Connecting an telecom surge protector *after* a ADSL filter BT Faceplate (Long!)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Matthew Long, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. Matthew Long

    Matthew Long Guest

    Hi. I have a Masterplug surge protection with telecom protection. It has
    two inputs - Which are a stantard BT socket, and an RJ11 socket. It then has
    underneath these sockets, an output side, with the BT, and RJ11 sockets.
    It's supplied with a cable with a standard BT plug one end, and a RJ11 the
    other end. I currently have the supplied cable plugged into my BT master
    socket, and then plugged into the RJ11 socket on the surge protector. My
    ADSL filter is plugged into the output side using the standard BT socket.

    It would seem that these BT sockets and RJ11 sockets crossover, but I'm
    fitting an adsl filter faceplate to our main BT socket, so the filter will
    now be before the surge protector. So I will have an RJ11 to RJ11 cable from
    face plate to input side of surge protector, and also a standard BT cable to
    BT, from faceplate to surge protector. Then on the output side, RJ11 to adsl
    Router, and BT Socket to BT phone.

    As my current setup proves that all four sockets are connected together
    because it's going in via RJ11, but crossing over and coming out via BT
    socket, will the filtered adsl / voice cablescoming from the faceplate
    interfere with each other when they're plugged into this surge protector?

    Sorry for long post!

    Cheers,
    Matthew Long

    Matthew Long, Apr 20, 2008

  2. Matthew Long

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Connecting an telecom surge protector *after* a ADSL filter BTFaceplate (Long!)

    On 2008-04-20, Matthew Long <> wrote:

    [...]

    > As my current setup proves that all four sockets are connected together
    > because it's going in via RJ11, but crossing over and coming out via BT
    > socket, will the filtered adsl / voice cablescoming from the faceplate
    > interfere with each other when they're plugged into this surge protector?
    >
    > Sorry for long post!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Matthew Long

    Perhaps Masterplug are the people most likely to know? There's a
    'Helpline' number mentioned here <http://www.masterplug.com/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 20, 2008

  3. Matthew Long

    w_tom Guest

    Re: Connecting an telecom surge protector *after* a ADSL filter BTFaceplate (Long!)

    Not sure you understand what each component does.

    ADSL filter looks like an open (disconnected) wire to ADSL signals.
    Filter's job is to make any other phone appliances (ie telephone) look
    disconnected from DSL wire. ADSL modem must have a copper (direct)
    connection to the CO (DSLAM). If a filter is anywhere between ADSL
    modem and Master Socket (and CO), then DSL signal is blocked; wire
    acts disconnected. If any other telephone appliance is sees a DSL
    signal (not connected via a filter), then DSL signal is diminished or
    shorted out - 'eaten'.

    Conventional phone appliances must connect to phone line only via a
    filter. ADSL modem must connect directly without any filters.

    Connect that RJ-11 connection to the protector. Then connect
    protector to a telephone (a series connection). Or split that RJ-11
    wire so that one wire connects to telephone and other wire connects to
    protector (a parallel connection). Electrically, both are the exact
    same telephone circuit. Do not, for one minute, assume a protector
    blocks surges.

    Protector (like telephone appliances) might 'eat' DSL signals. Does
    yours? Nobody can answer that without manufacturer spec numbers. If
    your protector 'eats' DSL signals, then it must be located after the
    DSL filter - on same side as telephone - away from the Master Socket
    and CO. If your protector has low capacitance (does not eat DSL
    signals), then it is best located as close as possible to the master
    socket.

    Protectors work better when farther separated from protected
    electronics and closer to Master Socket (and earth ground). Separation
    increases protection. But that cannot be accomplished if a protector
    'eats' DSL signals; has too much capacitance.

    w_tom, Apr 21, 2008