connecting old HP printer to network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff@nospam.invalid, Sep 27, 2011.

  1. Guest

    I have a mixed G and N home wlan network on which I have 2 W 7 laptops
    connected. One of these is a new laptop to replace an old XP laptop that
    was connected to an old but working fine laser printer using a printer
    parallel port.

    My problem:
    none of the new laptops have a printer parallel port. So I now have no
    way to connect my printer which only has a parallel connection.

    I was thinking of keeping the old XP laptop with its connected printer
    as a printer server on the network so we can still access the printer
    over the home network.

    Questions:
    1. Can the XP laptop (uses G wireless card) which I plan to put into a
    sleep state be set to "wake up" from the sleep state when it receives a
    print job for its printer? Also to wake up when it receives Windows updates.

    2. How?

    3. Is there another way to connect this parallel port printer to the
    network? How?

    Thanks, Jeff

    , Sep 27, 2011

  2. Guest

    On 9/27/11 9:07 AM, who where wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:29:52 -0400, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a mixed G and N home wlan network on which I have 2 W 7 laptops
    >> connected. One of these is a new laptop to replace an old XP laptop that
    >> was connected to an old but working fine laser printer using a printer
    >> parallel port.
    >>
    >> My problem:
    >> none of the new laptops have a printer parallel port. So I now have no
    >> way to connect my printer which only has a parallel connection.
    >>
    >> I was thinking of keeping the old XP laptop with its connected printer
    >> as a printer server on the network so we can still access the printer
    >> over the home network.
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >> 1. Can the XP laptop (uses G wireless card) which I plan to put into a
    >> sleep state be set to "wake up" from the sleep state when it receives a
    >> print job for its printer? Also to wake up when it receives Windows updates.
    >>
    >> 2. How?
    >>
    >> 3. Is there another way to connect this parallel port printer to the
    >> network? How?

    > For 3, assuming you have an ethernet port available at your network
    > router, an el-cheapo (nowadays) parallel port print server would do
    > the trick if the printer is nearby.

    Thanks, I will look for one.

    Jeff

    , Sep 27, 2011

  3. Guest

    On 9/27/11 7:58 PM, who where wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:26:51 -0400, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/27/11 9:07 AM, who where wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:29:52 -0400, ""
    >>> <> wrote:

    > (snip)

    >>> For 3, assuming you have an ethernet port available at your network
    >>> router, an el-cheapo (nowadays) parallel port print server would do
    >>> the trick if the printer is nearby.

    >> Thanks, I will look for one.

    > There are usually quite a few on fleabay, as this is old-tech and
    > droves of people are getting out of parallel printer configurations.
    >
    > I picked up a brand new Netgear PS101 mini print server for $10.

    Thank you

    , Sep 28, 2011