Connecting Networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Don W, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. Don W

    Don W Guest

    I have two wireless networks that I am trying to connect together. Here are
    the basics.

    I am a Networking Novice.

    Each network is located in a seperate structure. The routers are
    connected together (via a wireless point-to-point bridge) LAN port to LAN
    port. The wireless bridge advertises a max distance of 3 miles with direct
    line of site. The distance between my antennas is approximatly 150 ft.
    Everything is using 802.11g.

    The Source router is connected to the internet and is using DHCP. The
    router is set as a Gateway with an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and mask
    255.255.255.0

    The Destination router has DHCP turned off. The IP address is 192.168.1.2
    mask 255.255.255.0 and is set as a Router (not as a Gateway) which are my
    only choices.

    Each network (and bridge) is set to a different wireless channel and are
    not in conflict.

    I am using the same network name on both networks in hopes that while
    roaming between them, the connection will not drop (or will possibly
    re-connect automatically when comming into range).

    I have brought the two routers and bridge units very close together and
    nothing worked until I set a static route in the Source router. Then the
    PTP antenna turned on with a strong antenna alignment signal. Everything
    seemed to be working properly. But with all the wireless signals bouncing
    around, I am not really sure what was connecting where.

    When I move everything apart, I no longer have the connection with the
    Destination router or see any antenna alignment signal, much less internet
    access for the Destination network.

    I am presuming that I need to setup a correct static route in each router,
    especially in the Destination router. This is where it seems that I am
    having the trouble.

    Can I provide more information? Can anyone help?

    Don W, Feb 2, 2010

  2. Hi
    It is Not clear from your description the number of devices that are used.
    You should configure in each Location a regular Wireless Network to provide
    the local service, and then add in each location a second Wireless device
    working as a Bridge. The two Bridges should be use just to connect the two
    segments.
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 2, 2010

  3. Don W

    Don W Guest

    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for your quick response to help.

    There are three desktop computers all connected wireless at the Source.
    There is one desktop and one laptop at the Destination, both connected
    wireless.
    I do not use a wired connection as I prefer a high and centralized location
    for the routers. That way I always get a full strong wireless connection
    throughout the coverage area.

    The networks at both locations have always worked fine. I began this
    project mainly to get an internet connection at the Destination location,
    but I figured that a full merge into one large network would surely be a
    bonus.

    Upon connecting the bridge at the Source, I DID need to set a static route
    before it worked. It now shows a strong alignment signal. But I only
    guessed at the static route after doing some reading. Now the other half of
    the bridge at the Destination is the same, it is not indicating an antenna
    alignment signal. I am able to bring up the bridge configuration screen
    without a problem but with no signal, it looks like there cannot be a
    connection.

    Don

    Don W, Feb 2, 2010
  4. Hi
    I still do not get it.
    You have two locations each one with its own Wireless Router and you want
    the two Wireless Routers to do local Wireless as well as interconnect
    between them?
    It is impossible to do so with two independent Network.
    If you want a cohesive Network (provided that the signal is strong enough to
    support it) the second Router need to configured as WDS with No DHCP and No
    local connection to the WAN port. I.e. the whole Network should depends on
    the source Router.
    To make sure that the signal is strong enough for any connection. Take a
    Laptop and see if it can logon in the second location to the first one and
    work well.
    Or get more devices and do real Bridging, with two directional Antenna
    looking one at the other.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 2, 2010
  5. Don W

    Don W Guest

    Jack,
    You say quote: ...'Or get more devices and do real Bridging, with two
    directional Antenna
    looking one at the other'.
    What you recommend is exactly what I have done. Each location is using its
    own wireless router. The Source router has one LAN port connected to a
    wireless bridge device with its own directional antenna. It is aimed at the
    matching antenna of the Destination's wireless bridge device, which is then
    plugged into a LAN port on the Destination router.

    According to the bridge manufacturer: 'Using the bridge is totally
    transparent. It is the same as if the two routers are connected directly
    together using an ethernet cable'. And goes on to say: 'It can be used to
    connect the networks located in two seperate buildings and can share one
    internet connection'. Hey, that is exactly what I am trying to do.
    I hope that it IS possible...

    Don W, Feb 3, 2010
  6. Hi
    Ok got it.
    The problem is that you can Not connect two Independent Networks directly
    (with a cable or Wireless Bridge).
    You can insert a second Network card into a computer in the 1st Network and
    connect the Wireless Bridge to it (you might need a crossover cable),
    configure the second card's TCP/IP to be on the second Network.
    Then you Bridge the two cards together.
    This example describes USB connection but the principle is the same for
    regular wire or Wireless.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 3, 2010
  7. Don W

    Don W Guest

    Jack,
    Thanks soooo much for your help. There seems to be no information to
    explain these things to someone like myself. I will follow your link and do
    some further reading, but at first glance it looks like it is just
    instruction that I need.
    I was working on a graphic to show you what I am trying to accomplish, so
    I might as well post the link here. If I had this graphic ready beforehand,
    it would have saved us some typing. I can see now where the connection has
    to be made
    at a network adaptor, and not how it is depicted in my graphic.

    http://tinyurl.com/samplenetwork

    Please let me know if your suggestion will not accomplish what I need, or
    if you have anything further to add.
    Thanks again for your help.

    Don W, Feb 4, 2010