    work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this with
    just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
    guidance anyone could give me please.
    David Gartrell, Nov 28, 2004

  2. If you have a broadband connections then that;s good, building a multi-homed
    PC is tough if you;re not familiar. In short, you need a wireless 802.11g
    broadband router e.g Linksys, Netgear or Belkin, and buy an 802.11 g
    card.....it can run up to 54MBPS...

    If you;re laptop has a built in wireless chip, then chances are you don;t
    need to buy an external card...

    Good luck..

    =?Utf-8?B?R2NvcnB1eg==?=, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Cheers thanks very much for your advice.

    Yes the laptop I'm hoping to get already has an 802.11b wireless adaptor
    built in so all I should need is an 802.11b broadband router and I should'nt
    need any other 'host' PC. Is that right?

    David Gartrell, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Indeed, the convenience of built-in wireless card is that..

    -not bulky when you travel..
    -most new laptops today usually came in with a built-in Intel Centrino

    So just buy the Wireless broadband route and you;re set to go.

    To give a broader view, 802.11a uses 5 GHZ and it's very expensive to buy
    802.11a equipment

    802.11b and 802.11g is very common these days,both operates a 2 GHZ and
    there;s a lot of wireless cards and routers out there....dirt cheap as cheap

    Good luck and have fun...

    =?Utf-8?B?R2NvcnB1eg==?=, Nov 28, 2004
  5. The difficulty is when you are setting up. This is because you need a PC
    connected to the router to use the web based router setup. If your wireless
    PC does not instantly connect to the router and that will probably be the
    case, this becomes impossible. Thus it is normally recommended to have a
    wired connection for setup. In this way, the PC is always connected to the
    router and the necessary IP address can be called even if the PC is not yet
    connecting to the main network. Of course, the wired and wireless
    connections can be with the same PC. The wired link is used for setup,
    switching this off, in favour of the wireless connection, when done.

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Nov 28, 2004