    my PCs.

    I am wondering if there is any way to connect this to my laptop that does
    not have a network card. It has USB and COM ports.

    Sam, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Sam wrote:
    > I have a SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband router that works perfectly with
    > my PCs.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is any way to connect this to my laptop that does
    > not have a network card. It has USB and COM ports.

    Buy a $50 usb NIC?

    Sooky Grumper, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Sam <> wrote in message

    > I have a SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband
    > router that works perfectly with my PCs.

    > I am wondering if there is any way to connect this to my laptop
    > that does not have a network card. It has USB and COM ports.

    One obvious approach is to buy a network card for it.
    They arent that expensive on ebay.

    Or just get a usb/ethernet adapter. They aint expensive either.

    The NIC for the laptop would normally be a bit tidier, but not
    that much since the usb/ethernet box can stay with the router.

    Rod Speed, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    what is a NIC?

    Sam, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Sam wrote:
    > what is a NIC?

    Network Interface Card. I had a laptop here a few weeks ago that I
    needed to connect to my network and it didn't have an ethernet port, but
    it did have USB. I went to my friendly neighbourhood computer shop and
    bought a USB network card, installed the drivers and such, and away I
    went. The usb network card cost $59.

    Sooky Grumper, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thaks for the tip. I will give it a shot

    Sam, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I checked on the NIC and it costs $100. The whole laptop only cost $350 so I
    can't see this as a good option unless there is no better one.

    Sam, Dec 13, 2003
  8. Sam wrote:
    > I checked on the NIC and it costs $100. The whole laptop only cost $350 so I
    > can't see this as a good option unless there is no better one.

    LOL! Where on earth did you get that price from?

    I bought mine at www.ple.com.au for $59 and it's even USB 2.0. I'm sure
    I could find one even cheaper. In fact, I just did, for only $44:

    http://www.eyo.com.au/details_M-UE202.html

    Another option might be a direct usb to usb connection from the laptop
    to another computer on your network. Still a third option might be to
    connect it to another computer on your network via the com port. I'm
    afraid I've never had the experience of implementing either of these
    solutions. :-(

    Sooky Grumper, Dec 13, 2003
  9. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Sam <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I checked on the NIC and it costs $100.

    Not if you get it off ebay.

    > The whole laptop only cost $350 so I can't see
    > this as a good option unless there is no better one.

    The better one is to get the NIC off ebay.

    I prefer these myself, mainly because there is no
    fiddly dongle, you plug the cable straight into it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3446708258&category=3710

    Need a bit of care to get the right one tho, which laptop ?

    Rod Speed, Dec 13, 2003
  10. Sam

    Leon. Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > I have a SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband router that works perfectly

    with
    > my PCs.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is any way to connect this to my laptop that does
    > not have a network card. It has USB and COM ports.

    You can get PCMCIA ethernet cards if you dont want to do the USB thing.

    COM ports cant handle ethernet. There were parallel port ethernet devices -
    only useful for 10mhz ethernet, and quite slow at it ...

    Leon., Dec 14, 2003
  11. Leon. wrote:
    > "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband router that works perfectly

    > with
    >
    >>my PCs.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if there is any way to connect this to my laptop that does
    >>not have a network card. It has USB and COM ports.

    > You can get PCMCIA ethernet cards if you dont want to do the USB thing.

    They're generally 20% more expensive than USB network adapters.

    Sooky Grumper, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks. I picked up a PCMCIA ethernet card and it has done the job nicely.

    Sam, Dec 15, 2003