Connecting but unable to browse

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pendraig, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. Pendraig

    Pendraig Guest

    Greetings,

    Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which in
    turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.

    Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    'excellent' signal strength. Unfortunately, however, I'm totally unable to
    browse!

    Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    address automatically ... never worked. Set the IP address, subnet mask,
    default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:

    IP: 192.168.2.5
    SM: 255.255.255.0
    DG: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP: 192.168.2.1

    Boom connected, but unable to browse! Obviously I'm doing something wrong
    here. Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?

    Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    --
    Pendraig
    Esse quam videri
    Pendraig, Mar 4, 2008

  2. Pendraig

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 4, 12:10 pm, Pendraig <>
    wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which in
    > turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.
    >
    > Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    > 'excellent' signal strength.  Unfortunately, however, I'm totally unable to
    > browse!
    >
    > Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    > address automatically ... never worked.  Set the IP address, subnet mask,
    > default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:
    >
    > IP:       192.168.2.5
    > SM:     255.255.255.0
    > DG:     192.168.2.1
    > DHCP: 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Boom connected, but unable to browse!  Obviously I'm doing something wrong
    > here.  Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    > proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    > wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    > --
    > Pendraig
    > Esse quam videri

    Wireless networks need to have both the router and wireless adapter to
    "talk" over the same "wave." This is done by setting up an access
    key (WPA) passphrase that will allow the wireless adapter to "link
    up." Once the adapter(s) and the router "sync up" with the same WPA
    passphrase, the router will assign an IP address. If the WPA
    passphrase is not the same, the wireless adapter will still list it is
    connected but it will not have detail on how to "browse" the Internet
    or access "shared" files between PCs.
    smlunatick, Mar 4, 2008

  3. Pendraig

    Pendraig Guest

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Mar 4, 12:10 pm, Pendraig <>
    > wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which in
    > > turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.
    > >
    > > Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    > > 'excellent' signal strength. Unfortunately, however, I'm totally unable to
    > > browse!
    > >
    > > Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    > > address automatically ... never worked. Set the IP address, subnet mask,
    > > default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:
    > >
    > > IP: 192.168.2.5
    > > SM: 255.255.255.0
    > > DG: 192.168.2.1
    > > DHCP: 192.168.2.1
    > >
    > > Boom connected, but unable to browse! Obviously I'm doing something wrong
    > > here. Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    > > proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    > > wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    > > --
    > > Pendraig
    > > Esse quam videri

    > Wireless networks need to have both the router and wireless adapter to
    > "talk" over the same "wave." This is done by setting up an access
    > key (WPA) passphrase that will allow the wireless adapter to "link
    > up." Once the adapter(s) and the router "sync up" with the same WPA
    > passphrase, the router will assign an IP address. If the WPA
    > passphrase is not the same, the wireless adapter will still list it is
    > connected but it will not have detail on how to "browse" the Internet
    > or access "shared" files between PCs.

    Kinda figured this was the case. So if I'm understanding you correctly, I
    need to do the following:

    1. Reset network config settings to obtain an IP address automatically.
    2. Verify the accuracy of the WPA pass-phrase to enable communication.

    That about right?

    --
    Pendraig
    Esse quam videri
    Pendraig, Mar 4, 2008
  4. Pendraig

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 4, 3:35 pm, Pendraig <>
    wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Mar 4, 12:10 pm, Pendraig <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > Greetings,

    > > > Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which in
    > > > turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.

    > > > Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    > > > 'excellent' signal strength.  Unfortunately, however, I'm totally unable to
    > > > browse!

    > > > Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    > > > address automatically ... never worked.  Set the IP address, subnet mask,
    > > > default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:

    > > > IP:       192.168.2.5
    > > > SM:     255.255.255.0
    > > > DG:     192.168.2.1
    > > > DHCP: 192.168.2.1

    > > > Boom connected, but unable to browse!  Obviously I'm doing something wrong
    > > > here.  Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    > > > proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    > > > wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?

    > > > Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    > > > --
    > > > Pendraig
    > > > Esse quam videri

    > > Wireless networks need to have both the router and wireless adapter to
    > > "talk" over  the same "wave."  This is done by setting up an access
    > > key (WPA) passphrase that will allow the wireless adapter to "link
    > > up."  Once the adapter(s) and the router "sync up" with the same WPA
    > > passphrase, the router will assign an IP address.  If the WPA
    > > passphrase is not the same, the wireless adapter will still list it is
    > > connected but it will not have detail on how to "browse" the Internet
    > > or access "shared" files between PCs.

    > Kinda figured this was the case.  So if I'm understanding you correctly, I
    > need to do the following:
    >
    > 1.  Reset network config settings to obtain an IP address automatically.
    > 2.  Verify the accuracy of the WPA pass-phrase to enable communication.
    >
    > That about right?
    >
    > --
    > Pendraig
    > Esse quam videri- Hide quoted text -

    Other steps are:

    1) Connect Ethernet (Rj-45) cable to router and a PC
    2) Acess the router's web pages via "wired" conencted PC. Used to
    check and configure wireless WPA access and pass-phrase. View status
    web page for local "connected" PCs
    smlunatick, Mar 4, 2008
  5. May be this can Help.
    When you are really connected you should be able to type into the Browser
    http://192.168.2.1 and get to the Router menus via Wireless. If you do not
    get to the Router this way you are Not connected.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 5, 2008
  6. Pendraig

    Pendraig Guest

    Yep, can ping the router @ 192.168.2.1 all day long, but sure as $#!%$!@
    can't connect via http://192.168.2.1

    Better yet, password protection has been enabled on the router access page
    and the master of the house\owner doesn't have a clue what it is ...

    Ain't life just great .... <grrr>
    --
    Pendraig
    Esse quam videri

    Pendraig, Mar 5, 2008
  7. Pendraig

    Jim Guest

    "Pendraig" <> wrote in message
    > Yep, can ping the router @ 192.168.2.1 all day long, but sure as $#!%$!@
    > can't connect via http://192.168.2.1
    >
    > Better yet, password protection has been enabled on the router access page
    > and the master of the house\owner doesn't have a clue what it is ...
    >
    > Ain't life just great .... <grrr>
    > --
    > Pendraig
    > Esse quam videri
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> May be this can Help.
    >> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> When you are really connected you should be able to type into the Browser
    >> http://192.168.2.1 and get to the Router menus via Wireless. If you do
    >> not
    >> get to the Router this way you are Not connected.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "Pendraig" <> wrote in message
    >> > Greetings,
    >> >
    >> > Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which
    >> > in
    >> > turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.
    >> >
    >> > Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    >> > 'excellent' signal strength. Unfortunately, however, I'm totally
    >> > unable
    >> > browse!
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    >> > address automatically ... never worked. Set the IP address, subnet
    >> > mask,
    >> > default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:
    >> >
    >> > IP: 192.168.2.5
    >> > SM: 255.255.255.0
    >> > DG: 192.168.2.1
    >> > DHCP: 192.168.2.1
    >> >
    >> > Boom connected, but unable to browse! Obviously I'm doing something
    >> > wrong
    >> > here. Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    >> > proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    >> > wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    >> > --
    >> > Pendraig
    >> > Esse quam videri

    You are still not connected. Being able to ping the router does not mean
    that the keys match.

    You need to reset the router to the factory defaults, because you must login
    to the router to inspect its version of the keys. Until these keys match,
    you will not have a workable networ.

    Jim
    Jim, Mar 5, 2008
  8. Hi
    If the computer can connect to the Router via cable, then the Router can be
    accessed and the Wireless Key can be reconfigured with a new key (that
    should be written on a Big piece of paper ;) ).
    Otherwise, (as posted by Jim) you need to Reset the Router to the Default
    setting and reconfigure every thing from square one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 5, 2008
  9. Pendraig

    Pendraig Guest

    Greetings,

    Had to concede defeat with this particular question :(

    My system connects\browses just fine using a hard-wired connection to the
    router. As I've stated in previous posts, the homeowner doesn't have a clue
    regarding the current router password. True a complete reset to factory
    defaults would solve this issue, but the collateral damage\network disruption
    & necessary reconfiguration is totally unacceptable.

    Final solution: Pay the freight with Cox Commo for an additional cable
    modem. This way my system is *completely* isolated from the rest of the home
    network and problematic router.

    On the upside, my system now has wireless capability (provided wireless
    access is indeed available). Oh well ...

    Thanks for all the responses!
    --
    Pendraig
    Esse quam videri

    Pendraig, Mar 6, 2008
  10. Pendraig

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 6, 12:52 pm, Pendraig <>
    wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Had to concede defeat with this particular question :(
    >
    > My system connects\browses just fine using a hard-wired connection to the
    > router.  As I've stated in previous posts, the homeowner doesn't have a clue
    > regarding the current router password.  True a complete reset to factory
    > defaults would solve this issue, but the collateral damage\network disruption
    > & necessary reconfiguration is totally unacceptable.
    >
    > Final solution:  Pay the freight with Cox Commo for an additional cable
    > modem.  This way my system is *completely* isolated from the rest of the home
    > network and problematic router.
    >
    > On the upside, my system now has wireless capability (provided wireless
    > access is indeed available).  Oh well ...
    >
    > Thanks for all the responses!
    > --
    > Pendraig
    > Esse quam videri
    >

    > "Pendraig" wrote:
    > > Greetings,

    > > Am running Windows XP, SP2 with a Linksys WPN300 Wireless adapter which in
    > > turn 'connects' to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.

    > > Don't have any problems establishing a connection and Windows reports
    > > 'excellent' signal strength.  Unfortunately, however, I'm totally unable to
    > > browse!

    > > Windows XP network configuration was initially set to discover the IP
    > > address automatically ... never worked.  Set the IP address, subnet mask,
    > > default gateway and DHCP servers manually, thus:

    > > IP:       192.168.2.5
    > > SM:     255.255.255.0
    > > DG:     192.168.2.1
    > > DHCP: 192.168.2.1

    > > Boom connected, but unable to browse!  Obviously I'm doing something wrong
    > > here.  Don't think I'd be able to 'speak' with the router *without* the
    > > proper network key ... but shouldn't the router automatically assign my
    > > wireless adapter the proper IP address upon connection?

    > > Thanks in advance for kind assistance received!
    > > --
    > > Pendraig
    > > Esse quam videri- Hide quoted text -

    "....but the collateral damage\network disruption & necessary
    reconfiguration is totally unacceptable. "

    A home user does not run "mission-critical" Internet applications so
    this disruption is not critical. What happens when the router gets
    "xapped?"

    Not certain but be careful on adding a second cable modem. Not sure
    that two cable modems can be on the same entry cable.
    smlunatick, Mar 6, 2008