connecting adsl modem to wireless router - please help!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by andigrant@gmail.com, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello
    I've read through alot of older postings on this issue, and tried to
    follow their advice, but unfortunately, I'm still totally stuck.

    I have a Dynalink RTA1335 modem, which connects to the broadband using
    PPPoA with no problem at all. I can access the administration of this
    modem and make changes to settings, if only I knew which and
    what.......

    I have a Linksys WAP router, BEFW11S4. The wireless network on this is
    working fine, in that my laptop can see it etc, but the router and the
    modem are not happy talking to each other, and so the router is not
    actually "seeing" the internet.

    I'm pretty sure these two machines "should" work with each other, but
    that I need to get the DHCPservers, LAN and WAN IP adresses, subnet
    masks and gateways all pointing to the right places.

    Can anybody give me a very simple, step by step guide to how to set
    these two up so that the modem sends the internet to the router and the
    router then sends it very nicely out on the
    wireless....................

    thanks in advance!

    Andi

    , Sep 13, 2006

  2. SNOman Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello
    > I've read through alot of older postings on this issue, and tried to
    > follow their advice, but unfortunately, I'm still totally stuck.
    >
    > I have a Dynalink RTA1335 modem, which connects to the broadband using
    > PPPoA with no problem at all. I can access the administration of this
    > modem and make changes to settings, if only I knew which and
    > what.......
    >
    > I have a Linksys WAP router, BEFW11S4. The wireless network on this is
    > working fine, in that my laptop can see it etc, but the router and the
    > modem are not happy talking to each other, and so the router is not
    > actually "seeing" the internet.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure these two machines "should" work with each other, but
    > that I need to get the DHCPservers, LAN and WAN IP adresses, subnet
    > masks and gateways all pointing to the right places.
    >
    > Can anybody give me a very simple, step by step guide to how to set
    > these two up so that the modem sends the internet to the router and the
    > router then sends it very nicely out on the
    > wireless....................
    >
    > thanks in advance!
    >
    > Andi

    In very simple terms, enable DHCP on both devices. Plug the linksys into
    the dynalink. The dynalink connects to the internet fine. It assigns an
    address to the linksys. Anything connecting to the linksys will be able
    to connect out via the dynalink.

    SNOman, Sep 13, 2006

  3. SNOman Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I've read through alot of older postings on this issue, and tried to
    >> follow their advice, but unfortunately, I'm still totally stuck.
    >>
    >> I have a Dynalink RTA1335 modem, which connects to the broadband using
    >> PPPoA with no problem at all. I can access the administration of this
    >> modem and make changes to settings, if only I knew which and
    >> what.......
    >>
    >> I have a Linksys WAP router, BEFW11S4. The wireless network on this is
    >> working fine, in that my laptop can see it etc, but the router and the
    >> modem are not happy talking to each other, and so the router is not
    >> actually "seeing" the internet.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure these two machines "should" work with each other, but
    >> that I need to get the DHCPservers, LAN and WAN IP adresses, subnet
    >> masks and gateways all pointing to the right places.
    >>
    >> Can anybody give me a very simple, step by step guide to how to set
    >> these two up so that the modem sends the internet to the router and the
    >> router then sends it very nicely out on the
    >> wireless....................
    >>
    >> thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> Andi
    >>

    > In very simple terms, enable DHCP on both devices. Plug the linksys into
    > the dynalink. The dynalink connects to the internet fine. It assigns an
    > address to the linksys. Anything connecting to the linksys will be able
    > to connect out via the dynalink.

    You also need to make sure that the linksys and the dynalink are not
    setup to use the same DHCP range e.g if the dynalink is set to use a 10.
    range then set the linksys to use a 192 range

    SNOman, Sep 13, 2006