    please help

    --
    Phil

    phil, Jun 20, 2006

  2. phil

    Gordon Guest

    "phil" <pissinthepot.co.uk> wrote:

    > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > house.
    > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
    > pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
    > would be great...... free if possible :0
    >
    > both use xp home
    >
    > please help

    You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
    must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
    Network cable.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

    Gordon, Jun 20, 2006

  3. phil

    Deano Guest

    "phil" <pissinthepot.co.uk> wrote in message
    > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > house.
    > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my

    pc,
    > from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would

    be
    > great...... free if possible :0
    >
    > both use xp home
    >
    > please help
    >

    > --
    > Phil

    A free logmein account would work ok.

    www.logmein.com

    You can then just email the files across from your machine.

    Deano, Jun 20, 2006
  4. phil

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, Gordon says...
    > "phil" <pissinthepot.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > > house.
    > > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
    > > pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
    > > would be great...... free if possible :0
    > >
    > > both use xp home
    > >
    > > please help
    > >

    > You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
    > must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
    > Network cable.

    and what if he lives 200 miles away?

    That would be some network cable

    Flying Rat, Jun 20, 2006
  5. phil

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > house.
    > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my pc,
    > from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would be
    > great...... free if possible :0
    >
    > both use xp home
    >
    > please help

    easiest way would be to set up an FTP server on a non-standard port.
    Otherwise something like PC Anywhere may be an idea but it depends on
    what you may need.

    I'd use an FTP server like Cerberus and lock it down with password-only
    access, then make the directories the ones with your files in it.
    http://www.cerberusftp.com/

    Flying Rat, Jun 20, 2006
  6. phil

    phil Guest

    thanks guys

    phil, Jun 20, 2006
  7. I have 3 PC's at home, using a 4 port router and using the same name for the
    group, I can see all of them and move files between them all the time.

    RLC Wallpapers, Jun 20, 2006
  8. phil

    Dirk Guest

    phil wrote:
    > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > house.
    > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my pc,
    > from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would be
    > great...... free if possible :0
    >
    > both use xp home
    >
    > please help
    >

    > --
    > Phil

    You cannot network XP home machines

    Dirk, Jun 20, 2006
  9. phil

    Deano Guest

    "Dirk" <> wrote in message

    > phil wrote:
    > > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    > > house.
    > > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my

    pc,
    > > from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would

    be
    > > great...... free if possible :0
    > >
    > > both use xp home
    > >
    > > please help
    > >

    > > --
    > > Phil

    > You cannot network XP home machines

    Really? What are the technical reasons for that then?

    Deano, Jun 20, 2006

  10. > You cannot network XP home machines

    Shhh.... don't tell that to this WinXP Home laptop I'm working on, which
    is currently networked and sharing files with a Win2k box and a Mac..

    It doesn't seem to know that it can't do it.

    David Matthew Wood, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Gordon wrote:
    > "phil" <pissinthepot.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    >> house.
    >> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
    >> pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
    >> would be great...... free if possible :0
    >>
    >> both use xp home

    > You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
    > must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
    > Network cable.

    That would probably need to be a pretty long cable, between their
    respective residences.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  12. RLC Wallpapers wrote:
    > I have 3 PC's at home, using a 4 port router and using the same name for the
    > group, I can see all of them and move files between them all the time.

    And that's relevant how, to this guy who's not taking his "pc" to his
    friens [sic] house?

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  13. phil

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 20 Jun 2006 23:34:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> "phil" <pissinthepot.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
    >>> house.
    >>> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
    >>> pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
    >>> would be great...... free if possible :0
    >>>
    >>> both use xp home

    >> You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
    >> must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
    >> Network cable.

    >That would probably need to be a pretty long cable, between their
    >respective residences.

    They could use a sattelite link as long as one of them owns a sattelite.

    >--
    >Blinky RLU 297263
    >Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    >Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 21, 2006
  14. Barry OGrady wrote:
    > On 20 Jun 2006 23:34:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>Gordon wrote:

    >>> You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
    >>> must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
    >>> Network cable.

    >>That would probably need to be a pretty long cable, between their
    >>respective residences.

    > They could use a sattelite link as long as one of them owns a sattelite.

    They could rent one.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  15. It is relevant becuase it is a way to connect two or more computers you
    silly goose.
    If he doesn't have a 4 port router, of course he will not be able to do it.

    RLC Wallpapers, Jun 21, 2006
  16. phil

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Dirk" <> wrote in message

    > You cannot network XP home machines

    50 quid a turn with your wife says you can.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 21, 2006
  17. RLC Wallpapers wrote:
    > It is relevant becuase it is a way to connect two or more computers you
    > silly goose.
    > If he doesn't have a 4 port router, of course he will not be able to do it.

    He's not taking his computer to his friend's home, you fruit bat. :)

    He said (my emphasis): "...BRING SOME FILES FROM MY PC to his house",
    not "bring my pc to his house".

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  18. Dan Evans wrote:

    > "Dirk" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> You cannot network XP home machines

    > 50 quid a turn with your wife says you can.

    Better get some jpgs first...

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  19. phil

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dirk" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> You cannot network XP home machines

    >> 50 quid a turn with your wife says you can.

    > Better get some jpgs first...

    Turn 'em upside down and they all look the same.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 21, 2006
  20. phil

    Dan Evans Guest

    "RLC Wallpapers" <> wrote in message
    > It is relevant becuase it is a way to connect two or more computers you
    > silly goose.

    Big Gay Al is in the house

    > If he doesn't have a 4 port router, of course he will not be able to do
    > it.

    So my Ovislink FSH-2602G isn't up to the job then?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 21, 2006