    with RJ45 connectors.

    How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?

    thanks

    Nutter, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Nutter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Nutter said:

    > Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    > data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but it
    > is too slow.
    >

    > Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1 meter
    > with RJ45 connectors.
    >
    > How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?
    >
    > thanks

    Could you take one drive out and place it in the other?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Nutter

    philo Guest

    "Nutter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    > data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but

    it
    > is too slow.
    >

    > Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1

    meter
    > with RJ45 connectors.
    >
    > How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?
    >
    > thanks

    if you network the machines without a hub
    you will need a "cross-over" cable

    also there are commercially avail USB data transfer cables

    philo, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Nutter

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:00:21 +0100, Nutter wrote:

    >Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    >data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but it
    >is too slow.
    >

    >Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1 meter
    >with RJ45 connectors.

    The cable you need to connect 2 PCs directly is a crossover cable. A
    crossover connects the receive/transmit together.

    If you only have a patch cable, go buy a crossover cable. Otherwise you
    need a hub or switch and another patch cable.

    Difference between patch and crossover cable pin connections.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

    >How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    It means I need CROSSOVER cable. and UTP won't work.
    thanks

    Nutter, Sep 25, 2003
  6. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    Don't be ME :)
    Like I did not know that. huh

    Nutter, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Nutter

    misnomer Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:00:21 +0100, Nutter wrote:

    > Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    > data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but it
    > is too slow.
    >

    > Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1 meter
    > with RJ45 connectors.
    >
    > How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?
    >
    > thanks

    Make a cross over cable. All you have to do is take the cable you made
    already cut one end off and wire it the opposite of the other side. Then
    you will be able to see both computers. Wel actually you will need to set
    an ip for each machine. Something like.

    Machine A: 192.168.0.1
    NetMask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Machine B: 192.168.0.2

    Also make sure both machines are on the same work group to assure ease of
    use. And note the computer names if you don't know the computer names
    just goto my computer and where it says address type

    "\\192.168.0.1" if your on machine B and "\\192.168.0.2" if your on
    machine A

    Let me know if this helps

    -misno

    --
    irc.theibox.org #theibox www.theibox.org

    misnomer, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    thanks
    I have saved your instruction for future. ie I am going to buy a crossover
    cable first.

    Nutter, Sep 25, 2003
  9. misnomer wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:00:21 +0100, Nutter wrote:

    >> Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    >> data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but it
    >> is too slow.

    >> Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1 meter
    >> with RJ45 connectors.

    >> How Can I make a connection with cat-5 UTP via network cards?

    > Make a cross over cable. All you have to do is take the cable you made
    > already cut one end off and wire it the opposite of the other side. Then

    Nutter, it's not quite like that. See why?s post for what actually gets
    reversed and what doesn't:

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Nutter

    misnomer Guest

    Sounds good. Sorry if I misunderstood I thought you had already created
    the cable or I would have included a link to a good cross over cable. Well
    one with a good price. If you have a local computer shop they should be
    able to make one for cheap. Big stores tend to rip you off on these.

    --

    irc.theibox.org #theibox
    www.theibox.org

    misnomer, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Nutter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Nutter said:

    > Don't be ME :)
    > Like I did not know that. huh

    Just that it would be a lot simpler and cheaper if it were possible for you to
    take that path.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Nutter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Nutter said:
    >
    >> Don't be ME :)
    >> Like I did not know that. huh

    > Just that it would be a lot simpler and cheaper if it were possible for you to
    > take that path.

    And faster, like 10MBps

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  13. Nutter

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:01:09 -0400, misnomer wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:00:21 +0100, Nutter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I want to connect 2 PC so I can tranfer about 16GB
    >> data quickly. I have tried Direct cable connection via Parallel port but it
    >> is too slow.
    >>

    >> Now I have network cards on both machines and cat-5 UTP cable about 1 meter
    >> with RJ45 connectors.

    <snip>

    >Make a cross over cable. All you have to do is take the cable you made
    >already cut one end off and wire it the opposite of the other side. Then

    Made what cable?

    >you will be able to see both computers. Wel actually you will need to set
    >an ip for each machine. Something like.

    <snip>

    Wrong, it's not the opposite. Pin 1 - 3 is swapped and pin 2 - 6 is
    swapped. Pins 4,5,7 and 8 connect to 4,5,7 and 8.

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    let me explain it then. As PC A is connected to internet and pc B is for
    private use and backup etc with large storage. you know what i mean. I do
    not want pc B to access to/from internet but in contect with pc A to share
    Just one Drive for file exchange.
    thanks

    Nutter, Sep 26, 2003
  15. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    yeah you are right about the BIG stores.
    There is a computer fair/market this sunday in our town. I am sure will get
    hold of a cheapist cable about £2.

    Nutter, Sep 26, 2003
  16. Nutter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Nutter said:

    > let me explain it then. As PC A is connected to internet and pc B is for
    > private use and backup etc with large storage. you know what i mean. I do
    > not want pc B to access to/from internet but in contect with pc A to share
    > Just one Drive for file exchange.
    > thanks

    Your OP said you wanted to transfer 16GB, you did not say that you wanted to
    create a network environment.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 26, 2003
  17. Nutter

    Nutter Guest

    HI MIsnomer
    I am just leting you know.
    The network is working fine and excelent.
    I have set it up today and tranferd alot of files.
    Could you tell me what is the price transfer speed via crossover cable?
    thanks for your help anyway.

    Nutter, Sep 28, 2003