    which I put on the computer?
    Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Thank
    you. Mike
    Mike950, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Mike950

    MC Guest

    Uzytkownik "smlunatick" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    If you do not use a wireless router, you can only set up a wi-fi link
    in an "ad hoc" (direct betweek two devices) usually between only two
    device at one time.
    ===============
    Canon MP980 does not support network of "ad hoc" type. Probably the MP620,
    too.
    MC, Jan 16, 2009

  3. Mike950

    Mike950 Guest

    Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Here is the info on my setup: DSL modem to 4 port Linksys wired router (all
    ports being used. 1=main comp., 2=second comp., 3=wife's comp.,4=son's

    comp.) None of the computers are WiFi enabled. The Canon Pixma MP620
    printer is connected to the main comp. via USB printer cable. Printer is not

    connected to the router (no more ports). Specific info on comps listed at
    end of of this post if you need them.

    Question: How can I print from comp #2 to the Canon printer without having
    to turn on Comp #1.

    Some of the things I've considered:
    1. Using some sort of A/B switch at the printer and running a USB printer
    cable to the A/B switch from comp #1 and Comp#2. (Probably the simplest way)
    2. Using a bluetooth "dongle" on comp. #2 and the printer. (Not sure if
    this will work. I thought someone mentioned the printer may not be able to
    use two

    different types of connections (USB cable and Bluetooth at the same time).
    3. Using a WiFi dongle on comp #2 and trying to connect by WiFi to the
    printer. (I have heard the MP620 may not support network of "ad hoc" type

    connection. This type of connection may also not work because of the same
    reason in #2 (the printer may not use two different types of connections at
    the

    same time).

    I would appreciate ANY other connection methods that may work. Thank you
    for your help. Mike

    To: Lanwench You mentioned "Yes, but the computer doesn't have to be
    connected wirelessly - it could be using a wired Ethernet connection to get
    to the wirelessly-connected printer."

    How would one do this?

    Systems Info:

    Computer #1: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz, 2x2GB DDR2-1066 Corsair
    Dominator Memory, Cooler Master 750w Real Power Pro, Gigabyte Radeon

    HD 4870 512Mb, Antec 900 Case, 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata HD's, Pioneer
    and Sony Sata DVD/RW's, Windows Vista Premium 32 SP1.

    Computer #2: Intel P4 3.0E GHz, 4x512Mb PC333 Kingston Memory, Antec 450w
    True Power, eVga7600GS Agp 256Mb, Antec 1650B case, 2x WD Caviar

    120 GB Pata HD's, NEC DVD/RW, Lite-On DVDROM, SB Audigy Sound, Windows XP Hm
    SP3.

    Computer #3 & #4 are similar to #2.
    Mike950, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Mike950 <> wrote:
    > Here is the info on my setup: DSL modem to 4 port Linksys wired
    > router (all ports being used. 1=main comp., 2=second comp., 3=wife's
    > comp.,4=son's
    >
    > comp.) None of the computers are WiFi enabled. The Canon Pixma MP620
    > printer is connected to the main comp. via USB printer cable.
    > Printer is not
    >
    > connected to the router (no more ports). Specific info on comps
    > listed at end of of this post if you need them.
    >
    > Question: How can I print from comp #2 to the Canon printer without
    > having to turn on Comp #1.

    You need to connect the Canon to a wireless network. Since you don't have
    one, you will need to either

    a) get a wireless access point (not a router - Linksys & plenty of others
    make them if you want to stick with the same brand) & an additional small
    ethernet switch (to extend/add to the existing 4 ports, which won't suffice)
    or
    b) replace the Linksys with a model that includes wireless & also has a
    4-port switch

    Whichever you use make sure you lock the wireless down - change the SSID
    (broacast name), change the admin password, and use WPA+PSK encryption, not
    WEP.

    > Some of the things I've considered:
    > 1. Using some sort of A/B switch at the printer and running a USB
    > printer cable to the A/B switch from comp #1 and Comp#2. (Probably
    > the simplest way)

    Could do. But I have never had good luck with stuff like that, honestly.

    > 2. Using a bluetooth "dongle" on comp. #2 and the printer. (Not
    > sure if this will work. I thought someone mentioned the printer may
    > not be able to use two
    >
    > different types of connections (USB cable and Bluetooth at the same
    > time).

    Yes, that's been my experience.

    > 3. Using a WiFi dongle on comp #2 and trying to connect by WiFi to
    > the printer. (I have heard the MP620 may not support network of "ad
    > hoc" type

    It probably won't, no, and you'd really complicate the setup on comp #2. I
    wouldn't do this.

    > connection. This type of connection may also not work because of the
    > same reason in #2 (the printer may not use two different types of
    > connections at the
    >
    > same time).
    >
    > I would appreciate ANY other connection methods that may work. Thank
    > you for your help. Mike
    >
    > To: Lanwench You mentioned "Yes, but the computer doesn't have to
    > be connected wirelessly - it could be using a wired Ethernet
    > connection to get to the wirelessly-connected printer."
    >
    > How would one do this?

    If you have a network set up, it doesn't matter if some of the
    devices/computers are wired, and some wireless. I'm currently using my
    (wireless) laptop to connect to my (wired) server.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 17, 2009
  5. Mike950

    Lem Guest

    Mike950 wrote:
    > Here is the info on my setup: DSL modem to 4 port Linksys wired router (all
    > ports being used. 1=main comp., 2=second comp., 3=wife's comp.,4=son's
    >
    > comp.) None of the computers are WiFi enabled. The Canon Pixma MP620
    > printer is connected to the main comp. via USB printer cable. Printer is not
    >
    > connected to the router (no more ports). Specific info on comps listed at
    > end of of this post if you need them.
    >
    > Question: How can I print from comp #2 to the Canon printer without having
    > to turn on Comp #1.
    >
    > Some of the things I've considered:
    > 1. Using some sort of A/B switch at the printer and running a USB printer
    > cable to the A/B switch from comp #1 and Comp#2. (Probably the simplest way)
    > 2. Using a bluetooth "dongle" on comp. #2 and the printer. (Not sure if
    > this will work. I thought someone mentioned the printer may not be able to
    > use two
    >
    > different types of connections (USB cable and Bluetooth at the same time).
    > 3. Using a WiFi dongle on comp #2 and trying to connect by WiFi to the
    > printer. (I have heard the MP620 may not support network of "ad hoc" type
    >
    > connection. This type of connection may also not work because of the same
    > reason in #2 (the printer may not use two different types of connections at
    > the
    >
    > same time).
    >
    > I would appreciate ANY other connection methods that may work. Thank you
    > for your help. Mike
    >
    > To: Lanwench You mentioned "Yes, but the computer doesn't have to be
    > connected wirelessly - it could be using a wired Ethernet connection to get
    > to the wirelessly-connected printer."
    >
    > How would one do this?
    >

    > Systems Info:
    >
    > Computer #1: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz, 2x2GB DDR2-1066 Corsair
    > Dominator Memory, Cooler Master 750w Real Power Pro, Gigabyte Radeon
    >
    > HD 4870 512Mb, Antec 900 Case, 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata HD's, Pioneer
    > and Sony Sata DVD/RW's, Windows Vista Premium 32 SP1.
    >
    > Computer #2: Intel P4 3.0E GHz, 4x512Mb PC333 Kingston Memory, Antec 450w
    > True Power, eVga7600GS Agp 256Mb, Antec 1650B case, 2x WD Caviar
    >
    > 120 GB Pata HD's, NEC DVD/RW, Lite-On DVDROM, SB Audigy Sound, Windows XP Hm
    > SP3.
    >
    > Computer #3 & #4 are similar to #2.

    Simplest solution:

    - Buy an inexpensive switch (non-wireless), e.g.: $21.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005

    - Disconnect one of the 4 computers from your router

    - Connect switch to the freed-up port

    - Connect the 4th computer and the printer to the switch.

    - If you get a switch with a "shared uplink port" such as the Linksys
    example above, note that you can't use the port physically next to the
    uplink port for connecting to your computers or printer.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jan 17, 2009
  6. Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
    > Mike950 wrote:
    >> Here is the info on my setup: DSL modem to 4 port Linksys wired
    >> router (all ports being used. 1=main comp., 2=second comp.,
    >> 3=wife's comp.,4=son's comp.) None of the computers are WiFi enabled.
    >> The Canon Pixma
    >> MP620 printer is connected to the main comp. via USB printer cable.
    >> Printer is not connected to the router (no more ports). Specific info on
    >> comps
    >> listed at end of of this post if you need them.
    >>
    >> Question: How can I print from comp #2 to the Canon printer without
    >> having to turn on Comp #1.
    >>
    >> Some of the things I've considered:
    >> 1. Using some sort of A/B switch at the printer and running a USB
    >> printer cable to the A/B switch from comp #1 and Comp#2. (Probably
    >> the simplest way) 2. Using a bluetooth "dongle" on comp. #2 and the
    >> printer. (Not
    >> sure if this will work. I thought someone mentioned the printer may
    >> not be able to use two
    >>
    >> different types of connections (USB cable and Bluetooth at the same
    >> time). 3. Using a WiFi dongle on comp #2 and trying to connect by WiFi
    >> the printer. (I have heard the MP620 may not support network of "ad
    >> hoc" type connection. This type of connection may also not work because
    >> of
    >> the same reason in #2 (the printer may not use two different types
    >> of connections at the
    >>
    >> same time).
    >>
    >> I would appreciate ANY other connection methods that may work. Thank you
    >> for your help. Mike
    >>
    >> To: Lanwench You mentioned "Yes, but the computer doesn't have to
    >> be connected wirelessly - it could be using a wired Ethernet
    >> connection to get to the wirelessly-connected printer."
    >>
    >> How would one do this?
    >>

    >> Systems Info:
    >>
    >> Computer #1: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz, 2x2GB DDR2-1066
    >> Corsair Dominator Memory, Cooler Master 750w Real Power Pro,
    >> Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870 512Mb, Antec 900 Case, 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB
    >> Sata HD's,
    >> Pioneer and Sony Sata DVD/RW's, Windows Vista Premium 32 SP1.
    >>
    >> Computer #2: Intel P4 3.0E GHz, 4x512Mb PC333 Kingston Memory,
    >> Antec 450w True Power, eVga7600GS Agp 256Mb, Antec 1650B case, 2x
    >> WD Caviar 120 GB Pata HD's, NEC DVD/RW, Lite-On DVDROM, SB Audigy Sound,
    >> Windows XP Hm SP3.
    >>
    >> Computer #3 & #4 are similar to #2.

    > Simplest solution:
    >
    > - Buy an inexpensive switch (non-wireless), e.g.: $21.99
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005
    >
    > - Disconnect one of the 4 computers from your router
    >
    > - Connect switch to the freed-up port
    >
    > - Connect the 4th computer and the printer to the switch.

    The printer doesn't have an Ethernet port, or so I understand. Wireless or
    USB only. Otherwise, your suggestion would work fine.

    > - If you get a switch with a "shared uplink port" such as the Linksys
    > example above, note that you can't use the port physically next to the
    > uplink port for connecting to your computers or printer.

    I'm not sure I understand that. Besides the uplink port, all the other ports
    are the same and can be used. I've never seen any that didn't work that way.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 17, 2009
  7. Mike950

    Lem Guest

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

    > The printer doesn't have an Ethernet port, or so I understand. Wireless or
    > USB only. Otherwise, your suggestion would work fine.

    Actually, it does have an Ethernet port, or so the spec page at
    http://tinyurl.com/6tbtr2 says:

    Standard Interface
    Wireless LAN interface (IEEE 802.11b/g), Bluetooth® v2.04 (Optional),
    Card Slots (See Memory Card Support), Ethernet, PictBridge (Cable not
    included), USB 2.0 Hi-Speed

    >> - If you get a switch with a "shared uplink port" such as the Linksys
    >> example above, note that you can't use the port physically next to the
    >> uplink port for connecting to your computers or printer.

    > I'm not sure I understand that. Besides the uplink port, all the other ports
    > are the same and can be used. I've never seen any that didn't work that way.

    I'm not sure that I understand it either, but from the User Guide for
    the Linksys EZXS55W
    (http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/EZXS55_88_16W_V20_UG_B-WEB.pdf)

    NOTE TO USERS OF 10/100 5- OR 8-PORT
    SWITCH (EZXS55W OR EZXS88W): If you
    connect a router or additional switch to the
    Uplink port, then you cannot use the numbered
    port next to the Uplink port (port 5 on the
    5-Port Switch or port 8 on the 8-Port Switch will
    be inactive). The two ports are wired together,
    so they cannot be used simultaneously.

    Basically, although there are 6 jacks on the box, you only get to use a
    maximum of 5 of them at any given time.

    So many "entry level" networking devices these days have automatic
    MDI/MDI-X sensing that I'm surprised that this one has an "uplink" port
    anyway. I guess they saved a few bucks.

    I suppose the implication is that if you want to connect one of the LAN
    ports on the OP's existing router to one of the 5 LAN ports on the
    EZXS55W, you have to use a cross-over cable. If you use the "uplink"
    port, you can use a straight-through cable.

    I think I have heard of this "feature" before, but I added it to my post
    because I didn't want the OP to go out and buy the switch on my
    suggestion, happen to pick the inactive port by chance (only a 20%
    chance ...), and then be confused when things didn't work.

    Other than that note, there's not much to the "user guide" (e.g., no
    explanation of when/if you use a cross-over or straight-through cable).
    The UG is confusing in other ways, too. Its "overview" describes a
    different product.
    Lem, Jan 18, 2009
  8. Mike950

    Mike950 Guest

    Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Thank you very much Lanwench and Lem. You answered my questions very clearly
    and also provided information on possible problems I could run into. It
    sounds like the least
    expensive route would be to purchase the Linksys switch suggested by Lem.
    If I didn't want two devices on my desk and didn't mind the extra expense I
    could go with Lanwench's suggestion on purchasing a Linksys wireless router
    with the 4 wired ports (my brother has one and it's just like the wired
    Linksys I have except with the added wireless capability). I'd still have to
    purchase the WiFi dongle for comp. #2 if I went this route.

    Anyway, I again thank you both for your help. Not only did I get my
    questions answered but learned a great deal about wireless technology. You
    folks are great! Mike

    PS: The Canon OnScreen Manual and Web Support site didn't have any of this
    information.

    Mike950, Jan 18, 2009
  9. Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >

    >> The printer doesn't have an Ethernet port, or so I understand.
    >> Wireless or USB only. Otherwise, your suggestion would work fine.

    > Actually, it does have an Ethernet port, or so the spec page at
    > http://tinyurl.com/6tbtr2 says:
    >
    > Standard Interface
    > Wireless LAN interface (IEEE 802.11b/g), Bluetooth® v2.04 (Optional),
    > Card Slots (See Memory Card Support), Ethernet, PictBridge (Cable not
    > included), USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
    >
    >>> - If you get a switch with a "shared uplink port" such as the
    >>> Linksys example above, note that you can't use the port physically
    >>> next to the uplink port for connecting to your computers or printer.

    >> I'm not sure I understand that. Besides the uplink port, all the
    >> other ports are the same and can be used. I've never seen any that
    >> didn't work that way.

    > I'm not sure that I understand it either, but from the User Guide for
    > the Linksys EZXS55W
    > (http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/EZXS55_88_16W_V20_UG_B-WEB.pdf)
    >

    > NOTE TO USERS OF 10/100 5- OR 8-PORT
    > SWITCH (EZXS55W OR EZXS88W): If you
    > connect a router or additional switch to the
    > Uplink port, then you cannot use the numbered
    > port next to the Uplink port (port 5 on the
    > 5-Port Switch or port 8 on the 8-Port Switch will
    > be inactive). The two ports are wired together,
    > so they cannot be used simultaneously.
    >
    > Basically, although there are 6 jacks on the box, you only get to use
    > a maximum of 5 of them at any given time.
    >
    > So many "entry level" networking devices these days have automatic
    > MDI/MDI-X sensing that I'm surprised that this one has an "uplink"
    > port anyway. I guess they saved a few bucks.
    >
    > I suppose the implication is that if you want to connect one of the
    > LAN ports on the OP's existing router to one of the 5 LAN ports on the
    > EZXS55W, you have to use a cross-over cable. If you use the "uplink"
    > port, you can use a straight-through cable.
    >
    > I think I have heard of this "feature" before, but I added it to my
    > post because I didn't want the OP to go out and buy the switch on my
    > suggestion, happen to pick the inactive port by chance (only a 20%
    > chance ...), and then be confused when things didn't work.
    >
    > Other than that note, there's not much to the "user guide" (e.g., no
    > explanation of when/if you use a cross-over or straight-through
    > cable). The UG is confusing in other ways, too. Its "overview"
    > describes a different product.

    That's interesting & I'm glad you posted the info. I've never seen/heard of
    that. I don't generally use Linksys equipment, honestly, but this would
    definitely have been a frustration to me if I ran into one, and I'll try to
    remember.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 18, 2009
  10. Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connectio

    Mike950 <> wrote:
    > Thank you very much Lanwench and Lem. You answered my questions very
    > clearly and also provided information on possible problems I could
    > run into. It sounds like the least
    > expensive route would be to purchase the Linksys switch suggested by
    > Lem.

    Except that you can't connect your printer to it. It's wireless only, no
    wired Ethernet, right?

    > If I didn't want two devices on my desk and didn't mind the extra
    > expense I could go with Lanwench's suggestion on purchasing a Linksys
    > wireless router with the 4 wired ports (my brother has one and it's
    > just like the wired Linksys I have except with the added wireless
    > capability). I'd still have to purchase the WiFi dongle for comp. #2
    > if I went this route.

    No, you wouldn't have to do that. You could connect all the computers to the
    *wired* network, and the printer to the *wireless* network, and they'd all
    be on the same network. :)

    > Anyway, I again thank you both for your help. Not only did I get my
    > questions answered but learned a great deal about wireless
    > technology. You folks are great! Mike

    Awww, shucks....we're just drawn that way.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 18, 2009