    laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
    Any help will be appreciated
    Paja

    Paja, Apr 29, 2009

  2. Let's make ping work first. Do you have 3rd party security software? If not,
    have check the windows firewall settings?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Apr 29, 2009

  3. Paja

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help, make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer
    allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
    Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
    Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
    your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Apr 29, 2009
  4. Paja

    Paja Guest

    Bob, you pointed me in the right direction. I do not have a third party
    firewall on either computer. I use Mcaffee on both computers. I unenable
    the window firewall on both computers, and still could not ping each other.
    Then unenable the Mcaffee firewalls and was able to ping the laptop from the
    desktop,but was not able to ping the desktop from the laptop. I reenable the
    Mcaffee firewall on both computers and was still able to ping the laptop.
    But when I tried to open the laptop,it said path not found.
    Thanks
    Paja

    Paja, Apr 29, 2009
  5. Thank you for the update. If the MacAfee is she issue and you want to use
    it, you may want to re-configure it to allow LAN access.

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Apr 30, 2009
  6. Paja

    Paja Guest

    I re-configured both computers, and I can file share from both computers. I
    can ping the laptop from the desktop, but not the desktop from the laptop.
    But we will not worry about the pings, file sharing is what I was tring to
    do.
    Thanks you very much Bob,

    Paja, Apr 30, 2009