connecting multiple computers to the Internet using one fiber opticport

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    One room in our office has a single port(I guess it is a fiber optic
    port as a fiber optic cable comes out of it which connects to the
    computer allowing the computer to access the Internet). But, now only
    one computer can connect to the Internet using that port through a
    fiber optic cable. I reckon using a fiber optic router(just like a
    Ethernet router) more than one machine can connect to the Internet if
    we hook the fiber optic cable from the outlet to the router and then
    from the router to the machines we want to connect.

    Is my understanding is correct and which Fiber Optic Router is
    recommendable? Is a

    What is the price range for that? Is the one posted at
    http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...1770&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=401770
    a good one?

    I went through the link at http://www.ehow.com/how_2104278_pick-fiber-optic-service.html
    and http://www.ehow.com/how_2146003_choose-fiber-optic-modem.html but
    would appreciate more input.

    Thanks a lot.
    s, Sep 11, 2009

  2. s

    why? Guest

    Re: connecting multiple computers to the Internet using one fiber optic port

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:58:29 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:

    >One room in our office has a single port(I guess it is a fiber optic

    Office, simple solution ISP / connection supplier you ask them.

    >port as a fiber optic cable comes out of it which connects to the

    It should be easy to tell it's fiber - cables or connectors.

    LC/ST fiber
    http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/FDLCST-2M_LR.jpg
    ST/ST
    http://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/FIBSTST1.large.jpg
    LC/SC
    http://www.ace-plus.com/product/cisco/cab_mmf_sc_lc.jpg

    >computer allowing the computer to access the Internet). But, now only

    That's an expensive connection, fiber to a PC. Extreme overkill.

    >one computer can connect to the Internet using that port through a
    >fiber optic cable. I reckon using a fiber optic router(just like a
    >Ethernet router) more than one machine can connect to the Internet if

    As long as the router / ISP allows multiple addresses / PCs.

    >we hook the fiber optic cable from the outlet to the router and then
    >from the router to the machines we want to connect.

    If the ISP supports multiple address, although you may have to pay. It
    may be easier then, you simply buy a multiport switch with a fiber
    uplink port.

    Places like Cisco will have fiber/ethernet routers. As well as other
    vendors.

    >Is my understanding is correct and which Fiber Optic Router is
    >recommendable? Is a

    You ISP has nothing to say, about what kit can be connected?

    >What is the price range for that? Is the one posted at
    >http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...1770&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=401770
    >a good one?

    The above is a patch cord.

    >I went through the link at http://www.ehow.com/how_2104278_pick-fiber-optic-service.html
    >and http://www.ehow.com/how_2146003_choose-fiber-optic-modem.html but
    >would appreciate more input.

    That's about picking a ISP, whick may have more to do with which
    grographical area they cover or what you require as a business in terms
    of service/support.

    OTOH, use the 1 PC as your gateway , install a 2nd NIC and take that out
    to an ethernet switch.

    >Thanks a lot.

    www.google.com , look for reviews or fiber router , remember to insert
    ISP name :)

    You get something like
    Results 1 - 10 of about 584,000 for
    fiber optic router
    .. (0.45 seconds)

    http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,890,000 for
    verizon fios installation
    .. (0.25 seconds)

    Photos: Verizon FiOS installation step by step | ZDNet Photo Gallery
    Verizon's FiOS Internet and TV service has the potential to be a threat
    to cable broadband service providers. The main appeal of FiOS is a fiber
    optic line ...
    http://content.zdnet.com/2346-10532_22-94435.html - Cached - Similar
    #
    Verizon | FiOS Internet (High-Speed Fiber-Optic Broadband Internet)
    First Month Free online offer requires installation of new FiOS service.
    Free activation ($49.99 value) offer is for new Verizon FiOS customers
    ordering ...
    http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Fiosinternet/ - Cached - Similar
    #
    My big-fat, six-hour Verizon FiOS installation - Computerworld Blogs
    Six hours. Yes, six hours to install FiOS in my home, but the service
    opened up my Internet bandwidth significantly, and I liked the cable
    television ...
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/my_experience_with_verizons_fios_installation
    - Cached - Similar
    #
    Photos of Verizon Fios Fiber Broadband Install, part 1 « Josh ...
    17 Jan 2006 ... Great description w/ photos of a Verizon FIOS install! -
    Tampa HDTV ... Verizon FiOS Installation & Hardware - Master Topic! ...
    www.tinyscreenfuls.com/.../photos-of-verizon-fios-fiber-broadband-install-part-1/
    - Cached - Similar
    #
    Verizon FIOS installation in South Jersey | Cherry Hill
    Verizon FIOS installation in South Jersey. Richard Young, Verizon
    statewide spokesman, said Verizon is now offering (Verizon FIOS service
    for television, ...
    http://cherryhill.injersey.com/.../verizon-fios-installation-in-south-jersey/
    - Cached - Similar
    #
    Verizon FiOS - Installation Completed on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Verizon FiOS - Installation Completed Overall the FiOS Install was
    problem free. Other than a slight kink in the Telephone Wiring which was
    quickly ...
    www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/444423936/ - Cached - Similar

    So as it's a office, where do I send my bill for this?

    Me
    why?, Sep 12, 2009

  3. s

    s Guest

    On Sep 11, 3:13 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > s wrote:
    > > One room in our office has a single port(I guess it is a fiber optic
    > > port as a fiber optic cable comes out of it which connects to the
    > > computer allowing the computer to access the Internet). But, now only
    > > one computer can connect to the Internet using that port through a
    > > fiber optic cable. I reckon using a fiber optic router(just like a
    > > Ethernet router) more than one machine can connect to the Internet if
    > > we hook the fiber optic cable from the outlet to the router and then
    > > from the router to the machines we want to connect.

    > > Is my understanding is correct and which Fiber Optic Router is
    > > recommendable? Is a

    > > What is the price range for that? Is the one posted at
    > >http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=401770&oe....
    > > a good one?

    > > I went through the link athttp://www.ehow.com/how_2104278_pick-fiber-optic-service.html
    > > andhttp://www.ehow.com/how_2146003_choose-fiber-optic-modem.htmlbut
    > > would appreciate more input.

    > If it is fiber, more than likely you can use a plain jane router and
    > just plug the fiber into the WAN port, run ethernet from the other ports
    > to computers. But a quick call to the tech support of your provider will
    > put you on the right path.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks, the tech support told me this. There is one outlet which is
    activated in one room. So, there is only one cable coming out of it
    which goes to a machine. If I want to connect more machines, I have to
    get more outlets/ports activated. Each new port/outlet costs 125$
    which is what they suggest. Problem is I don't know nearly enough
    about Fiber Optic. If it was a Ethernet, I know switches, routers
    exist. I just don't know if the same will apply to Fiber optic. I
    guess it should as Fiber Optic is similar to Ethernet, only it is new,
    uses light instead of electric signals(which Ethernet does). Instead
    of a plain jane Netgear router I can use a switch also for plugging
    the fiber into the WAN port, run ethernet cable fromt the switch to
    other machines? Can you please clarify?
    s, Sep 12, 2009
  4. s

    s Guest

    On Sep 12, 8:03 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:58:29 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:
    > >One room in our office has a single port(I guess it is a fiber optic

    > Office, simple solution ISP / connection supplier you ask them.

    Thanks, the tech support of our organization told me this. There is
    one outlet which is activated in one room. So, there is only one cable
    coming out of it which goes to a machine. If I want to connect more
    machines, I have to get more outlets/ports activated. Each new port/
    outlet costs 125$ which is what they suggest. They get a fee for each
    new outlet that is activated so they don't want me to point to other
    solutions.

    > >port as a fiber optic cable comes out of it which connects to the

    > It should be easy to tell it's fiber - cables or connectors.

    > LC/ST fiberhttp://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/FDLCST-2M_LR.jpg

    Yes, it is a fiber cable as shown in the above link.

    > ST/SThttp://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/FIBSTST1.large.jpg
    > LC/SChttp://www.ace-plus.com/product/cisco/cab_mmf_sc_lc.jpg
    >
    > >computer allowing the computer to access the Internet). But, now only

    > That's an expensive connection, fiber to a PC. Extreme overkill.
    >
    > >one computer can connect to the Internet using that port through a
    > >fiber optic cable. I reckon using a fiber optic router(just like a
    > >Ethernet router) more than one machine can connect to the Internet if

    > As long as the router / ISP allows multiple addresses / PCs.

    > >we hook the fiber optic cable from the outlet to the router and then
    > >from the router to the machines we want to connect.

    > If the ISP supports multiple address, although you may have to pay. It
    > may be easier then, you simply buy a multiport switch with a fiber
    > uplink port.

    Thanks, which multiport switch would you recommend? What are the
    features I should
    look for? What is approximate price for a switch which can connect 5
    machines in one room.

    I know a Netgear swich for Ethernet connection should cost around 40$.

    > Places like Cisco will have fiber/ethernet routers. As well as other
    > vendors.
    >
    > >Is my understanding is correct and which Fiber Optic Router is
    > >recommendable? Is a

    > You ISP has nothing to say, about what kit can be connected?

    My ISP wants me to activate another port so that they get a fee from
    the 125 we pay for the port
    activation. So, I need to search solutions on my own.

    > >What is the price range for that? Is the one posted at
    > >http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=401770&oe....
    > >a good one?

    > The above is a patch cord.
    >
    > >I went through the link athttp://www.ehow.com/how_2104278_pick-fiber-optic-service.html
    > >andhttp://www.ehow.com/how_2146003_choose-fiber-optic-modem.htmlbut
    > >would appreciate more input.

    > That's about picking a ISP, whick may have more to do with which
    > grographical area they cover or what you require as a business in terms
    > of service/support.

    > OTOH, use the 1 PC as your gateway , install a 2nd NIC and take that out
    > to an ethernet switch.

    Yes, but we don't want to block that PC just to be used as a gateway.
    I know the machine can
    be used, but in needs to be on for other computers to access the
    Internet which is what
    we want to avoid.

    > >Thanks a lot.

    > www.google.com, look for reviews or fiber router , remember to insert
    > ISP name :)

    Thanks, ISP won't help.

    > You get something like
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 584,000 for
    > fiber optic router
    > . (0.45 seconds)
    >
    > http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 2,890,000 for
    > verizon fios installation
    > . (0.25 seconds)
    >
    > Photos: Verizon FiOS installation step by step | ZDNet Photo Gallery
    > Verizon's FiOS Internet and TV service has the potential to be a threat
    > to cable broadband service providers. The main appeal of FiOS is a fiber
    > optic line ...http://content.zdnet.com/2346-10532_22-94435.html- Cached - Similar
    > #
    > Verizon | FiOS Internet (High-Speed Fiber-Optic Broadband Internet)
    > First Month Free online offer requires installation of new FiOS service.
    > Free activation ($49.99 value) offer is for new Verizon FiOS customers
    > ordering ...http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Fiosinternet/- Cached - Similar
    > #
    > My big-fat, six-hour Verizon FiOS installation - Computerworld Blogs
    > Six hours. Yes, six hours to install FiOS in my home, but the service
    > opened up my Internet bandwidth significantly, and I liked the cable
    > television ...http://blogs.computerworld.com/my_experience_with_verizons_fios_insta...
    > - Cached - Similar
    > #
    > Photos of Verizon Fios Fiber Broadband Install, part 1 « Josh ...
    > 17 Jan 2006 ... Great description w/ photos of a Verizon FIOS install! -
    > Tampa HDTV ... Verizon FiOS Installation & Hardware - Master Topic! ...www.tinyscreenfuls.com/.../photos-of-verizon-fios-fiber-broadband-ins...
    > - Cached - Similar
    > #
    > Verizon FIOS installation in South Jersey | Cherry Hill
    > Verizon FIOS installation in South Jersey. Richard Young, Verizon
    > statewide spokesman, said Verizon is now offering (Verizon FIOS service
    > for television, ...http://cherryhill.injersey.com/.../verizon-fios-installation-in-south...
    > - Cached - Similar
    > #
    > Verizon FiOS - Installation Completed on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    > Verizon FiOS - Installation Completed Overall the FiOS Install was
    > problem free. Other than a slight kink in the Telephone Wiring which was
    > quickly ...www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/444423936/- Cached - Similar
    >
    > So as it's a office, where do I send my bill for this?

    The issue is there is one IT department within our organization which
    provides all IT service/support to different
    departments/offices. They want us to pay 125$ for getting a new port
    activated. They don't suggest
    other options.
    Thanks a lot. I can only offer my thanks, -:)
    s, Sep 12, 2009
  5. s

    On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:47:48 -0700, Steve wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...

    >> > Office, simple solution ISP / connection supplier you ask them.

    >> Thanks, the tech support of our organization told me this. There is
    >> one outlet which is activated in one room. So, there is only one cable

    <snip>

    >> The issue is there is one IT department within our organization which
    >> provides all IT service/support to different
    >> departments/offices. They want us to pay 125$ for getting a new port
    >> activated. They don't suggest
    >> other options.
    >> Thanks a lot. I can only offer my thanks, -:)
    >> > Me

    >So who gets fired when this lashup compromises company security?

    The person that changed something. Perhaps I didn't put in enough.
    Contact the ISP / IT dept. I wasn't sure if there should be 2 or 5 or
    more reminders?

    Although the OP didn't mention an IT dept initially. If he did you would
    know what I would have said.

    In fact this is just the sort of half-assed [abuse report on the way :)
    ] the lusers at my place try. The number of emails my security dept,
    thiers and both management teams have been sent have been more frequent
    the last few months. Something about the time of year? I don't know.

    I am fair about it there is the permanent idiot luser list and the
    rotating one.

    Me

    Me
    why?, Sep 13, 2009
  6. s

    On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:13:18 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:

    >On Sep 12, 8:03 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:58:29 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:
    >> >One room in our office has a single port(I guess it is a fiber optic

    >> Office, simple solution ISP / connection supplier you ask them.

    >Thanks, the tech support of our organization told me this. There is

    Makes sense and you didn't mention you had tech support locally before.

    Then my only recomendation is do it offically and correctly, ignore the
    earlier comments.

    >one outlet which is activated in one room. So, there is only one cable
    >coming out of it which goes to a machine. If I want to connect more
    >machines, I have to get more outlets/ports activated. Each new port/
    >outlet costs 125$ which is what they suggest. They get a fee for each
    >new outlet that is activated so they don't want me to point to other
    >solutions.

    Sounds normal.

    <snip>

    >> If the ISP supports multiple address, although you may have to pay. It
    >> may be easier then, you simply buy a multiport switch with a fiber
    >> uplink port.

    >Thanks, which multiport switch would you recommend? What are the
    >features I should
    >look for? What is approximate price for a switch which can connect 5
    >machines in one room.

    None now. If you can't afford the $125 then a Cisco router for
    fiber/ethernet with NAT/DHCP isn't in your budget.

    <snip>
    >activation. So, I need to search solutions on my own.

    Not correct.

    <snip>

    >> OTOH, use the 1 PC as your gateway , install a 2nd NIC and take that out
    >> to an ethernet switch.

    >Yes, but we don't want to block that PC just to be used as a gateway.
    >I know the machine can
    >be used, but in needs to be on for other computers to access the
    >Internet which is what
    >we want to avoid.

    Well it works, less likely to be an invalid configuration, and less
    expensive so far. Oh right another condition.

    >> >Thanks a lot.

    YW.

    <snip>

    >> So as it's a office, where do I send my bill for this?

    >The issue is there is one IT department within our organization which
    >provides all IT service/support to different

    Sounds good, they know what's what.

    >departments/offices. They want us to pay 125$ for getting a new port
    >activated. They don't suggest
    >other options.

    Not a cheaper ethernet port which will take a basic router.

    >Thanks a lot. I can only offer my thanks, -:)
    >> Me

    Me
    why?, Sep 13, 2009
  7. s

    s Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:13:18 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:

    > >> Office, simple solution ISP / connection supplier you ask them.

    > >Thanks, the tech support of our organization told me this. There is

    > Makes sense and you didn't mention you had tech support locally before.

    Yes, because they just want us to charge 125/port and if we need
    Internet for five machines in one room, it is 500 for four additional
    ports and that is for only one room. For two such rooms it is 1000.
    Beneficial for them if we pay 125/port, not for our office

    > Then my only recomendation is do it offically and correctly, ignore the
    > earlier comments.

    Let's put it this way. For example, Comcast offers a rental cable
    modem for 3$/month in my area. A customer can get a new Motorola modem
    for 10$ after the mail in rebates, if he is getting a new comcast
    connection(there is a promotion going on) and the 10$ is only for
    taxes. Customer has two choices. Get the modem through Comcast for 3$/
    month or just buy it for 10$. Similarly, we can pay the IT dept 125
    for each new port or buy a multiport switch with fiber uplink port.
    Which one should I choose?

    > >one outlet which is activated in one room. So, there is only one cable
    > >coming out of it which goes to a machine. If I want to connect more
    > >machines, I have to get more outlets/ports activated. Each new port/
    > >outlet costs 125$ which is what they suggest. They get a fee for each
    > >new outlet that is activated so they don't want me to point to other
    > >solutions.

    > Sounds normal.

    Yes, but somewhat expensive for us, as I mentioned above.

    > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> If the ISP supports multiple address, although you may have to pay. It
    > >> may be easier then, you simply buy a multiport switch with a fiber
    > >> uplink port.

    > >Thanks, which multiport switch would you recommend? What are the
    > >features I should
    > >look for? What is approximate price for a switch which can connect 5
    > >machines in one room.

    > None now. If you can't afford the $125 then a Cisco router for
    > fiber/ethernet with NAT/DHCP isn't in your budget.

    Ok, a media converter costs some 70 as shown in
    http://fiberopticcables.stores.yahoo.net/mu10meco1.html
    They suggest we need two, though why we need two i cannot understand.
    So, the cost is two, then adding another 50 for a switch the total is
    about 200. Still, less than 500 for a room which we need to pay the IT
    dept for getting Internet access to five machines in a room. Did I
    understand correctly that using that media converter and a switch I
    could convert the fiber optic connection to Ehternet. If not, please
    clarify.

    > <snip>
    > >activation. So, I need to search solutions on my own.

    > Not correct.

    Still, not correct?

    > >The issue is there is one IT department within our organization which
    > >provides all IT service/support to different

    > Sounds good, they know what's what.

    Yes, but their solutions are beneficial to their department, not our
    office. Each 125 we pay benefits them, not us.

    Thanks for your time and help.
    s, Sep 13, 2009
  8. s

    On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:00:54 -0700 (PDT), s wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >> >Thanks, the tech support of our organization told me this. There is

    >> Makes sense and you didn't mention you had tech support locally before.

    >Yes, because they just want us to charge 125/port and if we need
    >Internet for five machines in one room, it is 500 for four additional
    >ports and that is for only one room. For two such rooms it is 1000.
    >Beneficial for them if we pay 125/port, not for our office
    >
    >> Then my only recomendation is do it offically and correctly, ignore the
    >> earlier comments.

    <snip>

    >Ok, a media converter costs some 70 as shown in
    >http://fiberopticcables.stores.yahoo.net/mu10meco1.html
    >They suggest we need two, though why we need two i cannot understand.

    2 generally to extend RJ45 > fiber > RJ45. Whick I do a lot for taking
    broadband to multiple areas or in test chamber where copper cables can't
    enter the chamber.

    You would have to know what you fiber outlet is, SM/MM in any case. Your
    IT support will know.

    >So, the cost is two, then adding another 50 for a switch the total is
    >about 200. Still, less than 500 for a room which we need to pay the IT
    >dept for getting Internet access to five machines in a room. Did I
    >understand correctly that using that media converter and a switch I
    >could convert the fiber optic connection to Ehternet. If not, please
    >clarify.

    Converting media is 1 part of it. If your link only supports 1 IP
    address then you need some form of NAT router to convert 1 IP address
    into many. That's a question for the IT support. We monitor IPs and MAC
    addresses on ports, so if it changes that's another offence.

    When people do this at my place emails are fired off to management and
    security for sheer stupidity. Then of course they bring the lan down
    several times a year or complain the router they bought is causing
    problems.

    All I suggest is you put any alternatives to IT support. Some times we
    will agree.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 14, 2009