    need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in news::

    > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to
    > connect to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of
    > laptops with wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server
    > without having to plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't
    > get the laptop to connect to the network or the internet. Do I need to
    > set up an IP address on each laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too
    > sure what I need to be looking for. The laptops see the wireless
    > router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to be plugged into the lan
    > or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I need to set it up
    > for static ip or obtain automatically?

    Wireless is a weak link when it comes to a secure anything, especially a
    wireless B model with WEP that can be easily cracked and compromised. You
    should think about having a wireless setup within the *trusted
    zone*/private side of a secure network situation. The wireless router
    setup should be in the non-trusted zone doing a router VPN solution into
    the trusted zone of the network. Otherwise, you are surely setting the
    network up to be compromised.

    I suggest that you visit alt.internet.wireless and
    comp.security.firewalls to get the advice you need to do things
    correctly.

    BTW, there can only be one DHCP server on the network and it means that
    the 11S4 cannot be a DHCP server too --- part of your problem. You may
    want to contact Linksys Tech Support on how to configure the router
    properly, but that's after you visit the other two NG(s).

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    thanks. I tried linksys support. The fellow spoke so fast I could not
    understand him.

    Greg, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to

    connect
    > to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
    > wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having

    > plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to

    connect
    > to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
    > laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking

    for.
    > The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
    > be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
    > need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

    you introduced a router within your network... it will block your internal
    network's broadcast and block certain packets.
    if there is an option to disable routing, do so...

    for all the security concerns, the range on linksys BEFW11S4 is very
    limited. the hacker needs to be inside the facility.
    any hacker that has that kind of access will not bother with wireless, since
    he will have access to computers and ports.

    if you wish to setup routing then you need to learn about routing and your
    network's setup. a router connects separate networks together.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > for all the security concerns, the range on linksys BEFW11S4 is very
    > limited. the hacker needs to be inside the facility.
    > any hacker that has that kind of access will not bother with wireless,
    > since he will have access to computers and ports.

    And somehow you know the building layout. And somehow you know the mind of
    someone willing to hack a network and what they are and are not willing to
    do. I suggest you drop that statement in a wireless or security NG and
    watch the reaction.

    --
    Duane :)

    I am an *unregistered* Linux user. Unreg# 99999999999999999
    Duane Arnold, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > > for all the security concerns, the range on linksys BEFW11S4 is very
    > > limited. the hacker needs to be inside the facility.
    > > any hacker that has that kind of access will not bother with wireless,
    > > since he will have access to computers and ports.

    > And somehow you know the building layout. And somehow you know the mind of
    > someone willing to hack a network and what they are and are not willing to
    > do. I suggest you drop that statement in a wireless or security NG and
    > watch the reaction.
    >
    > --
    > Duane :)

    i was part of the wireless network development team at lucent's bell labs
    (1999).... 8^P

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > for all the security concerns, the range on linksys BEFW11S4 is
    >> > very limited. the hacker needs to be inside the facility.
    >> > any hacker that has that kind of access will not bother with
    >> > wireless, since he will have access to computers and ports.

    >> And somehow you know the building layout. And somehow you know the
    >> mind of someone willing to hack a network and what they are and are
    >> not willing to do. I suggest you drop that statement in a wireless or
    >> security NG and watch the reaction.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duane :)

    > i was part of the wireless network development team at lucent's bell
    > labs (1999).... 8^P
    >
    > -a|ex

    What does that have to do with anything and installing a wireless setup
    within the safe zone in a secure LAN situation for business, which any
    security expert worth his or her beans will not allow to happen? What
    does it have to do with you knowing the layout of a building and one's
    ability to get within range of a wireless broadcast? And what does it
    have to do with knowing the mind set of someone willing to hack a network
    wired or wireless?

    The bottom line is if you leave the door open, the wrong dogs may come
    home.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > What does that have to do with anything and installing a wireless setup
    > within the safe zone in a secure LAN situation for business, which any
    > security expert worth his or her beans will not allow to happen?

    i'm not the OP... a comment was stated about security being an issue. the OP
    has no concerns about that issue and i agree. i know "secured wireless" is
    an oxymoron, but that is not the issue here.

    >What
    > does it have to do with you knowing the layout of a building and one's
    > ability to get within range of a wireless broadcast? And what does it
    > have to do with knowing the mind set of someone willing to hack a network
    > wired or wireless?

    eh? it's called (corporate) security...

    > The bottom line is if you leave the door open, the wrong dogs may come
    > home.

    an open door in a secured environment is still secured.
    once an intruder breaches the environment, a closed door is no longer an
    obstacle.

    -a|ex ";^P
    127.0.0.1, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Greg

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What does that have to do with anything and installing a wireless
    >> setup within the safe zone in a secure LAN situation for business,
    >> which any security expert worth his or her beans will not allow to
    >> happen?

    > i'm not the OP... a comment was stated about security being an issue.
    > the OP has no concerns about that issue and i agree. i know "secured
    > wireless" is an oxymoron, but that is not the issue here.

    I have to say that it is a concern. And again, I suggest you post your
    original statement in either alt.internat.wireless or
    comp.security.firewalls about a wireless situation in a secure LAN
    environment and see how the Top Guns will react. It has been discussed
    more than a few times.

    >>What
    >> does it have to do with you knowing the layout of a building and
    >> one's ability to get within range of a wireless broadcast? And what
    >> does it have to do with knowing the mind set of someone willing to
    >> hack a network wired or wireless?

    > eh? it's called (corporate) security...

    You can take the word corporate out of it, because security is a concern
    whether it's corporate or not, especially wireless.

    >> The bottom line is if you leave the door open, the wrong dogs may
    >> come home.

    > an open door in a secured environment is still secured.
    > once an intruder breaches the environment, a closed door is no longer
    > an obstacle.

    I don't see you posting in either NG I mention above with any advice.
    Therefore, I'll have to go with the Top Guns in those NG(s) and their
    advice in this area concerning wireless being implemented into a secure
    LAN environment.

    There are not too many people posting with 127.0.0.1, although you could
    be a different person behind 127.0.0.1. Are you not the 127.0.0.1 that
    had a big blow-out with your machine making contact with IANA with a
    couple of TG(s) in security.firewall over a year ago, as I'll never
    forget that situation.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > I have to say that it is a concern. And again, I suggest you post your
    > original statement in either alt.internat.wireless or
    > comp.security.firewalls about a wireless situation in a secure LAN
    > environment and see how the Top Guns will react. It has been discussed
    > more than a few times.

    i'm not getting paid debating IT security with NG's.
    but i do get paid securing the network @ work.

    > >>What
    > >> does it have to do with you knowing the layout of a building and
    > >> one's ability to get within range of a wireless broadcast? And what
    > >> does it have to do with knowing the mind set of someone willing to
    > >> hack a network wired or wireless?

    > > eh? it's called (corporate) security...

    > You can take the word corporate out of it, because security is a concern
    > whether it's corporate or not, especially wireless.

    corporate security pays more than securing someone's game machine.

    > >> The bottom line is if you leave the door open, the wrong dogs may
    > >> come home.

    > > an open door in a secured environment is still secured.
    > > once an intruder breaches the environment, a closed door is no longer
    > > an obstacle.

    > I don't see you posting in either NG I mention above with any advice.
    > Therefore, I'll have to go with the Top Guns in those NG(s) and their
    > advice in this area concerning wireless being implemented into a secure
    > LAN environment.

    this NG alone keeps me entertained for at least an hour.

    > There are not too many people posting with 127.0.0.1, although you could
    > be a different person behind 127.0.0.1. Are you not the 127.0.0.1 that
    > had a big blow-out with your machine making contact with IANA with a
    > couple of TG(s) in security.firewall over a year ago, as I'll never
    > forget that situation.
    >
    > Duane :)

    there's another 127.0.0.1, just compare the headers...
    the NG i frequent are:

    alt.games.diablo2
    alt.certification.mcse
    alt.home.repair (very educational)
    alt.satellite.direcpc

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    -snipped-

    > Duane :)

    methinks you are not in the IT business...

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 27, 2004
  12. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in news:f0vXc.13932$2L3.8303
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have to say that it is a concern. And again, I suggest you post your
    >> original statement in either alt.internat.wireless or
    >> comp.security.firewalls about a wireless situation in a secure LAN
    >> environment and see how the Top Guns will react. It has been

    discussed
    >> more than a few times.

    > i'm not getting paid debating IT security with NG's.
    > but i do get paid securing the network @ work.

    >> > eh? it's called (corporate) security...

    >> You can take the word corporate out of it, because security is a

    concern
    >> whether it's corporate or not, especially wireless.

    > corporate security pays more than securing someone's game machine.

    >> > an open door in a secured environment is still secured.
    >> > once an intruder breaches the environment, a closed door is no

    longer
    >> > an obstacle.

    >> I don't see you posting in either NG I mention above with any advice.
    >> Therefore, I'll have to go with the Top Guns in those NG(s) and their
    >> advice in this area concerning wireless being implemented into a

    secure
    >> LAN environment.

    > this NG alone keeps me entertained for at least an hour.
    >
    >> There are not too many people posting with 127.0.0.1, although you

    could
    >> be a different person behind 127.0.0.1. Are you not the 127.0.0.1 that
    >> had a big blow-out with your machine making contact with IANA with a
    >> couple of TG(s) in security.firewall over a year ago, as I'll never
    >> forget that situation.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > there's another 127.0.0.1, just compare the headers...
    > the NG i frequent are:
    >
    > alt.games.diablo2
    > alt.certification.mcse
    > alt.home.repair (very educational)
    > alt.satellite.direcpc
    >
    > -a|ex

    You need to stay there.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2004
  13. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in news:35vXc.13940$2L3.8211
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >
    > -snipped-
    >
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > methinks you are not in the IT business...
    >
    > -a|ex

    Oh, me been doing this for 30 years or so being a programming consultant
    or worked fulltime as a programmer for TRW, Rockwell International,
    Hughes Helicopters, First Interstate Bank of Calif., Archer Daniels
    Midland, Swiss RE Life and Health, Midland Life Insurance just to name a
    few of those big companies that paid or is paying the $$$$ for my
    expertise.

    I have to attend 3 weeks of training starting Monday on the .Net
    solutions that ADM is footing the bill. I got the MCP back in 2000 and
    working on the MCSD for the .NET solutions.

    This old dog has been doing this for a little bit of time.

    And as I move back to consulting in a couple of years, I'll combine my
    securities expertise and keep the $$$$ flowing doing programming for the
    big boys and security setups for small companies and mom and pop
    companies, based on things I have leaned about security from the Top Dogs
    in security. There is one or two floating around in the NG.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2004
  14. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in news:35vXc.13940$2L3.8211
    > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    > >
    > > methinks you are not in the IT business...
    > >
    > > -a|ex
    > >

    > Oh, me been doing this for 30 years or so being a programming consultant
    > And as I move back to consulting in a couple of years, I'll combine my
    > securities expertise and keep the $$$$ flowing doing programming for the
    > big boys and security setups for small companies and mom and pop
    > companies, based on things I have leaned about security from the Top Dogs
    > in security. There is one or two floating around in the NG.
    >
    > Duane :)

    as i mentioned, you haven't been in the IT business long enough...

    you can have the most brilliant IT security developer in your staff,
    but it's all meaningless if you can't persuade the board of directors
    (senior executives) to approve your budget.

    -a|ex ":^p
    127.0.0.1, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in message

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in news:35vXc.13940$2L3.8211
    > > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    > > >
    > > > methinks you are not in the IT business...
    > > >
    > > > -a|ex
    > > >

    > > Oh, me been doing this for 30 years or so being a programming consultant
    > > And as I move back to consulting in a couple of years, I'll combine my
    > > securities expertise and keep the $$$$ flowing doing programming for the
    > > big boys and security setups for small companies and mom and pop
    > > companies, based on things I have leaned about security from the Top

    Dogs
    > > in security. There is one or two floating around in the NG.
    > >
    > > Duane :)

    > as i mentioned, you haven't been in the IT business long enough...
    >
    > you can have the most brilliant IT security developer in your staff,
    > but it's all meaningless if you can't persuade the board of directors
    > (senior executives) to approve your budget.

    I was President of my own company with a couple business partners and I got
    that money for my budget. I help IT Directors make that decision and several
    other VP's in companies make that financial decision in IT solutions. So, I
    don't need to have my hands on the budget, as long as I am being PAID and
    they do what I ask.. When I speak they do listen. In the case of an IT
    Director that didn't have my support, they kicked him to the street.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Greg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in message
    > >
    > > you can have the most brilliant IT security developer in your staff,
    > > but it's all meaningless if you can't persuade the board of directors
    > > (senior executives) to approve your budget.

    > I was President of my own company with a couple business partners and I

    got
    > that money for my budget. I help IT Directors make that decision and

    several
    > other VP's in companies make that financial decision in IT solutions. So,

    > don't need to have my hands on the budget, as long as I am being PAID and
    > they do what I ask.. When I speak they do listen. In the case of an IT
    > Director that didn't have my support, they kicked him to the street.
    >
    > Duane :)

    time to put my boots on, where did i put that shovel?

    you lost coherency.
    so the company decided to kick you out as well...
    stick to skrypt writing there bud.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 28, 2004
  17. Greg

    Michael Guest

    127.0.0.1 wrote:

    > time to put my boots on, where did i put that shovel?
    >
    > you lost coherency.
    > so the company decided to kick you out as well...
    > stick to skrypt writing there bud.

    Duane is a skrypt kiddie? I knew I liked the guy.

    michael
    Michael, Aug 28, 2004
  18. Greg

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > you can have the most brilliant IT security developer in your
    >> > staff, but it's all meaningless if you can't persuade the board of
    >> > directors (senior executives) to approve your budget.

    >> I was President of my own company with a couple business partners and

    > got
    >> that money for my budget. I help IT Directors make that decision and

    > several
    >> other VP's in companies make that financial decision in IT solutions.
    >> So,

    >> don't need to have my hands on the budget, as long as I am being PAID
    >> and they do what I ask.. When I speak they do listen. In the case of
    >> an IT Director that didn't have my support, they kicked him to the
    >> street.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > time to put my boots on, where did i put that shovel?
    >
    > you lost coherency.
    > so the company decided to kick you out as well...
    > stick to skrypt writing there bud.
    >

    > -a|ex

    Send me your email address to your job at Toco Bell as you don't deserve
    the job. <g>

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 28, 2004