Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I have two PCs running Win XP home edition that are presently
    connected to a broadband cable modem via a Netgear router and patch
    cables. They are currently only sharing the internet and not files or
    printer.

    There are times when it would be desirable to have one of the PCs act
    as a clone of the other - that is, one PC sees or mimics what the
    other PC is seeing and doing.

    I am totally a newbie when it comes to networking and only know that
    it is possible to share files and printers on a network but am not
    aware if it is possible to have two PCs connected so that one is a
    slave to the other and sees and does in parallel what the other is
    doing.

    Is this possible, and if so, would some some kind soul walk me through
    the process.

    Thanks for any assistance,

    Frank
    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 30, 2004

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Ed Rust Guest

    Maybe PCAnywhere? www.pcanywhere.com

    HTH,

    Ed

    Ed Rust, Aug 30, 2004

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Ingeborg Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote in

    Have a look at www.realvnc.com
    Ingeborg, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Re: Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ? (crossposting cut)

    > I have two PCs running Win XP home edition that are presently
    > connected to a broadband cable modem via a Netgear router and patch
    > cables. They are currently only sharing the internet and not files or
    > printer.
    >
    > There are times when it would be desirable to have one of the PCs act
    > as a clone of the other - that is, one PC sees or mimics what the
    > other PC is seeing and doing.
    >
    > I am totally a newbie when it comes to networking and only know that
    > it is possible to share files and printers on a network but am not
    > aware if it is possible to have two PCs connected so that one is a
    > slave to the other and sees and does in parallel what the other is
    > doing.

    Requesting help using Remote Assistance
    Sometimes the best way to fix a problem is to have someone show you how.
    Remote Assistance is a convenient way for a distant friend to connect to
    your computer from another computer running a compatible operating system,
    such as Windows XP, and walk you through your solution.

    By following the easy steps in Remote Assistance, you can use Windows
    Messenger Service or an e-mail message to invite a friend to connect to your
    computer. After he or she is connected, your friend will be able to view
    your computer screen and chat with you in real time about what you both see.
    With your permission, your assistant can even use his or her mouse and
    keyboard to work with you on your computer.

    To start Remote Assistance

    1.. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
    2.. Click Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote
    Assistance.
    Notes

    a.. Both you and your helper must be using either Windows Messenger
    Service or a MAPI-compliant e-mail account such as Microsoft Outlook or
    Outlook Express.
    b.. You and your helper need to be connected to the Internet while using
    Remote Assistance.
    c.. If you are working on a local area network, firewalls might stop you
    from using Remote Assistance. In this case, check with your network
    administrator before using Remote Assistance.
    d.. If for some reason you are unable to send an invitation by using
    e-mail or Windows Messenger Service, you can create and save an invitation.
    On the first page of Remote Assistance, click Invite someone to help you. On
    the next page, click Save invitation as a file (Advanced), and follow the
    instructions to save the file. You can then send the saved invitation file
    to your helper in the manner you choose, such as copying it onto a floppy
    disk or a shared network location, sending it over another e-mail service or
    an FTP connection, and so on.
    Related Topics
    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!, Aug 30, 2004
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    D Guest

    Re: Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ? (crossposting cut)

    I dont mean to step on the toes of those who graciously offered their
    suggestions. It is simply that I am interested in hearing possible answers
    to what the OP actually asked.

    PCanywhere and realvnc are both gr8 remote control programs (the XP version
    is ok I guess :) ) but none of them will do what the OP asked.

    the question is: can one make a PC a slave of another? can you have the
    slave PC mimic the actions of the master (without doing things a second
    time)? with remote control progz, you would still need to do things twice
    (even though it is from a console on the master).

    new ideas????

    thanks,

    D, Aug 30, 2004
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks to Ed and Ingeborg

    Another responder made me aware that I may have framed my question
    improperly - what I am hoping to do is to have redundancy between two
    PCs, i.e., my wife can be sitting at one PC and can see what I am
    doing and seeing on the other PC. An example would be when I am video
    instant messaging or video chatting with MSN Messenger or Yahoo she
    can see what I am seeing and doing without sitting next to me or
    looking over my shoulder - sort of like mutually agreed upon
    evesdropping.

    Hope this makes sense!

    Is there a way to accomplish this?

    Thanks again,

    Frank
    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Re: Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ? (crossposting cut)

    "D" <> wrote in message
    >I dont mean to step on the toes of those who graciously offered their
    >suggestions. It is simply that I am interested in hearing possible answers
    >to what the OP actually asked.
    >
    > PCanywhere and realvnc are both gr8 remote control programs (the XP
    > version is ok I guess :) ) but none of them will do what the OP asked.
    >
    > the question is: can one make a PC a slave of another? can you have the
    > slave PC mimic the actions of the master (without doing things a second
    > time)? with remote control progz, you would still need to do things twice
    > (even though it is from a console on the master).
    >
    > new ideas????
    >
    > thanks,

    Excuse me top poster, maybe you missed this line:

    With your permission, your assistant can even use his or her mouse and
    keyboard to work with you on your computer.

    Nuff said
    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!, Aug 31, 2004
  8. - what I am hoping to do is to have redundancy between two
    > PCs, i.e., my wife can be sitting at one PC and can see what I am
    > doing and seeing on the other PC. An example would be when I am video
    > instant messaging or video chatting with MSN Messenger or Yahoo she
    > can see what I am seeing and doing without sitting next to me or
    > looking over my shoulder - sort of like mutually agreed upon
    > evesdropping.

    In case you haven't figured it out you, they don't make what you are asking
    for. The bast you can probably do is put two graphics cards in one computer
    with a second monitor to save your wife from looking over your shoulder.
    Someone I know has a box that connects to one computer to two monitors two
    mice and two keyboards. You will have to ask a local dealer for a solution
    as I don't know the manufacture for this.
    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!, Sep 1, 2004
  9. ECLiPSE 2002

    Scraggy Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > Thanks to Ed and Ingeborg
    >
    > Another responder made me aware that I may have framed my question
    > improperly - what I am hoping to do is to have redundancy between two
    > PCs, i.e., my wife can be sitting at one PC and can see what I am
    > doing and seeing on the other PC. An example would be when I am video
    > instant messaging or video chatting with MSN Messenger or Yahoo she
    > can see what I am seeing and doing without sitting next to me or
    > looking over my shoulder - sort of like mutually agreed upon
    > evesdropping.
    >
    > Hope this makes sense!
    >
    > Is there a way to accomplish this?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Frank

    This is quite easily achievable, but it will might cost. 1.Download Net
    Support Manager(30 day trial) http://www.netsupportsoftware.co.uk/ This
    will, in a window on your PC show the desktop of the client PC
    2.Real VNC will do the same but less well BUT is free
    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html/

    --
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
    boxing. -- Emo Philips
    Scraggy, Sep 1, 2004
  10. ECLiPSE 2002

    Gort Guest

    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!! wrote:
    > - what I am hoping to do is to have redundancy between two
    >> PCs, i.e., my wife can be sitting at one PC and can see what I am
    >> doing and seeing on the other PC. An example would be when I am video
    >> instant messaging or video chatting with MSN Messenger or Yahoo she
    >> can see what I am seeing and doing without sitting next to me or
    >> looking over my shoulder - sort of like mutually agreed upon
    >> evesdropping.

    > In case you haven't figured it out you, they don't make what you are
    > asking for. The bast you can probably do is put two graphics cards in
    > one computer with a second monitor to save your wife from looking
    > over your shoulder. Someone I know has a box that connects to one
    > computer to two monitors two mice and two keyboards. You will have to
    > ask a local dealer for a solution as I don't know the manufacture for
    > this.

    That device is called a KVM switch. Google will show lots of places to get
    one.

    --
    If you find a posting or message from myself offensive, inappropriate, or
    disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting,
    Gort, Sep 1, 2004
  11. ECLiPSE 2002

    D Guest

    that almost sounds like a reverse KVM switch and still doesnt answer the
    OP's original question.

    D, Sep 1, 2004
  12. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks for the input Dawg, Gort and Scraggy -

    Frank
    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 1, 2004
  13. ECLiPSE 2002

    Gary - US Guest

    A KVM will NOT do what the poster wants to do. One way to do it would be to
    download and install VNC. I suggest UltraVNC.

    --
    Semper Fi & God Bless The U.S.A.,
    Gary-US

    <Flush The Johns In '04>

    Gary - US, Sep 1, 2004
  14. ECLiPSE 2002

    Scraggy Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > Thanks for the input Dawg, Gort and Scraggy -
    >
    > Frank

    :)

    Scraggy, Sep 2, 2004
  15. ECLiPSE 2002