    down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.
    Emrys Davies, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Emrys Davies

    DC Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
    > connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
    > down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

    That is correct. They are "hot-pluggable". It's one of the advantages
    of USB over older parallel connectors.

    If you don't wish to take my work for it, Google on the above.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    -- Neil Peart
    DC, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Emrys Davies

    DC Guest

    DC wrote:
    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    >> I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
    >> connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
    >> down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

    > That is correct. They are "hot-pluggable". It's one of the advantages
    > of USB over older parallel connectors.

    > If you don't wish to take my work for it, Google on the above.

    <piggyback> Oink.

    Er, I meant "take my *word* for it. I'd like to keep my job, at least
    until X-Mas, thank you. *<}:O)

    DC, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Emrys Davies

    willshak Guest

    On 11/20/2004 9:46 AM US(ET), Emrys Davies took fingers to keys, and
    typed the following:

    >I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
    >connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
    >down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Emrys Davies.

    I have no problem connecting and disconnecting USB cables from my XP
    Home computer while it is running. As a matter of fact, I have to do it
    constantly with my graphics tablet's USB 2 plug whenever the computer
    comes back on from Standby mode. After coming back, the tablet's power
    is not restored and I have to remove the USB cable and plug it back in,
    which then turns on the tablet.
    willshak, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Emrys Davies

    Jerry G. Guest

    USB:
    The design of the USB and Firewire ports were so that things can be
    hot-swappable. USB was made in order to be able to add and remove devices
    while everything is in operation. This is the same for the Ethernet port as
    well.

    Other Ports:
    As for the parallel and serial ports, it is not advisable to remove these
    while the power is on. But, if the serial port is using only the basic RX /
    TX connections, and not anything else, then it can also be disconnected and
    re-connected while the computer is running. As for the parallel and serial
    ports, it is best to have everything turned off when making or breaking
    their connections.

    Others:
    As for the monitor, it is best to turn everything off when making or
    breaking the connections. But, when doing so, most likely there will be no
    damage. As for the Mouse and keyboard, since these are on a PS2 type
    connection, if you they are connected or disconnected when the power is on,
    damage to the mother board, and these devices can easily occur.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 20, 2004
  6. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Thanks everyone. What a good forum. I had failed to find the answer on
    Google, but Jerry's 'Hot-Swappable' remark has led me to what I had
    failed to find.

    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/hotswapp.htm

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Emrys Davies

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "willshak" <> wrote in message
    | On 11/20/2004 9:46 AM US(ET), Emrys Davies took fingers to keys, and
    | typed the following:
    |
    | >I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
    | >connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
    | >down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
    | >
    | >Thanks,
    | >Emrys Davies.
    | >
    | I have no problem connecting and disconnecting USB cables from my XP
    | Home computer while it is running. As a matter of fact, I have to do it
    | constantly with my graphics tablet's USB 2 plug whenever the computer
    | comes back on from Standby mode. After coming back, the tablet's power
    | is not restored and I have to remove the USB cable and plug it back in,
    | which then turns on the tablet.

    I get that with my Logitech wireless mouse sometimes too. What a pain <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Emrys Davies

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Emrys, one more *critical* thing to remember: just because USB is
    "hot-swappable" it is NOT NOT NOT a good idea to just jerk the USB cable out
    of the computer. Learn about your specific device - read the manual.
    Specifically, the USB hard drives, memory cards, cameras, etc., require that
    you disable/remove them correctly or you could damage that data, and even
    the hardware.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004