Connecting DLink ADSL modem with LinkSys router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by proficient@gmail.com, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop running
    Wndows XP, the following way:
    1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically
    2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
    3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
    eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.

    However, it works fine.

    Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
    router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
    following settings;
    1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
    2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i changed
    it to .2)
    3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.

    IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
    the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
    Please Help.
    Thank you.

    , Jun 26, 2006

  2. Gordon Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop running
    > Wndows XP, the following way:
    > 1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
    > 3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
    > eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.
    >
    > However, it works fine.
    >
    > Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
    > router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
    > following settings;
    > 1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i changed
    > it to .2)
    > 3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.
    >
    > IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
    > the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
    > Please Help.
    > Thank you.

    ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    modem.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

    Gordon, Jun 26, 2006

  3. philo Guest

    <snip>

    > ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    > ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    > modem.

    it's the other way around.

    the modem goes to the line...
    then the modem connects to the router...

    then the routers connect to the computers

    philo, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Gordon Guest

    philo wrote:

    > it's the other way around.
    >
    > the modem goes to the line...
    > then the modem connects to the router...
    >

    > then the routers connect to the computers

    Not on my system - I don't HAVE a separate modem - the router just plugs
    straight into the ADSL line.......

    Gordon, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thank guys for your reply. In my case, Philo is right. The phone line
    goes into the modem and then modem is connected to the router via
    ethernet port. Please let me know if there is a way i can get it to
    work. Thank you.

  6. Al Pilarcik Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop
    > running Wndows XP, the following way:
    > 1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically ***
    > 2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
    > 3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
    > eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.
    >
    > However, it works fine.
    >
    > Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
    > router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
    > following settings;
    > 1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i
    > changed it to .2)
    > 3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.
    >
    > IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
    > the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
    > Please Help.
    > Thank you.

    ***

    Use PPPoE. Enter the username and password. Save settings. Try connecting.

    Al Pilarcik, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-26, <> wrote:
    > I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop running
    > Wndows XP, the following way:
    > 1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
    > 3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
    > eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.
    >
    > However, it works fine.
    >
    > Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
    > router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
    > following settings;
    > 1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i changed
    > it to .2)
    > 3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.
    >
    > IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
    > the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
    > Please Help.
    > Thank you.

    Are the router and the modem both trying to run as 'DHCP servers'? If the
    router has an option to work as an 'access point only' try that.

    Turn on the modem first, and let it settle down and show that it has an
    internet connection. Then turn on the router and let it settle down. You
    may have to reset the router to 'factory defaults' by pressing the reset
    button, to clear whatever settings it has at present. When the modem and
    the router are settled down, start the computer.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Joel Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually
    > is a ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't
    > need the modem.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you fuckwit pillock retard.

    Joel, Jun 26, 2006
  9. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thank guys for your reply. In my case, Philo is right. The phone line
    > goes into the modem and then modem is connected to the router via
    > ethernet port. Please let me know if there is a way i can get it to
    > work. Thank you.
    > Gordon wrote:
    > > philo wrote:

    Check with your ISP...

    the modem very probably needs specific settings...

    as far as the router is concerned...the default settings should usually work

    philo, Jun 26, 2006
  10. Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    > ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    > modem.

    Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my ADSL
    modem.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I used to like political jokes until so many of them got elected.

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 26, 2006
  11. Gordon Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    >> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    >> modem.
    >>

    > Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my ADSL
    > modem.

    Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

    Gordon, Jun 26, 2006
  12. Seatoller Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:45:46 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> snip
    >>>
    >>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    >>> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    >>> modem.
    >>>

    >> Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my ADSL
    >> modem.
    >>

    > Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

    Mine's a combined Draytek router/modem.

    Seatoller, Jun 26, 2006
  13. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop running
    > Wndows XP, the following way:
    > 1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
    > 3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
    > eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.
    >
    > However, it works fine.
    >
    > Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
    > router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
    > following settings;
    > 1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
    > 2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i changed
    > it to .2)
    > 3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.
    >
    > IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
    > the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
    > Please Help.
    > Thank you.

    Change the IP of the Linksys to 192.168.y.1 where y is 0, or between
    2 and 255 inclusive.

    Restart the router.

    Release and renew the IP on your PC.

    That SHOULD take care of it.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 27, 2006
  14. Howdy!

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:

    > ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    > ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    > modem.

    This be big news to a hella lot of folks.

    Unless you mean a router/modem combo - which is what most of the UK
    vendors sell.

    On this side of the pond, the modem is one, the router the other,
    unless the ISP supplies a combo unit.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 27, 2006
  15. Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> snip
    >>>
    >>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually
    >>> is a ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't
    >>> need the modem.
    >>>

    >> Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my
    >> ADSL modem.
    >>

    > Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

    Because it's a combination router/modem.

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 27, 2006
  16. Gordon Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> wrote:

    >> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
    >> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
    >> modem.

    > This be big news to a hella lot of folks.
    >
    > Unless you mean a router/modem combo - which is what most of the
    > UK
    > vendors sell.
    >
    > On this side of the pond, the modem is one, the router the other,
    > unless the ISP supplies a combo unit.
    >
    > RwP

    A people split asunder with common IT components!

    Gordon, Jun 27, 2006