    computer.

    Is this possible?

    Charles
    Charles Ferland, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Charles Ferland

    none Guest

    It's possible with a Linux box hosting the USB hub - you could connect to
    the Linux box via telnet and then use a terminal program to open the
    different serial ports.

    none, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Probably, but you would want to probably use powered USB hubs instead of
    passive ones to accomodate the power draw of the serial to USB converters.
    I think that using individual USB to Serial converters is probably a poor
    idea, since they are not really designed to be used in groups. You are also
    limited to 8 com ports in stock Windows, if I recall.

    You'd probably be best to use a multiport USB serial connector like the ones
    from Quatech.
    http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_usb.php

    Disclaimer: I've never used them. And you start to climb up in prices
    similar to a terminal server with those.

    Why use USB in that way?
    Phillip Remaker, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Charles Ferland

    127 Guest

    "Phillip Remaker" <> wrote in message
    > Probably, but you would want to probably use powered USB hubs instead of
    > passive ones to accomodate the power draw of the serial to USB converters.
    > I think that using individual USB to Serial converters is probably a poor
    > idea, since they are not really designed to be used in groups. You are

    also
    > limited to 8 com ports in stock Windows, if I recall.
    >
    > You'd probably be best to use a multiport USB serial connector like the

    ones
    > from Quatech.
    > http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_usb.php
    >
    > Disclaimer: I've never used them. And you start to climb up in prices
    > similar to a terminal server with those.
    >
    > Why use USB in that way?

    This is just a guess, but there is several different laptops around these
    days that don't have a serial port.

    127, Aug 16, 2004