    that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be using it
    to bring content to my big screen TV.

    Thanks all!
    Steve Bosell, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Steve Bosell

    bmoag Guest

    There are a variety of ways to connect a computer to a regular or HDTV.
    However many HDTVs specifically warn against doing so in their instruction
    manuals. I would presume this is because of concern that if left unattended
    and the computer outputs the same screen image for an extended period the
    display could be damaged.
    bmoag, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Steve Bosell

    atec77 Guest

    Steve Bosell wrote:
    > I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one of my
    > PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to have a PC
    > connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video" connection work just as
    > well? (my PC's video card has an s-video output). Or, would I be better
    > off shopping for a TV that does have a bonefide computer hook up?
    >
    > Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's just one
    > that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be using it
    > to bring content to my big screen TV.
    >
    > Thanks all!

    I used S-video and left the screen saver at 7 minutes in case its
    unatended.
    Check the details as many screens wont handle more than 800 x 600
    atec77, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Steve Bosell

    MarkMandell Guest

    "Steve Bosell" <> wrote in message
    > I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one of
    > my PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to have a
    > PC connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video" connection work
    > just as well? (my PC's video card has an s-video output). Or, would I be
    > better off shopping for a TV that does have a bonefide computer hook up?
    >
    > Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's just
    > one that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be
    > using it to bring content to my big screen TV.
    >
    > Thanks all!

    This should be OK but you DON'T want to DVD's from the PC(if you have a DVD
    player on it)through the plasma. It'll wreck it in no time flat!
    MarkMandell, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Steve Bosell

    Steve Bosell Guest

    Thanks, this PC only has a CD drive so I won't be using it to play DVD's,
    but I'm curious, why would it harm the plasma TV if I did play DVD's from
    the computer?
    Steve Bosell, Jul 28, 2006
  6. Steve Bosell

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    atec77 wrote:
    > Steve Bosell wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one
    >> of my PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to
    >> have a PC connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video"
    >> connection work just as well? (my PC's video card has an s-video
    >> output). Or, would I be better off shopping for a TV that does have a
    >> bonefide computer hook up?
    >>
    >> Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's
    >> just one that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will
    >> only be using it to bring content to my big screen TV.
    >>
    >> Thanks all!
    >>

    > I used S-video and left the screen saver at 7 minutes in case its
    > unatended.
    > Check the details as many screens wont handle more than 800 x 600

    A plasma screen is very prone to burn in, so
    I would not advise to use it for computer
    screens. Even tv logos may become permanently
    visible.
    Sjouke Burry, Jul 28, 2006