    from transfer speed) ?

    Thanks,

    Mel Barlow

    Mel Barlow, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Mel Barlow

    Patrick Guest

    If you want, you can go to an electronics store like Circuit City or BestBuy
    and get a PCI card that has Firewire ports. It costs about $40. But I do not
    know any down sides.

    Patrick, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Mel Barlow

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Mel Barlow typed:
    > Can anyone advise?
    >
    > I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
    > to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
    > any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
    > from transfer speed) ?

    I believe Firewire connected devices, when correctly configured, can also
    control the basic operations of cameras etc. I don't believe USB2 can .. ;)

    For simplicity I'd get a PCI firewire port ... any half-decent computer
    store will have them .. that way you don't pay any extra for USB
    compatibility. Though in many cases the USB compatibility is simply a
    matter of cabling .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Mel Barlow

    tigercat Guest

    what O/S are u running? i just went thru the same thing. i run win xp pro
    and got a belkin firewire pci card [3 ports]. i must say, the first one i
    bought didn't work, and the second one came in different colored packaging
    and included a CD with various s/w. i installed the card and booted up, and
    XP immediately recognized the card - i didn't have to do anything.

    when i connected the camcorder i used MS Movie Maker which basically takes
    over the device and you control it with the s/w. it's pretty
    straightforward from there.

    good luck.

    p.s. - the first card i got and installed caused my PC not to boot at all -
    no bios or anything. i hope this doesn't happen to you - i think i just had
    a bad card, which is also what the manufacturer thought.

    tigercat, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Mel Barlow

    Plato Guest

    Mel Barlow wrote:

    > I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
    > to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
    > any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
    > from transfer speed) ?

    Just make sure the pc you are buying has at least some open pci slots in
    case you want to add a firewire card in the future. Reason I saying this
    is I'm seeing many pcs these days with only one pci slot and once you
    add cable it's used up for the nic. Or it may come with a nic onboard
    but if you need dial up then you use the one slot for the modem if you
    go internal.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 28, 2004