    would be great. thanks.

    Paul
    Cleveland, OH
    Microsoft, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Microsoft

    Malke Guest

    Microsoft wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I set up a a home network last month and up until tonight i was
    > "broadcasting" the SSID. I have now decided to disable SSID
    > broadcast, however, if i do this, my laptop doesnt see the network and
    > I cant figure
    > out how to connect to my own network that the computer can't see! Any
    > info
    > would be great. thanks.
    >
    > Paul
    > Cleveland, OH

    You need to enable SSID. Disabling SSID will not provide you any
    security. Here are links to explain that and help you:

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Microsoft

    DanR Guest

    In your list of preferred networks is your network listed at the top?
    And does the word "(Automatic) follow the name of your preferred network. I've
    seen the "(Automatic)" change to "(manual)" for some unknown reason and the only
    way I could get it back to "automatic" was to "Remove" that preferred network
    and then click "Add" and put it back into the list. It then defaulted to
    "(Automatic)". Also... it should not read "(On Demand)" If it does highlight it
    choose properties / Connection and check "Connect when this network is in
    range".

    DanR, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Hi Microsoft,
    I disabled SSID on my Linksys WAP55Ag Wireless Access Point. I have an
    IBM T21 with the Linksys Wpc54GS PCMCIA card. I also have Sharp laptop using
    the onboard wireless. I added that Mac address to the allowed MAC Address on
    the Filter Tab of the configuration page for the router after you log in with
    the admin ID and password. I created a very secure SSID and passcode. I am
    able to view it the netowrk connections after adding it in the Network
    Connections. I have also tried this on two Netgear Wireless G's with an HP
    Laptop with onboard wireless and these two laptops. It works great. My wife
    uses it for teaching online and stays connected. My mother in law takes her
    HP to two different states and is able to connect on each router. So there
    really is a solution. Don't give up hope. Let me know if you have any
    questions. What kind of router do you have? What kind of wireless
    connection from the PC are you using? Have you tried this website link yet?
    I printed it out and tried it. It worked like a charm after adding the MAC
    address to the filter tab on the router
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

    Hunter

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Microsoft

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Jun 8, 2005
  6. Microsoft

    DanR Guest

    Jack... a quote from your link says "Any serious intruder would use the free
    widely available Netstumbler and will find your Network in 5 sec. regardless of
    the status of SSID." I don't think that's true. My experience with Netstumbler
    is that it will NOT find disabled SSID networks.

    DanR, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Microsoft

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    If an AP responds to Beacon probes Netstumbler would detect it even if the SSID
    broadcast turned off.

    If your Wireless Card is configured to a specific SSID, Netstumbler would not connect to
    other Wireless Network.

    Your card has to be configured to Blank SSID or if Blank is not allowed to SSID name
    Any.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Jun 15, 2005
  8. Microsoft

    DanR Guest

    Jack (MVP) wrote:
    > Hi
    > If an AP responds to Beacon probes Netstumbler would detect it even if the
    > SSID broadcast turned off.
    >
    > If your Wireless Card is configured to a specific SSID, Netstumbler would not
    > connect to other Wireless Network.
    >
    > Your card has to be configured to Blank SSID or if Blank is not allowed to
    > SSID name Any.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I don't know what you mean by Blank SSID or Any. Here is how I did my
    experiment. With my SSID NOT being broadcast I boot my laptop and connect to my
    wireless network. Netstumber shows my network and a neighbor's network. I then
    dis-connect from my network (I'm not connected to any network) and re-load
    Netstumbler. I see my neighbor's network but do NOT see my network.
    I did not make sure there was any activity on my network however. So tomorrow
    I'll play around again and while the laptop is NOT "connected" to any network...
    I will use another wireless computer here to create traffic. Will even boot that
    other computer so it has to go out and find the network. Will see what happens.
    But about the word "Blank". Is there something special about that SSID name? Do
    I need to enter that SSID name into my list of preferred networks on the laptop
    that is doing this experiment?
    DanR, Jun 15, 2005