Connecting a Hard Drive via a caddy

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Thor, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    There are lots of external drive enclosures available for 3.5" drives. Go to
    www.tigerdirect.com for example and they have them. Alternatively, cables2go
    makes a cool USB interface cable that connects directly to the drive's IDE
    connector, and also a has power supply included, so you can simply plug the
    cable right into the drive, and into your USB ports on the new computer.
    With that, you don't even need to mount the drive into an enclosure, if you
    just want a quick temporary connection to get your data. Still, unless
    Compaq is threatening to void your warranty by opening the case (which would
    be a despicable policy), you can install the old drive in the new machine
    temporarily, by just disconnecting the CD/DVD drive cables and connecting
    them to the old harddrive (make sure the cables are oriented the same way)
    andmake sure the harddrive is laying on something stable, and insulated.
    Power upthe computer and then drag/drop the files from the old harddrive to
    the new one. Shut down, reconnect the CD/DVD drive, put the cover back on,
    and your done.

    me, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Thor

    Thagor Guest

    "me" <> wrote in news:5bTfd.35130$_g6.1612@okepread03:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > I have my old hard drive from my previous PC,and i would like to
    > access the files on it without having to install it inside my current
    > PC.(Which apparently i cant anyway becasue it's a Compaq and you have
    > to go through them to do upgrades.)
    >
    > I read on a forum that i can get a disk caddy which i can hook it
    > to,power it up externally and connect it to my current PC via USB
    > cable. I tried looking online for these caddies but i can only seem to
    > see ones for laptop HD's. Can anyone suggest what i would need to do
    > this,and what type of cable i would need?
    >
    > The Hard drive in question is a Maxtor 541DX,and under "Model" it says
    > 2B020H1 (not sure if the 0's in that code are alphabet O's or Zero's)
    >
    > Also,the hard drive has Windows 98 OS on it,whilst my current PC runs
    > XP.Will there be any conflict while trying to view the files on the
    > Maxtor?
    >
    > I have posted this request in a couple of other relevant groups also.
    > thanks in advance for any replies
    >
    > Andrew

    Here's one to set you specs on:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-145-314
    &DEPA=1

    Thagor, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Thor

    me Guest

    Thanks for the ideas guys,i'm going to look into that in more detail !!

    Andrew

    me, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Thor

    me Guest

    Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need accross
    from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i may want to get
    a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it for external
    storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same way as if i were
    formatting drive C for example ?

    thanks again
    Andrew

    me, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Thor

    Thagor Guest

    "me" <> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:

    > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
    > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
    > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
    > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
    > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
    >
    > thanks again
    > Andrew

    Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
    install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
    that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
    port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
    personal preference.

    Thagor, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Thor

    Thagor Guest

    "me" <> wrote in news:Fwjgd.17468$0j.16898@lakeread07:

    > "Thagor" <> wrote in message
    >> "me" <> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
    >>
    >> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
    >> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
    >> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
    >> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
    >> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
    >> >
    >> > thanks again
    >> > Andrew
    >> >

    >> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    >> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive.
    >> Then install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB
    >> to verify that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready
    >> through the USB port control but for the first time I always go
    >> direct to IDE cable as a personal preference.

    > Thanks,so once it's formatted,i just put the original one back in and
    > it'll work like nothing happened?
    > Then just take the newly formatted one and use it via the USB?
    >
    > Andrew

    You got it. Just make sure you partition and format the correct drive if
    you have more than one attached to the system.

    Thagor, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Thor

    me Guest

    me, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Thor

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thagor wrote:

    > "me" <> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
    >
    > > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
    > > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
    > > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
    > > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
    > > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
    > >
    > > thanks again
    > > Andrew
    > >

    > Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    > partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
    > install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
    > that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
    > port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
    > personal preference.

    And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!
    I have all of my drives in removeable carriers, the main master HD is
    connected as Primary Master, with the second bay as Secondary Master.
    About once a week, i "backup" the main master by cloning to another HD
    (same size) in the second bay.
    When done, it is removed and stored in a safe place.
    4 times over a 10 year period, i have used a copy to replace a dead or
    dying main master.
    That copy then becomes the main master, and i buy a replacement for
    clone copy use.
    I even have extra drives for other OSes.

    Robert Baer, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Thagor wrote:
    >>
    >> "me" <> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
    >>
    >> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
    >> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
    >> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
    >> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
    >> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
    >> >
    >> > thanks again
    >> > Andrew
    >> >

    >> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    >> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
    >> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
    >> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
    >> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
    >> personal preference.

    > And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!

    if you are speaking in terms of mere throughput, it's not that much faster
    than an external USB 2.0 drive. USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/sec throughput. I
    find that my external USB 2.0 drives tend to respond and perform almost as
    fast as my internal ATA-100 drives when transferring data to and from
    various drives.

    Thor, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Thor

    me Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Thagor wrote:

    > >> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    > >> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
    > >> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to

    verify
    > >> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
    > >> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as

    > >> personal preference.

    > > And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!

    > if you are speaking in terms of mere throughput, it's not that much faster
    > than an external USB 2.0 drive. USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/sec throughput.

    > find that my external USB 2.0 drives tend to respond and perform almost as
    > fast as my internal ATA-100 drives when transferring data to and from
    > various drives.

    Plus the USB-based drive is only going to be a secondary storage unit
    anyway,mainly for storing videos temporarily and keep the space free on my
    main C drive.

    Thor,the drive i have on my PC now is an supposedly 80 gig,I have C and D
    drives on it,C is NTFS and is 67 gigs,and D is FAT32 and is 8 gigs (I dont
    know how they work out that to be 80gig,but there you go.) So does that mean
    that it is one drive that is partitioned? I dont really undertand the
    importance of that,I've never had to format a hard drive,someone else has
    always done it for me.
    Why didnt they just leave it all as C drive instead of splitting it up? I
    never use the D drive.

    Andrew

    me, Oct 29, 2004
  12. Thor

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:32:18 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >if you are speaking in terms of mere throughput, it's not that much faster
    >than an external USB 2.0 drive. USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/sec throughput.

    I wish for speed like that, I can only get 20MB/s (with an 80GB drive)

    derek / nul, Oct 30, 2004
  13. Thor

    Thor Guest

    > Thor,the drive i have on my PC now is an supposedly 80 gig,I have C and D
    > drives on it,C is NTFS and is 67 gigs,and D is FAT32 and is 8 gigs (I dont
    > know how they work out that to be 80gig,but there you go.)

    it's the difference in two methods of how the drive's capacity is
    determined. The drive manufacturer measures capacity using Base 10
    calculation (for example 1GB=1000MB) but software usually displays capacity
    and memory using Base 2 binary calculation (1GB=1024MB). So a drive that is
    advertised as 80GB is measured as ~74GB by the operating system software in
    most cases.

    > So does that mean
    > that it is one drive that is partitioned?

    Yes.

    > I dont really undertand the
    > importance of that,I've never had to format a hard drive,someone else has
    > always done it for me.
    > Why didnt they just leave it all as C drive instead of splitting it up? I
    > never use the D drive.

    most likely, the smaller second partition is a repository for a factory
    system recovery file archive. Very commonplace with factory-built PCs. When
    you run the system recovery, the files archived on that partition are used
    to reconstruct the software to a factory original configuration. This makes
    the recovery process much quicker, but the downfall is that if the harddrive
    fails, you lose the recovery files. A good manufacturer would supply CDs in
    place of, or in addition to a harddrive-based recovery system, just in case
    of a harddrive failure. Some manufacturers (like HP) usually do not.

    Thor, Oct 30, 2004
  14. Thor

    me Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > Thor,the drive i have on my PC now is an supposedly 80 gig,I have C and

    > > drives on it,C is NTFS and is 67 gigs,and D is FAT32 and is 8 gigs (I

    dont
    > > know how they work out that to be 80gig,but there you go.)

    > it's the difference in two methods of how the drive's capacity is
    > determined. The drive manufacturer measures capacity using Base 10
    > calculation (for example 1GB=1000MB) but software usually displays

    capacity
    > and memory using Base 2 binary calculation (1GB=1024MB). So a drive that

    is
    > advertised as 80GB is measured as ~74GB by the operating system software

    in
    > most cases.
    >
    > > So does that mean
    > > that it is one drive that is partitioned?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > I dont really undertand the
    > > importance of that,I've never had to format a hard drive,someone else

    has
    > > always done it for me.
    > > Why didnt they just leave it all as C drive instead of splitting it up?

    > > never use the D drive.

    > most likely, the smaller second partition is a repository for a factory
    > system recovery file archive. Very commonplace with factory-built PCs.

    When
    > you run the system recovery, the files archived on that partition are used
    > to reconstruct the software to a factory original configuration. This

    makes
    > the recovery process much quicker, but the downfall is that if the

    harddrive
    > fails, you lose the recovery files. A good manufacturer would supply CDs

    in
    > place of, or in addition to a harddrive-based recovery system, just in

    case
    > of a harddrive failure. Some manufacturers (like HP) usually do not.

    Well considering that this is a Compaq bought through HP .......

    Also, i checked out the files on D and it does contain the recovery files..

    On D there is 5.9 gb free space,but as it is in FAt32,is it advisable that i
    shouldnt use this for saving.storing files,or would it not matter?I wasnt
    sure so i never used it to save anything.

    Andrew

    me, Oct 30, 2004
  15. Thor

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Thagor wrote:

    > >> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
    > >> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
    > >> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
    > >> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
    > >> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
    > >> personal preference.

    > > And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!

    > if you are speaking in terms of mere throughput, it's not that much faster
    > than an external USB 2.0 drive. USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/sec throughput. I
    > find that my external USB 2.0 drives tend to respond and perform almost as
    > fast as my internal ATA-100 drives when transferring data to and from
    > various drives.

    I found the relative speed to be 2-3 times slower, especially on
    *large* files.

    Robert Baer, Oct 30, 2004
  16. Thor

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:53:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    ><snip>...but I'd prefer to keep the drive
    >safely in it's enclosure, and use the USB 2.0 connection when I back up my
    >important files.

    Or simply use an IDE caddy.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 31, 2004
  17. Thor

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Trent©" wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:53:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    > ><snip>...but I'd prefer to keep the drive
    > >safely in it's enclosure, and use the USB 2.0 connection when I back up my
    > >important files.

    > Or simply use an IDE caddy.
    >
    > Have a nice one...
    >
    > Trent

    Ayie-yup! Jess whut eye dew!

    Robert Baer, Nov 1, 2004
  18. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:53:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    >><snip>...but I'd prefer to keep the drive
    >>safely in it's enclosure, and use the USB 2.0 connection when I back up my
    >>important files.

    > Or simply use an IDE caddy.

    I don't prefer them.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2004
  19. Thor

    HF Guest

    Ebuyer have got them - just bought one - has it's own power supply.
    "me" <> wrote in message news:5bTfd.35130$_g6.1612@okepread03...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I have my old hard drive from my previous PC,and i would like to access

    the
    > files on it without having to install it inside my current PC.(Which
    > apparently i cant anyway becasue it's a Compaq and you have to go through
    > them to do upgrades.)
    >
    > I read on a forum that i can get a disk caddy which i can hook it to,power
    > it up externally and connect it to my current PC via USB cable.
    > I tried looking online for these caddies but i can only seem to see ones

    for
    > laptop HD's. Can anyone suggest what i would need to do this,and what type
    > of cable i would need?
    >
    > The Hard drive in question is a Maxtor 541DX,and under "Model" it says
    > 2B020H1 (not sure if the 0's in that code are alphabet O's or Zero's)
    >
    > Also,the hard drive has Windows 98 OS on it,whilst my current PC runs
    > XP.Will there be any conflict while trying to view the files on the

    Maxtor?

    > I have posted this request in a couple of other relevant groups also.
    > thanks in advance for any replies
    >
    > Andrew

    ---

    HF, Nov 8, 2004