    I have noticed my wired computer is runningt at 108 Mbps and the laptop is
    running at 54 Mbps!.
    Any help would be grately appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=, Mar 21, 2007

  2. "Confuseduser" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a home broadband network set up which has a desktop hardwired direct
    > to the router and a laptop which is wireless.the desktops broadband is
    > very
    > fast but the laptps cconnection is slow and video content is very poor (
    > it
    > buffers every 1-2 seconds) can I hard wire the laptop straight into the
    > router using its wireless card (it has some phone type ports in it)to get
    > better connection,or maybe there is something else i can do to speed it
    > up.
    > I have noticed my wired computer is runningt at 108 Mbps and the laptop is
    > running at 54 Mbps!.
    > Any help would be grately appreciated.

    Check your laptops owners manual. If it has an Ethernet port you can plug in
    an Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router and the Ethernet port on
    your laptop. Use a straight patch cable. You can purchase those at CompUSA,
    Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc...etc...

    I recommend either disabling or turning off the wireless hardware if you do
    that. Make sure you turn the wireless hardware back on when you travel if
    you want to access wireless hotspots...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 21, 2007

  3. This sounds a bit complicated,I am pretty much computer illeterate,can I not
    just plug the laptop straight into the router?,portability of the laptop is
    not a neccesity.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=, Mar 21, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=

    Lem Guest

    Confuseduser wrote:
    > I have a home broadband network set up which has a desktop hardwired direct
    > to the router and a laptop which is wireless.the desktops broadband is very
    > fast but the laptps cconnection is slow and video content is very poor ( it
    > buffers every 1-2 seconds) can I hard wire the laptop straight into the
    > router using its wireless card (it has some phone type ports in it)to get a
    > better connection,or maybe there is something else i can do to speed it up.
    > I have noticed my wired computer is runningt at 108 Mbps and the laptop is
    > running at 54 Mbps!.
    > Any help would be grately appreciated.

    If your laptop was really "at 54 Mbps," you wouldn't have any complaints
    about speed or stops for buffering (assuming, of course, that your
    Internet connection is speedy and reliable). As Sooner Al said, you can
    very probably connect your laptop directly to the router with an
    Ethernet cable for a fast (100 Mbps, not 108), reliable connection.
    You'll plug the cable into one of those "phone type ports" (not into the
    laptop's wireless card).

    The jack for a telephone connection is almost the same as the jack for
    the Ethernet connection, except the latter is slightly wider; make sure
    you plug the Ethernet cable into the correct jack.

    However, if you get your laptop close enough to the router to connect
    with a cable, the wireless connection will likely be faster and more
    reliable than it has been.

    If, contrary to what I just wrote, you have been experiencing the poor
    wireless connection notwithstanding that your laptop has been within 3
    to 6 feet of your router, then either you are in an extraordinarily
    electronically "noisy" environment (microwave ovens, other
    radios/wireless devices, electric motors, etc.) or something is wrong
    with your wireless setup, most likely with the hardware. Have the
    antennas fallen off the router? Is the router down on the floor behind
    the computer case?

    For a related discussion, see http://www.ezlan.net/latency.html

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Mar 21, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=

    Jim Guest

    > This sounds a bit complicated,I am pretty much computer illeterate,can I
    > not
    > just plug the laptop straight into the router?,portability of the laptop
    > is
    > not a neccesity.
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> "Confuseduser" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have a home broadband network set up which has a desktop hardwired
    >> >direct
    >> > to the router and a laptop which is wireless.the desktops broadband is
    >> > very
    >> > fast but the laptps cconnection is slow and video content is very poor
    >> > (
    >> > it
    >> > buffers every 1-2 seconds) can I hard wire the laptop straight into the
    >> > router using its wireless card (it has some phone type ports in it)to
    >> > get
    >> > better connection,or maybe there is something else i can do to speed it
    >> > up.
    >> > I have noticed my wired computer is runningt at 108 Mbps and the laptop
    >> > is
    >> > running at 54 Mbps!.
    >> > Any help would be grately appreciated.

    >> Check your laptops owners manual. If it has an Ethernet port you can plug
    >> in
    >> an Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router and the Ethernet port on
    >> your laptop. Use a straight patch cable. You can purchase those at
    >> CompUSA,
    >> Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc...etc...
    >>
    >> I recommend either disabling or turning off the wireless hardware if you
    >> do
    >> that. Make sure you turn the wireless hardware back on when you travel if
    >> you want to access wireless hotspots...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...

    Yes.

    As Sooner Al said, you need an ethernet cable to connect the ethernet port
    on your laptop to an ethernet port on your router. That is as close to
    plugging the laptop into the router as you can get.

    Disable the wireless interface by turning off the radio. I don't believe
    that it would be a good idea to have both connections active.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Ok Ive got the laptop closer it is still saying signal strength very good and
    running at 54 Mbps but video content still keeps buffering e.t.c do you think
    it could be something aside from signal strength (sorry to be a pain but
    computers really are a mystery to me!)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=, Mar 21, 2007
  7. Ok ive just tried an experiment, I loaded a website up on my dads computer
    (wiggle.co.uk) which took 20 seconds to load, then I tried loading it on my
    computer and it took 4 seconds so would this indicate a software problem with
    my dads computer?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=, Mar 21, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=

    Lem Guest

    Confuseduser wrote:
    > Ok ive just tried an experiment, I loaded a website up on my dads computer
    > (wiggle.co.uk) which took 20 seconds to load, then I tried loading it on my
    > computer and it took 4 seconds so would this indicate a software problem with
    > my dads computer?
    >
    > "Confuseduser" wrote:
    >
    >> Ok Ive got the laptop closer it is still saying signal strength very good and
    >> running at 54 Mbps but video content still keeps buffering e.t.c do you think
    >> it could be something aside from signal strength (sorry to be a pain but
    >> computers really are a mystery to me!)

    >>> If your laptop was really "at 54 Mbps," you wouldn't have any complaints
    >>> about speed or stops for buffering (assuming, of course, that your
    >>> Internet connection is speedy and reliable). As Sooner Al said, you can
    >>> very probably connect your laptop directly to the router with an
    >>> Ethernet cable for a fast (100 Mbps, not 108), reliable connection.
    >>> You'll plug the cable into one of those "phone type ports" (not into the
    >>> laptop's wireless card).
    >>>
    >>> The jack for a telephone connection is almost the same as the jack for
    >>> the Ethernet connection, except the latter is slightly wider; make sure
    >>> you plug the Ethernet cable into the correct jack.
    >>>
    >>> However, if you get your laptop close enough to the router to connect
    >>> with a cable, the wireless connection will likely be faster and more
    >>> reliable than it has been.
    >>>
    >>> If, contrary to what I just wrote, you have been experiencing the poor
    >>> wireless connection notwithstanding that your laptop has been within 3
    >>> to 6 feet of your router, then either you are in an extraordinarily
    >>> electronically "noisy" environment (microwave ovens, other
    >>> radios/wireless devices, electric motors, etc.) or something is wrong
    >>> with your wireless setup, most likely with the hardware. Have the
    >>> antennas fallen off the router? Is the router down on the floor behind
    >>> the computer case?
    >>>
    >>> For a related discussion, see http://www.ezlan.net/latency.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Before we get all distracted into concluding that your problem is
    related to your wireless system, do another experiment.

    Disable the wifi on the laptop (there may be a small, inconspicuous
    switch, or you may have to press Fn+F2 or the like). If you don't know
    how to do this, do the following:

    open Device Manager (there are many ways to do this; one way is
    Start | Run, then type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) and click OK).

    double click the entry for "Network adapters"

    there should be at least 2 entries under Network adapters. One of
    them should be your wireless adapter. Double click on that one. At the
    bottom of the "General" tab, use the drop-down box to "disable" the
    wireless network adapter. OK your way out.

    Turn off the desktop and the laptop. There should be a cable going from
    the back of the desktop to the router. Disconnect this from the desktop
    and plug it into the laptop. If it doesn't fit into the laptop's jacks,
    don't force it, but I'm guessing that one of those phone-type jacks is
    in fact an Ethernet connection.

    Now boot up to laptop. You should be able to connect to the Internet.
    Does wiggles.co.uk still take a long time to load? Do you still have
    the slow video?

    If the answers are "yes," then your problem most likely is not your
    wireless connection but that the laptop is infested with malware. If
    so, see the following:

    Slow or Sluggish Computer:
    http://aumha.org/a/health.htm - Take Out the Trash (section 4)

    If connecting the laptop directly to the router DID speed things up,
    then post back with (a) make/model of laptop, (b) make/model of router,
    (c) description of where the router is physically located (e.g., on desk
    behind desktop computer, inside closet, in the kitchen next to the
    microwave oven, next to a cordless telephone, etc.), (d) for each of the
    computers, what version of Windows (XP Home, XP Pro, XP MCE), what
    service pack, and whether you have applied all of the "critical" Windows
    Updates).

    DON'T FORGET TO RE-ENABLE THE WIRELESS ADAPTER IN THE LAPTOP WHEN YOU
    ARE FINISHED WITH THE EXPERIMENT. And re-connect the cable to the desktop.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Mar 21, 2007
  9. Hi
    As Lem mentioned above, try first to cleanup your Laptop by running
    AntiVirus Scanner and AntiSpy Scanner, and go through this process,
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 22, 2007
  10. Cheers everyone we've managed to get it working by upping the cache storage
    limit which seems to have done the trick (ok quality is not brilliant but at
    least it doesnt keep buffering now!)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWR1c2Vy?=, Mar 23, 2007