    Both of these routers have a 56k 4 wire card in them and basically I'm just
    trying to see maybe if there is a cable I can build myself to connect via
    the 56K/64K cards. Apprecaite any response.

    Lowell, Oct 21, 2003

  2. In article <pqhlb.1436$>,
    Lowell <> wrote:
    :Want to know if I can connect two routers to simulate a WAN connection.
    :Both of these routers have a 56k 4 wire card in them and basically I'm just
    :trying to see maybe if there is a cable I can build myself to connect via
    :the 56K/64K cards. Apprecaite any response.

    This gets asked every couple of days. Please search groups.google.com
    group:comp.dcom.sys.cisco . Keywords that might work are "back-to-back".
    --
    Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
    Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

    Walter Roberson, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Lowell

    lars Guest

    Hi Walter,

    With the T1/FT1 card I was able to get one side to clock with an
    internal jumper.

    I'm not sure about the 56K, but I'd assume you could, as it's a DSU/CSU.
    Look for a jumper
    near the clock chip, which will be a silver box with the frequency on
    it. It might say 56K, 56000,
    or it might be a multiple (i.e. 112K, 112000, or 168K, 168000, 1.6 ,
    the units will be KHz, MHz)
    As far as the cable, the T1/FT1 needed a "crossover". But not an
    ethernet crossover. Basically
    I looked up what the pinout was, cut a 3 foot straight through cable
    that you cut in the middle. Make
    the transmit and receive pairs reversed on one side. So for the T1/FT1
    this was 2,3 to 4,6.

    Look up the correct pinouts on the cisco web site.

    Keep in mind, the T1/FT1 was only able to clock to the max speed, one
    can not set the "clock rate"
    as one can on a true DCE device, and both sides believe they were the
    DTE in the conversation.

    That's OK for my application, it may not be for yours.

    Let us know how it works...or send me 2 of the cards and I'll fix it up
    for you!

    Cheers,

    Lars

    lars, Oct 22, 2003