    My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
    But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
    solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

    Livewire, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Livewire wrote:

    > I've got an old laptop which is still viable enough to use for
    > wordprocessing etc. But the big problem is getting info in and out and
    > onto my desktop computer.

    > The lappy has a floppy drive but only a huge external CD Rom.

    > It has parallel and serial ports. It has two PCIMA ports.

    > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
    > But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
    > solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

    NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Livewire

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Livewire wrote:
    > I've got an old laptop which is still viable enough to use for
    > wordprocessing etc. But the big problem is getting info in and out and
    > onto my desktop computer.
    >
    > The lappy has a floppy drive but only a huge external CD Rom.
    >
    > It has parallel and serial ports. It has two PCIMA ports.
    >
    > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link
    > cable. But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very
    > cheap -- solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

    parallel <-> parallel, bi-directional cable.

    Dr. Bill, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Livewire

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
    > > But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
    > > solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

    > NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

    Yeah why not that will come in handy in the future anyway, but I'd still
    go for the hub/switch/router and standard cables.

    Plato, Mar 18, 2005
  5. Plato wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
    >> > But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
    >> > solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

    >> NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

    > Yeah why not that will come in handy in the future anyway, but I'd still
    > go for the hub/switch/router and standard cables.

    I was considering OP's request for "very cheap".

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2005