    then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as well
    as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

    Kate Arnold, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Kate Arnold

    Wizard Guest

    You will either need an addition ethernet card in the one connected to
    the DSL line or a router.

    Wizard, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Kate Arnold

    Thor Guest

    "Kate Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > I've got 2 PC's that I want to connect in order to share one printer and

    one
    > DSL connection. Both PC's have ethernet cards and one is already

    connected
    > to the DSL via a cable/DSL modem. I was told by a friend to buy an

    ethernet
    > switch in order to network the PC's. I purchased a D-Link 8 port

    10/100Mbps
    > Switch. Is this all I need to set up the connection because the diagram

    on
    > the box shows the two PC's connected to the switch, which is then

    connected
    > to a router(?) which is in turn connected to the cable/DSL modem, which is
    > then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as well
    > as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    The cable/dsl router is the device that allows the sharing of the broadband
    internet connection between multiple PCs. A switch alone does not accomplish
    this. It merely provides network connectivity between devices. If you buy a
    router with a built-in switch, you eliminate the need for the separate
    switch you just bought. In that scenario, the router would be connected to
    the cable/dsl modem, and then you would connect both of your PCs to the
    router's ethernet ports.

    If you want to use your D-Link switch, you may do so, but you will still
    have to buy a router, and connect it as your diagram shows.

    Thor, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Kate Arnold

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Kate Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've got 2 PC's that I want to connect in order to share one printer and

    > one
    >
    >>DSL connection. Both PC's have ethernet cards and one is already

    > connected
    >
    >>to the DSL via a cable/DSL modem. I was told by a friend to buy an

    > ethernet
    >
    >>switch in order to network the PC's. I purchased a D-Link 8 port

    > 10/100Mbps
    >
    >>Switch. Is this all I need to set up the connection because the diagram

    > on
    >
    >>the box shows the two PC's connected to the switch, which is then

    > connected
    >
    >>to a router(?) which is in turn connected to the cable/DSL modem, which is
    >>then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as well
    >>as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    > The cable/dsl router is the device that allows the sharing of the broadband
    > internet connection between multiple PCs. A switch alone does not accomplish
    > this. It merely provides network connectivity between devices. If you buy a
    > router with a built-in switch, you eliminate the need for the separate
    > switch you just bought. In that scenario, the router would be connected to
    > the cable/dsl modem, and then you would connect both of your PCs to the
    > router's ethernet ports.
    >
    > If you want to use your D-Link switch, you may do so, but you will still
    > have to buy a router, and connect it as your diagram shows.

    I wonder why my setup works then Thor? I must have fluked a
    combination which somehow worked.

    Originally I was using a USB ADSL modem and ICS with two computers here.
    I added a third computer, and picked up a Net brand SH9005A switch
    http://www.wiretek.com.au/momex/NavCode/product.info/ProductID/356
    I then tried a different modem, a Lucent Cellpipe 20A ethernet, and XP
    "automagically" set it up and all works fine.

    My setup is Cellpipe modem to switch, then network computers are plugged
    into the switch. Connection type is shown as WAN miniport and has the
    advantage that I do not have to have my main computer switched on all
    the time. If I leave the modem and switch powered up, each computer
    may connect when required, regardless of state of the others.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Kate Arnold

    Kate Arnold Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Kate Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > I've got 2 PC's that I want to connect in order to share one printer and

    > one
    > > DSL connection. Both PC's have ethernet cards and one is already

    > connected
    > > to the DSL via a cable/DSL modem. I was told by a friend to buy an

    > ethernet
    > > switch in order to network the PC's. I purchased a D-Link 8 port

    > 10/100Mbps
    > > Switch. Is this all I need to set up the connection because the diagram

    > on
    > > the box shows the two PC's connected to the switch, which is then

    > connected
    > > to a router(?) which is in turn connected to the cable/DSL modem, which

    is
    > > then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as

    well
    > > as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    > The cable/dsl router is the device that allows the sharing of the

    broadband
    > internet connection between multiple PCs. A switch alone does not

    accomplish
    > this. It merely provides network connectivity between devices. If you buy

    > router with a built-in switch, you eliminate the need for the separate
    > switch you just bought. In that scenario, the router would be connected to
    > the cable/dsl modem, and then you would connect both of your PCs to the
    > router's ethernet ports.
    >
    > If you want to use your D-Link switch, you may do so, but you will still
    > have to buy a router, and connect it as your diagram shows.

    Thank you for the help! One more question- How do I know if a router has a
    built in switch? I've been browsing some routers but they don't mention
    having a built in switch.

    Kate Arnold, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Kate Arnold

    Thor Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >
    > > "Kate Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I've got 2 PC's that I want to connect in order to share one printer and

    > > one
    > >
    > >>DSL connection. Both PC's have ethernet cards and one is already

    > > connected
    > >
    > >>to the DSL via a cable/DSL modem. I was told by a friend to buy an

    > > ethernet
    > >
    > >>switch in order to network the PC's. I purchased a D-Link 8 port

    > > 10/100Mbps
    > >
    > >>Switch. Is this all I need to set up the connection because the diagram

    > > on
    > >
    > >>the box shows the two PC's connected to the switch, which is then

    > > connected
    > >
    > >>to a router(?) which is in turn connected to the cable/DSL modem, which

    is
    > >>then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as

    well
    > >>as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    > > The cable/dsl router is the device that allows the sharing of the

    broadband
    > > internet connection between multiple PCs. A switch alone does not

    accomplish
    > > this. It merely provides network connectivity between devices. If you

    buy a
    > > router with a built-in switch, you eliminate the need for the separate
    > > switch you just bought. In that scenario, the router would be connected

    > > the cable/dsl modem, and then you would connect both of your PCs to the
    > > router's ethernet ports.
    > >
    > > If you want to use your D-Link switch, you may do so, but you will still
    > > have to buy a router, and connect it as your diagram shows.
    > >

    > I wonder why my setup works then Thor? I must have fluked a
    > combination which somehow worked.
    >
    > Originally I was using a USB ADSL modem and ICS with two computers here.
    > I added a third computer, and picked up a Net brand SH9005A switch
    > http://www.wiretek.com.au/momex/NavCode/product.info/ProductID/356
    > I then tried a different modem, a Lucent Cellpipe 20A ethernet, and XP
    > "automagically" set it up and all works fine.
    >
    > My setup is Cellpipe modem to switch, then network computers are plugged
    > into the switch. Connection type is shown as WAN miniport and has the
    > advantage that I do not have to have my main computer switched on all
    > the time. If I leave the modem and switch powered up, each computer
    > may connect when required, regardless of state of the others.

    One of two possibilites. Either your cable/DSL modem has built-in NAT
    routing capability, or your ISP allows multiple concurrent IP address
    assignments on your account (many business accounts do this).

    Thor, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Kate Arnold

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Kate Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > > I've got 2 PC's that I want to connect in order to share one printer

    and
    > > one
    > > > DSL connection. Both PC's have ethernet cards and one is already

    > > connected
    > > > to the DSL via a cable/DSL modem. I was told by a friend to buy an

    > > ethernet
    > > > switch in order to network the PC's. I purchased a D-Link 8 port

    > > 10/100Mbps
    > > > Switch. Is this all I need to set up the connection because the

    diagram
    > > on
    > > > the box shows the two PC's connected to the switch, which is then

    > > connected
    > > > to a router(?) which is in turn connected to the cable/DSL modem,

    which
    > is
    > > > then connected to the internet. So do I need to purchase a router as

    > well
    > > > as the Switch that I've already purchased?

    > > The cable/dsl router is the device that allows the sharing of the

    > broadband
    > > internet connection between multiple PCs. A switch alone does not

    > accomplish
    > > this. It merely provides network connectivity between devices. If you

    buy
    > > router with a built-in switch, you eliminate the need for the separate
    > > switch you just bought. In that scenario, the router would be connected

    > > the cable/dsl modem, and then you would connect both of your PCs to the
    > > router's ethernet ports.
    > >
    > > If you want to use your D-Link switch, you may do so, but you will still
    > > have to buy a router, and connect it as your diagram shows.
    > >

    > Thank you for the help! One more question- How do I know if a router has

    > built in switch? I've been browsing some routers but they don't mention
    > having a built in switch.

    Visually, they will have more than one ethernet connection port. A router
    with no built-in switch will have an ethernet "WAN" port (to connect to your
    cable/dsl modem), and an ethernet "LAN" port (to connect to your PC, or a
    separate switch) and no other ethernet connections. A router with a built-in
    switch will have a WAN port, and *multiple* LAN connection ports for
    connecting more than one PC.

    Thor, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Kate Arnold

    Kate Arnold Guest

    > Visually, they will have more than one ethernet connection port. A router
    > with no built-in switch will have an ethernet "WAN" port (to connect to

    your
    > cable/dsl modem), and an ethernet "LAN" port (to connect to your PC, or a
    > separate switch) and no other ethernet connections. A router with a

    built-in
    > switch will have a WAN port, and *multiple* LAN connection ports for
    > connecting more than one PC.

    Ah! I see. Thanks very much for your help!

    Kate Arnold, Apr 19, 2004