    any suggestions?

    thx,

    Rich
    Rich, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Rich

    Old Gringo Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I would like to connect my home PC to my laptop so I can transfer large
    > files between them.
    > I have a crossover cable but haven't been able to figure it out.
    > I called "Nerds on Site" and they hooked me up with a so-called "flaky"
    > connection.
    > Well, now their flaky connection is no longer working.
    > Both machines have windows XP.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > thx,
    >
    > Rich

    There seems to be good info here:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1104523599

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Jul 17, 2005

  3. Rich

    FML Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I would like to connect my home PC to my laptop so I can transfer large
    > files between them.
    > I have a crossover cable but haven't been able to figure it out.
    > I called "Nerds on Site" and they hooked me up with a so-called "flaky"
    > connection.
    > Well, now their flaky connection is no longer working.
    > Both machines have windows XP.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > thx,
    >
    > Rich

    This may help:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030213.shtml
    FML, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Rich

    GW Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I would like to connect my home PC to my laptop so I can transfer large
    > files between them.
    > I have a crossover cable but haven't been able to figure it out.
    > I called "Nerds on Site" and they hooked me up with a so-called "flaky"
    > connection.
    > Well, now their flaky connection is no longer working.
    > Both machines have windows XP.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > thx,
    >
    > Rich

    I'm assuming you unhooked them and when you tried to put it back
    together it failed to "just work"? I feel the easiest solution would be
    to get some sort of hub or switch at a local store along with some
    regular ethernet cables to connect them together. Tell the "Geeks on
    Site" you want a special folder on each machine to be "Shared", and a
    shortcut placed on each desktop to the other machines "Shared" folder.
    This should work like an inbox for each machine so you can move files
    between them easily as long as they are connected on the same network.
    If they do it right and the equipment is new, it shouldn't be "flaky".
    You want an ethernet cable for your desktop, laptop, and one to your
    broadband modem from the hub or switch if you have something along those
    lines.
    GW, Jul 18, 2005