Connecting office laptop to my home wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Z3JheQ==?=, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. I have at home a wireless network based on a SpeedStream ADSL modem/wireless
    router which was provided and set up by my broadband service provider. I
    have 2 laptops, 1 desktop and 1 printer in various rooms all permanently
    connected wirelessly to the router. There are problems, such as the
    printer's connection being dropped frequently (this connection is displayed
    by the router's device management webpage as a Linux connection - which may
    be correct) and the Acer laptop is often, but not always, displayed as a
    Linux connection even though it uses only Windows XP Home Edition with SP2
    and all updates. This laptop's connection also gets dropped from time to
    time, but I can live with these problems for now by re-booting the router,
    printer or Acer laptop and re-establishing the connection. My service
    provider is unable to help on any of these issues.

    I use WPA-PSK encryption, a type G connection, channel 6 and the domain name
    - MSHOME. Quite often the router displays the domain name - WORKGROUP for
    the Acer laptop although it is set on that laptop to MSHOME.

    The main problem arises with my office laptop which will not connect. This
    is a Hewlett Packard badged Compaq nc6320 with built-in wireless networking
    using an Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945BG adaptor. The laptop detects the
    wireless service suggesting that the wireless hardware works but, when I ask
    it to connect, it does not get past the 'acquiring network address' message
    before eventually failing to connect. I have checked Device Manager on this
    machine and the wireless network adaptor's properties which displays the MAC
    address as - 00:00:00:00:00:00 - which surely must be an error. My first
    question is - is this a hardware error?

    The adaptor shows up on Device Manager, but the output from 'ipconfig/all'
    does not list the wireless adaptor. I have also run 'Netdiagnostics' which
    again does not display any wireless adaptor on the laptop. I have ensured
    that the wireless key on the keyboard is switched on and the blue light
    displays.

    My home network uses the domain name - MSHOME - however, my office laptop
    uses a different name as it was set up primarily for use on the office
    network. Does this matter? Surely not as I should be able to go to any
    internet cafe and connect wirelessly regardless of domain name? Or should I
    add another domain name? Can I add another domain name? All other settings
    on the office laptop match those I set up for the rest of my home network.

    Sorry to ask so many questions.

    Regards

    Graham Hicks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JheQ==?=, Apr 22, 2007

  2. Hi
    If the office uses a different type of Network with special logon and
    credentials, it would not work as is at home.
    First check with the office's IT if you are allowed to add a new
    configuration to the laptop.
    Configuring a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one Network.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 22, 2007

  3. Thank you, Jack

    I believe that the office network does use different logon and credentials,
    however, the part-time office IT guy was supposed to have set up the laptop
    to use on any number of networks as I travel frequently as part of my job and
    my previous office laptop was able to logon anywhere. I can logon to the
    wired network in the office where I am currently working, so I thought that
    the problem only existed at home where I have a wireless network.

    It would appear that he has not set up the new laptop properly. As I
    haven't been in my own office for several weeks, I have not been able to get
    him to sort it out yet.

    The link that you provided gives me a clue as to what to do next and I will
    follow through on my return home next week.

    Regards

    Graham Hicks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JheQ==?=, Apr 23, 2007