    kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

    --
    ShaneS
    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=, Oct 15, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:15:04 -0700, =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=
    <> wrote:

    >I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
    >our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.

    Let me guess:
    Apple's Airport is an 802.11a type network (5 GHz) ?
    Your notebook supports 802.11b & 802.11g (2.4 GHz) ?

    Then, you have an incompatibility that is not easy to solve :)
    (As far as I know, at least :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Oct 15, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is the Airport broadcasting the SSID or is it hidden? Is there an
    active wireless NIC in network adapters in Device Manager? Is there
    a driver installed?

    IS there a hardware or software switch to turn on the wireless?

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:15:04 -0700, ShaneS
    <> wrote:

    >I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
    >our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.
    >
    >XP's "Choose a wireless network" screen simply says "No wireless networks
    >in range" and recommends "Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is
    >on".
    >
    >Under "Wireless Connection Properties" I have added the name & required
    >details of the Airport network, but it still won't list it as available.
    >I have been using Apple computers only for years and unfortunately have not
    >kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Thanks Barb & Gerard, but in the meantime I tried reloading XP (Service Pack
    2) from the CD-ROM and selected "Upgrade" and when it finished loading,
    everything just simply worked!
    Windows, whatever it's perceived shortcomings, has dramatically improved
    since the last time I used it in the notorious "Blue screen of death" years.
    Although I understand Vista is going through the usual teething problems, I
    would gladly run this XP (SP2) with the new Mac OS X Leopard when it comes
    out - my previously limited software/accessory options are going to be
    awesome!

    With appreciation,
    --
    ShaneS

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=, Oct 16, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    thanks for the update. glad it is working!

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 16, 2007