my computer to school with me. The first time I did this, I had to go back in to my Internet Protocol thing and set up yet another static IP address for my school wireless. I'm really worried that every time I switch networks forever more, I'm going to have to retype in my IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc. It's really annoying. I would really like to understand what happened and why. Before the reload of Windows XP, this was not a problem. Is there anything I can do so I don't have to type all that stuff in every time I connect to a different wireless network?

Thanks,
    Ally
    Andercovny, Dec 2, 2008
    1. Advertising