    Any suggestion on where to start... I thought there is a way to share the
    printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.

    thanks,
    L., May 27, 2010

  2. "L." <> wrote in message
    news:euDwVXg$...

    > ... I thought there is a way to share the
    > printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.

    There is usually another way. (Most tasks the manufacturer truly
    believes impossible are usually done sooner or later by someone
    else.) But the practical question is how fast and how cheaply
    a task can be done. The fast way to share one printer between
    two PCs is to create a network of all three.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    Don Phillipson, May 28, 2010

  3. L.

    Lem Guest

    On 5/26/2010 10:17 PM, L. wrote:
    > desktop and laptop both running winXP (sp3).
    > Have not set up sharing between the two.
    > Printer (hp5220) connected to desktop.
    > Went into CP, Printers and set printer to share.
    >
    > On laptop went to CP, Printers and have tried to add printer with no luck.
    > Let system scan for new printer(Add Printer Wizard) and the only thing that
    > comes up in Shared printers is MS Windows Network.
    >
    > Any suggestion on where to start... I thought there is a way to share the
    > printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.
    >
    > thanks,

    Not to be facetious, but if you haven't connected the two computers in
    some way, how do you expect to share a resource on one computer (the
    printer) with the other computer?

    You *do* need a network in order to access shared resources. The easiest
    way is to use a router to which both computers are connected, but you
    could also connect the computers directly.

    Assuming that the computers are physically connected to each other or to
    a common router, run the "Network Setup Wizard" on both computers. Make
    sure that any non-Windows firewalls are properly configured to allow LAN
    traffic.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, May 28, 2010
  4. L.

    L. Guest

    Got it. Did connect through router.

    L., May 29, 2010
  5. L.

    kevin_techno

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    NY
    Follow the instructions to install the software for the printer. You should get a setup wizard and be able to follow step-by-step instructions in order to install the software for the printer.
    Turn on your printer. Plug in the connecting wire to your serial, USB or parallel port depending on the port the printer needs. The laptop should pick up the new hardware, but if it doesn't, you need to reboot the laptop.
    Set up a wireless network and you won't have to worry about plugging in the wire each time you need to print your documents. Otherwise, when you are done printing remove the plug and take your laptop wherever you want. When you have another document to print, just take your laptop to your printer, turn the printer on and plug in the connecting wire. You then can print your documents.
    kevin_techno, Aug 18, 2010